“AirCanadaVacations misrate Occidental Allegro Cozumel”
Review of Allegro Cozumel

Allegro Cozumel
Ranked #23 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We decided to take our Padi OpenWater Scuba Diving Course in Cozumel and chose this hotel based on 4 star rating of AirCanadaVacations but were badly disappointed. We stayed at room 4412 and 4413 from May 12 till May 19, 2012. First there always a bad odor floating in the air around the building maybe due to the sewage system. Even the water in the room and in the beach shower smell a bit of foul odor. At one night we saw a small lizard running around on the wall and disappear under a wall lamp. By looking underneath the lamp next morning we saw crack around the lamp electrical plate where the lizard enter et exit the room. On our last morning we even saw a tiny frog hanging in our shower. We were annoyed by many iguanas lying around on the stone alleys, if you're not careful and step on them you can be bitten I guess. Now the food, it is quite limited and always the same. For a ocean site hotel like this with an abundance of fish in the ocean, I'm very disappointed to have to eat always the same kind of fish called bassa or pangsius which is imported very far away from Asia. It rained almost every day the week we stayed and a few alleys were completely flooded, again maybe due to the defective sewage system at this hotel. But the staff is very courteous and friendly. And the PADI Pro Dive Center is top notch, instructor Louis is very nice and helpful. There are only 2 buffets and 2 reservation restaurant - one is mexican and the other chinese. There are 2 nice and big water parks for children. Because of the fould odor and invasion of lizard, I cannot rated this hotel more than a 2 Star. I feel somehow that if a little more efforts in the food area (please do not cook hamburgers 4 hours in advance, please warm up your food, please provide some pizza, pls be more inventive...) will help raising the status of this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank stevelee47

Dear Steveele47
Greetings from Allegro Cozumel!
Thank you for your feedback and stay with us. Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. The rating that Air Canada Vacations gives us is based on specific criteria that we are required to meet. Please know that the hotel is surrounded by jungle and mangroves, which during rainy season produce the scent you described. It is impossible to completely get rid of this odor, but the water is regularly tested and is completely safe to drink. We assure you that our sewage system has not had any problems.
I am sorry to hear about the crack in your room. I discussed this with the maintenance manager and he has fixed the problem and looked into it in all other rooms. As for all the wildlife, I apologize if you found them to be a nuisance. We are in the middle of a protected natural area in Cozumel and the wildlife here is protected too. We try our best to keep them out of the rooms, but please know that none of them are dangerous. We ask our guests to help keep them to a minimum by not feeding them.
We do offer fresh seafood from around the world. However, we cannot provide any from our area as Cozumel’s status as a natural protected area makes commercial fishing illegal. I have shared the rest of your feedback about the food with our chef, who is always looking for ways to improve our culinary offerings.
Regarding the flooding, during rainy season, the surrounding mangroves push and trap the water in certain areas. We drain the main areas that are most frequented by guests and the rest of the areas always drain naturally.
I am so glad you found our staff to be courteous and thank you for your compliments about our partners at Pro Dive. I have shared your feedback with them all and they greatly appreciated it.
I hope we can have another opportunity to host you in the future!
Carolina Inerian
Assistant Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,629)

Reviewed 20 May 2012

We have just returned from yet another wonderful stay at the Allegro. Ivan and the entire staff are always very pleasant and helpfull. The grounds are clean and well maintianed. The beautiful sand beach is a real a real plus. Already we are looking foward to our next stay at the Allegro!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Brian H
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Don't waste your hard earned cash. Our family vacationed at Occidental Allegro the week of March 16th to the 23rd 2012. This resort is by no means a four star and to say the room (6112) was a "superior room" in a preferred location is outrageous. The room was extremely outdated and badly in need of repairs. Cracks around the door allowed, light, noise and insects into the room. The front window had a lock, but did not work. It was extremely difficult to bath as the water smelled of sulphur. The hammock on the deck was a nice touch, but we could not enjoy it due to the overwhelming stench of sewer in the complex. We lived out of our suitcases as there was not enough closet or cupboard space. As Camelon Gold Club guests, we were guaranteed three a la carte reservations - not so. The morning after we arrived I attended the front desk to make the a la carte reservations and was advised that I could only have 2 and the only dates available were the last two days of our stay. When we did get into the restaurants, both time the establishments were only half full. There was no sign of a concierge service other than a courtesy call from the front desk the first day of our vacation. We were also promised a barbeque on the beach - no sign of that either. When I asked the Nolitour agent she advised that there really wasn't a barbeque - it was just appetizers at the beach snack bar for Nolitour guests to mingle. During the week we experienced petty theft of items from our room. Not one, but two pairs of my 10 year old daughter's sandals disappeared, her colouring book, my deodorant and headbands. The safe for our valuables was archaic. I continually struggled with the key to lock and unlock the safe. Customer service at the front desk was non-existent. Our check out time was noon, but our shuttle to the airport was not leaving till 3:30 p.m. - our Nolitour rep advised that we could request a late check out at a cost of $10.00 per hour. The representative told me to request this the day before we left, which I did and was promptly told they could not do this the day before and to return the next morning. Once again, back to the front desk the day of our check to hear "NO" this could not be done. We were able to reserve a courtesy room for 1/2 an hour. What a disaster? By the time we had picked up the room key and found the room we had only 20 minutes for four of us to shower and change. Needless to say we went past the 30 minute mark and received a rude phone call from the front desk followed by the next client booked into the room pounding on the door and screaming obscenities at my children. Unbelievable! I could go on about the long line ups, lack of staff, and further misrepresentations, but I am sure my dissatisfaction is evident.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Peteyloveslola

Dear Petesloveylola
Please accept our deepest apologies for all the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. What concerns me most about your review is the issue with your daughter’s items. We did not receive any report of this during your stay. I am contacting you directly through Trip Advisor to get more details.
Please know the Superior Rooms are our standard rooms and the Cameleon Club Gold location is preferred because it is far from the kid’s area and close to the pools. We do offer larger rooms, with more closet space, such as the Suites, which include mini fridges and full ocean views. Upgrades to these rooms are available to all guests for an additional fee.
I am sorry to hear about the cracks around your door. I have notified the maintenance team who has since made the appropriate repairs. The odor you mentioned comes from the surrounding jungle and mangroves, which flood during rainy season. It is near impossible to get rid of this natural scent, but I assure you that the water is still completely safe to drink.
There is a guarantee of three dinner reservations for Cameleon Gold guests. I discussed your reservations with the front desk and they informed me that your issue was a mistake made by a trainee. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences.
The BBQ dinner is offered in the snack area and is a full buffet exclusively offered to Club Cameleon Gold guests. This information is posted in the internal activities program that guests receive during check-in, broadcasted on the hotel TV channel, and announced during the Nolitour group information session. I am sorry if there was a misunderstanding.
Late check-out is subject to availability and is an extra charge. During your last day with us, we were unable to accommodate late check-outs, due to high occupancy; the hotel was full and we were expecting another group to arrive that same day. I apologize for the phone call from our front desk; I have talked to them about how best to communicate with guests.
Once again please accept our most sincere apologies.
Carolina Interian

Reviewed 15 May 2012 via mobile

The resort already passed its best days, the paint is crumbling. The rooms are ok, nothing special and service is outdated. Internet connection for a week costs 80 USD, we were shocked! And it's slow and only available at the pool and lobby. We needed wifi to work, so we complained and got the managers password for the second week. Still, it's outrageous if you get wifi free in every hostel in the world. The food and drinks are rather low quality and the selection
Is boring and every day the same. The a la carte restaurant not worth it and the best food was burgers, very sad. The club is catering especially to American families, which you feel everywhere. We went there because of the ProDive station, which was excellent and worth the average hotel. But if your not into drinking the whole day, eating burgers and maybe need Internet, don't go there!
Diving was pretty awesome though, that's the place to be for that!

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank UrlaubimSueden
Reviewed 13 May 2012

First of all I have read a lot of reviews before picking this resort and had some things I wanted. First the kids pool was amazing really clean and my daughter whos 4 loved it, seen a kids club but never anyone in it wasn't really crowded for being an off season. Diving of course was awesome ans the Dive Shop was the best I have ever dove with fast big boats, great well taken care of gear and Dive Masters that were informative and fun Thank you Sandy, Hanns, Kyle! And the resort is located on the southern end of the island closer to the better dive sites. The food was ok it wasn't great not really a lot to choose from but good and we never went hungry. They have 2 restaurants but are really small and even with not a lot of people their still was packed the Mexican on was good but the oriental one well we re in Mexico lets stick to Mexican foods. The beach was great good for swimming and snorkling long beach nice sand not rocky. Rooms were ok need upgrading but comfortable and had cold air. All and all had a great vacation their and will most likely not return but will dive with the dive shop at the resort again. And I really say this as Allegro is like the redheaded step child in Cozumel you have the Grand which is next door also an Occidental resort and they push you over their to try and get you to buy time shares we got caught up in one of their schemes AVOID the desk just as you walk out the mani lobby towards the pools and rooms is a time share trap. Was told we could go to the grand and have a breakfast which the guys were telling us is so much better than at the Allegro and we should go and see a nicer resort. And when you get their You Are Slamed with time share,time share,time share and you have to stay 90 min. To get the cab ride back not counting breakfast and their rude as hell (hi Todd) we just finally got up and walked out. AVOID!!!!!! And because of that we will not likely be returning seems like their more concerned with promoting the Grand they could care less about Allegro and the whole time we were at the Grand all they did was bash the Allegro. I liked El Coz. Better on this island and was the first time didn't stay with them and regretted it.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank medicjojo

Dear medicjojo
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Allegro Cozumel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the Dive Shop and staff. I have shared your compliments with them and they greatly appreciated it. I am also glad to hear that your daughter enjoyed the kid pool!
It was great to read your positive feedback about the Mexican restaurant, though I’m sorry that the rest of our food did not fully meet your expectations. We have been adding more variety to our buffet menus. Every night we have Mexican, international, oriental, Caribbean, Italian and gourmet food stations. Also, new dishes have been added to our menu and we have received great reviews from guests. I have shared your comments with the chef, who appreciates the feedback.
I am glad you found the rooms comfortable, though it surprises me to hear your comment about upgrades as we usually receive great feedback from guests about the style of the rooms.
I am sorry to hear about your experience with the Vacation Club, which is located in our lobby to inform guests about opportunities to join the First Club, a member service located. I will speak to their manager about his approach with guests.
Again, I thank you for your constructive feedback and hope to see you soon again!
Carolina Interian