5,474 results
All reviewsultimate dive experiencefirst clubfishthatched roofdive shopkids poolthe oriental restaurantgreat beachswim up barkids clubdinner buffeta la carte restaurantsfamily resortpicky eaterbeach volleyballtowel artother resorts
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I have stayed with my family at the Allegro three straight years so I must see value in it.

I just got back from a long stay (9 days) at the Allegro, here is my review.

The good...
- Most of the staff is very friendly and almost all speak English
- You can get seated quickly at the restaurants most of the time
- There is almost always a bar open
- The diving is great, the dive shop is reasonable
- The beach is awesome and you can always get a lounge in the shade
- Great pools
- The kids playground is good
- Raul and the activities group is always doing something (volleyball, soccer, Spanish lessons, etc.)
- The luggage\doormen are great getting a taxi or helping with bags (yes, tip them)
- The managers and staff are usually very helpful. They fix things when you complain but its hard to complain all the time to get things right. It gets old.
- Just about all the guests are friendly

The bad:
- The food isn't good. There are always leftovers being served in various formats and the "new" food can be ok to good.
- The food is the same everyday for breakfast and lunch besides the way the leftovers may be made up.
- Dinner is bad.
- The kids pool area is always sort of broken...there is always something at the kids pool that doesn't work.
- There is usually a wait at the bar during the day...the liquor is sub par and you can't get regular booze like absolute or cuervo (you can't even pay for it). The mixed drinks like margaritas are super super sweet (probably to kill the taste of the bad booze).
- The music played everywhere is always mexican music (I get it, we are in Mexico). I mean can't you play some buffet or zach brown band once?
- They have "restaurants" that you can make reservations for but you better do it way in advance. They tell you you can't get in but they are always empty, even when they are open.
- The wine is bad. There is a wine list if you pay extra but the list is weak and hard to get a bottle at any of the bars.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Dan K
Carolina I, Assistant Manager at Allegro Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2012

Dear Dan k
It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of the resort, including our friendly staff, world-class beaches, diving and pools. We have shared your compliments with Raul and the activities team, who all appreciated it. But I was disappointed to read that we did not surpass your expectations. .
What was most concerning were your comments about the food. Please know that the hotel never serves left over’s for any meal. This goes against the strict international guidelines for standards of food quality we follow. We try to offer a variety between breakfast and lunch. For breakfast, we serve a range of cereals, yoghurts, fruit, bread and juices, as well as à la carte eggs any style. For lunch we offer a soup of the day and, as well a different daily à la carte dish that includes fish, chicken, pork and/or beef. We also serve vegetarian dishes and have a large salad bar full of many options. Every night for dinner, we offer a different themed meal, which usually receive great feedback from guests. I will share all your feedback with the executive chef. I am sorry to hear that our liquor offerings fell short of your expectations. I will speak with the manager to go over your comments.
Regarding the à la carte restaurants, I apologize for the difficulty you experienced with reservations. While there may seem to be space during dinner time, the service is personalized and in order to offer the best service to diners, we limit the number of available seats. Guests can make reservations in advance of their stay by email at agerenciaoac@mx.occidentalhotels.com. For guests that were not having able to make a reservation, we offer a waiting list. I am sorry if the wine selection was not to your satisfaction, I will address your comments with the food and beverage manager immediately.
Thank you for sharing your feedback about the kid’s water park. Repairs are planned for the pool; we are just waiting for certain parts to be delivered. As soon as the parts arrive, the repairs will be made immediately.
Regarding the music around the resort, the only place that plays all Mexican music is the snack bar. Throughout the rest of the resort, we play a variety of tunes to try to accommodate all guests’ tastes.

Once more thank you for your review and I apologize for all the inconveniences you experienced. I hope you will stay with us again so we can show you the time you have so enjoyed in the past.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

We stayed for 2 weeks and for the most part, it was very enjoyable. When we arrived we asked to be moved because of proximity to the noise from the theater and the staff was very accommodating. Watch out for the overly aggressive time share reps..... they all hang around the front Cabana !!

The food was excellent, however there always seemed to be a shortage of certain foods and line ups of people waiting, some getting very impatient. As well, long line ups for drinks on the beach. We would also suggest trying to get a room in the middle of the resort versus near the front

I would definitely recommend the Allegro, but for us, 2 weeks was a little to long

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hakunamatta62
Reviewed 24 July 2012 via mobile

I didn't stay here do don't read this for that!
I lost my phone and a family at Allegro turned it into the front desk. At the airport we found out it was turned in but they refused to send it with a driver to the airport. We offered to pay.
Then we have been trying to communicate for a MONTH to get it fedexed back to the USA. I have written many emails and got no response from Mariela (the front desk manager.)
She is almost refusing to send it back which almost leads me to believe they sold it or someone kept it for themselves. Either way as of now someone at the resort has stolen my phone and won't give it back. She has all my info but won't even try to communicate!

DO NOT LOSE ANYTHING HERE. The airport personnel are a much better option and did everything they could to get our phone back.

Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Duddings
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We are scuba divers, so Cozumel is one of our favorite places.
This is our 2nd visit to Allegro and we returned because of the dive shop on site and the great service and friendlieness of the staff.
Raul Ojeda actually remembered our names and welcomed us to the restaurent every day.
Carlos was always eager to help us and made our stay very enjoyable, always with a big smile.
Allegro is a great place for diving and relaxing by the pool.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Dan C
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Relaxing hotel, good standard of food and drinks. Accommodation and hotel facilities really clean and the grounds of the hotel extremely well maintained. Had to get used to tipping (us Brits perhaps not so accustomed), service always improved but the staff were very friendly and polite without tips. Dive school (run by ProDive Mexico) was a bit disorganised and pricey compared to Palancar Divers at the neighbouring Occudental Grand Hotel and had an extremely rude, aggressive and officious dive guide (I can't imagine he was a qualified instructor) called Fritz... Avoid, avoid... Shame because the other guys; Lee, Joey etc all very nice and helpful. Try Palancar instead, much more efficient, staffed by Mexicans who know the dive sites, conditions, and importantly how to treat customers etc because they also recognise that their livelihoods depend on sustaining the reefs and keeping customers happy. Please contact for more details on diving....One final thing to mention, my friend had their wallet stollen on the ferry back from
Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen - word of caution!!

• Stayed: July 2012