“Phenominal”

Spearfishing Today Cozumel
More attraction details
Owner description: The original spearfishing adventure on Cozumel. Come for the thrill of shooting your own fish. You wanna learn how to spear? Or you just need a guide? Contact us! We will make sure that there will be memories of a lifetime! Check out our website with recent pictures!
Reviewed 23 June 2010

If you have the desire for an exciting adventure, then you need to check Leo out! Every dive is a new experience. Leo is extremely attentive to everyone's ability and needs, no one is left out! He is extremely safe and concerned for all his guests safety. I will be back and will be coming back for years to come.
My one suggestion, is when you think you are close..."get closer"!
You will see countless numbers of fish, and be amazed at the diversity in the numbers that are swimming all around you. Go spearing and enjoy!

Reviewed 16 June 2010

First off let me say that Leo is an amazing guide, but on top of that one hell of a guy.
Now that I got that out of the way, the Spearfishing experience was second to none. Although my girlfriend and I had barely any free diving experience, Leo made us into pros within 1 hour.
He started us off in shallow reefs, 20'-30' deep to enjoy the scenery and practice our diving before going out for the hunt. At first I didnt think that we needed to practice before hand because I thought we would both be natural free diving spearsmen and women.....but I was wrong. The first dive I couldn't go deeper than 10' because I was having trouble equalizing my ears, but after a couple practice dives I got the hang of it and I was able to dive to the ocean floor.
As soon as Leo saw that we were both feeling comfortable diving we got in the boat, and headed for the deeper reefs were all the prey would be waiting.
Let me just say if your an adrenaline junky spearfishing with Leo is for you. Barracudas, trigger fish, and groupers (just to name a few) will be swimming in the reefs. We followed Leo around the reefs and started spearing. We were out with him all day, he gave us fruit and refreshments that Hit The Spot. After a fantastic hunt, Leo's girlfriend picked us up from the pier, brought us to a local restaurant where they prepared the fish we had killed. That mexican restaurant prepared an awesome fish lunch!!!!
When I go back to Cozumel, Leo will be the first one I call. Leo treated us like we were family as soon as we met him on the pier. This was definitely the highlight of our vacation . If you have a chance to do one thing in Cozumel, it has to be Spearfishing with Leo!

Reviewed 14 June 2010

This is a MUST do when you're in Cozumel. Leo and Juan are great tour guides and they not only show you several different places to fish but are very knowledgeable about the sea. Spearfishing is exciting and fairly easy to pick up as beginners...but even just snorkeling around is awesome. You see all types of fish - including barracuda. Leo was great and caught 3 Trigger fish for us. He gave them to us when the trip was over and we brought it to a local restaurant to eat and it was delicious! We will definitely be seeing Leo again next time we're in Cozumel!

Reviewed 14 June 2010

leo is definitely the man for the job.the best guide with the best water and best fish anywhere.we had a great time snorkling the reefs and the scenery is unbelivable we shot somewhere around 40 fish and 60ilbs of meat.and he's pretty.its a must do in cozumel.thanks for everything leo!

Reviewed 9 June 2010

Leo’s Spear fishing
Spear Fishing in Cozumel,
First let me say that my wife and I love cursing, however we rarely book the excursions operated by the cruise line. For one, the cruise line is getting about 50-60 % of the fee and it ends up costing twice as much then if you were to go direct with the excursion you want. Furthermore the money you spend by going direct with the different tour guides apart from the cruise line go to support the community you are visiting.
That takes us to Cozumel.
About 3 months prior to our cruise my wife found on the internet what sounded like a fun excursion for the men in our group. I made contact with Leo of Leo Spearfishing by E-mail and obtained the details needed to decide if we wanted to book the trip. Leo was very helpful and encouraging. After contacting our other travel mates we decided on taking Leo up on what sounded like a fun day of snorkeling and spear fishing. ( I’m an experienced SCUBA diver but had never tried spear fishing with snorkel).
Our original group had 4 people that wanted to spearfish and 2 that wanted to just hang out and maybe snorkel around. We needed to send a copy of our driver licenses to Leo so he could obtain our license to spear fish. This was included in the price of the trip. At first it seemed a little intrusive but I could think of no other way of doing this without the help of Leo and was glad he offered this service.
On the day our ship arrived two of our cruisers took ill and could not make it. I was disappointed and concerned that I was going to be charged for the no shows. We took a short cab ride to the “Aqua Safari” peer where I saw a person in a fishing boot that looked like Leo. I had seen his picture in the many photographs on his web site. I called out to him and he docked in for us to board. I broke the news to him about the two no shows and of course he was a little disappointed but didn’t make a big deal about it. He went with the flow.
After boarding we went several miles down the coast of the island and made an all stop where Leo conducted a very thorough safety instruction about the equipment, swimming procedures and what fish were allowed to be harvest and what ones were not.
We all jumped in and rapidly drifted in the current while watching out for our next meal.
During our venture, one of our “Spearos” took in some sea water and became sick. So Leo gladly took him to a secluded beach to rest and wait for the rest of us to finish finding dinner.
We were in about 20 foot of water and I attempted to dive down to the bottom, this was a challenge due to my buoyancy. Leo made it look so easy when he went down. He encouraged us to keep trying until finally Leo located a Trigger Fish and brought it up for us. Then Leo spotted a Barracuda laying on the ocean floor. He signaled for me to follow and I watched while Leo took a shot at the fish. The Barracuda did not seem too happy at this and started to swim toward me. Leo signaled for me to take another shot at it, which I did and only then were we able to bring this great fish to the surface.
We repeated this drift n fish several more times, on the last drift my son was able to find a medium sized Trigger Fish at about 25 feet down. What a thrill for him.
We soon returned to the secluded beach to pick up our stranded co-hort and then headed back to our starting point. Prior to arriving back at port, Leo had us all stand for a photo op with him holding the fish proudly. Then Leo cleaned and de boned the fish for our consumption.
At the end of our trip Leo presented me with our fish and had his first mate lead us to a nearby restaurant that would prepare the fish for our family. Word of caution…. If Your taking a cruise ship make sure you leave your selves enough time to get back on the ship. The restaurants in this area seem to run on what’s called “Island Time”. We ended up not being able to eat our fish at the restaurant and catching a quick cab to the ship with only minutes to spare. The restaurant did box up our cooked fish and we were able to eat it on the ship.
I must say this excursion was the highlight of the our cruise and Leo was very accommodating to our varied group of swimmers and was very thoughtful to our needs, making our spearfishing more memorable.
Thanks Leo….