“Grew to Enjoy It”
Review of Allegro Cozumel

Allegro Cozumel
Ranked #22 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 28 October 2007

I read a multitude of reviews about the Allegro before purchasing a week's stay there. For the most part our vacation was as expected. Our experience from start to finish:

We booked through SpaQuest via the Internet. An actual travel agent would have been more helpful with arranging transfers, etc. We did not have vouchers for van service from the airport to the resort (most other travelers did). For those who don't have vouchers ahead of time, you can purchase them at the airport at a booth at the far right of the hallway as you exit customs. The price was $390 Pesos.

My son and I purchase a ten dive package through SpaQuest. This came to $29 a dive ($32 on site). I would not recommend getting the dive package as you may not be able to complete all ten dives for weather reasons, etc. SpaQuest also did not provide any type of voucher for the dives which was a major problem as it took me about half a day going back and forth between the dive shop and the front desk trying to convince them I actually paid for the package. The dive shop finally relented and were very cordial the rest of the week.

The food was as advertised. I'm an extremely picky eater but did not go hungry. The quality varied but overall quite edible. We felt the best part was the open food bar near the pool that ran from noon - 5 p.m. We ate at the mexican restaurant one night - not too bad.

Following check-in at the front desk you'll be grabbed by a welcome agent who will sit you down and give you the lay of the land. Following that they will hit you with an offer to visit their sister resort next door in return for some discounts on diving or a Jeep/VW Beetle rental. We offered a "no thanks" and the agent continued to hit us with the hard sell. We finally were able to pull away and go to our room. The problem here is these folks camp out at a desk in front of the main lobby and the ramp to go to the restaurant. They absolutely will not leave you alone! We learned from a time share owner there that they look at the color of your wrist band and approach you based on that. They finally gave up on us by Thursday.

The rooms were as advertised. We had a first floor room very near the snack bar/pool. I would recommend paying the additional cost for a superior premium room to be near the beach. Since we went when they were only about 30% occupied, noise was not much of a problem. I could see that it would be quite noisy if all eight rooms in one of the villas were rented. Ear plugs are a must. The showers were good (hot and cold are backwards). They provide two large bottles of water each day for brushing teeth/drinking, etc. There is a free in room safe. TV is adequate with a few English stations. If you need Internet access that's a problem. They charge $4 for 15 minutes so I did not attempt to use it. There is a business center on site that also has Internet, faxing, etc. but it's very pricey.

The beach is OK of you just plan on sunning. The water's edge has very coarse sand and a bit of a drop off that makes it difficult to exit or enter the water at times. There is a roped off area for swimming or snorkeling (not much interesting to see unless you go all the way out to the edge of the barrier). The white sand is highly reflective so even in the shade people were getting burned - bring lots of sunscreen.

We did not go off the property but there is a car rental place directly across the street from the resort. It looked like about the same price as the resort. There really isn't anything in walking distance so if you want to sight see you'll need to rent.

We went for the diving and it did not disappoint. Dive Palancar is the dive shop that is on site. The rental equipment was well-maintained. There is a retail shop there that is pretty limited on selling actual equipment if you break or lose something. Bring spare equipment with you. The resort is in very close proximity to all the popular reefs on the southwest side of the island. Most of the reefs are 5-10 minutes away by boat. Punta sur is about 25 minutes away. For those that aren't aware, the diving in Cozumel is drift diving with varying current strength based on the location. They are very helpful at suggesting sites for your dive style and expectations. The dive masters were all quite good and it's best to follow them to get the full benefit of their knowledge of creature hiding places, etc. They offer twilight/night dives on M-W-F that are a must if you've not done one. Overall the quantity and diversity of sea life was excellent, we even saw an 8 foot green Morey out in the open. For those who are not certified, they offer lessons on-site that are very reasonably priced.

Check out was not a problem. You can tell the front desk what time you would like your bags picked up and the bell hop will summon a cab for you at the front curb. He has a list of what cab fare costs so be sure and check it so you aren't overcharged by the cabbie.

As others have stated, tipping is a must and is expected from what I can tell. The maid typically gets $2 a day. I did not see anyone tipping the wait staff but they did tip the bartenders at the pool. The divemasters typically get $5 a dive as well.

If you don't go outside the resort and are worried about buying memorabilia, you can do that at the airport that has a pretty good store.

Overall, I was very hesitant about going out of the country and it took me a couple of days to get in the swing, but once that happened we had a very enjoyable vacation. I will be going back when the opportunity arises.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank WabashDoc

Reviewed 23 October 2007

I booked this resort for my wedding anniversary with my Husband and 6 of our friends. We knew going in that it was not 5 star and we were right. But by no means, is there anything going on here that makes this place awful!!
Clean, simple, great beach - the food is not disgusting, but I didnt haul myself all the way to Cozumel to eat a burger for lunch. Loved the grilled calamari!! The Pico de Gallo was excellent too.
Eat in the a la carte restaurants as much as possible if you are not brave enough to venture out for food for dinner.
The resort is BEAUTIFUL and the workers are very helpful. Avoid the Occiental tour desk near the lobby (they hit you with the selling of tours and scooters and never once were they honest about pricing.) The Vacation Club offer of a tour and breakfast--timewaster unless you have $30,000. to join.
I was very annoyed with the many small details left out that ended up costing money and pestering you about tours and dont buy from so-and-so buy from me etc etc. We were promised a scooter for $10. per day and when we went to get it they wanted to charge us $150-ish for "insurance" and then reimburse us later. Seemed shifty to me.
Guard the towel card / towel with your life, it will cost you $50. if you lose it.
I would still go and stay there again and just use my knowledge to my advantage. You cant beat the location of the beach and Palancar Reef!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank KikiCaddo
Reviewed 22 October 2007

This was a trip that we had booked 3 months ago so I've read all the good and bad reviews, now here's our take:

1. The beds are not as uncomfortable as I was expecting, we actually slept very well.

2. It is true that you can hear your neighbors and its not bc of thin walls but bc of a connecting door that has no soundproofing.

3. We requested a lower level room bc of the musty smell comments made about the second floor rooms. My sister had a second floor room, it is noticeable but it did not bother us or her.

4. The food was really good in my opinion! I do eat about anything, but the food here was better (more favor not blan) than the two previous all inclusives I've been to in Mexico (which both were actually 4 star). The Italian restaurant was very good (we did not make it to the Mexican restaurant). Again I'm not picky but it seemed that even the picky eaters in our group could find things they enjoyed.

5. The beach is awsome!

6. If your not coming to scuba dive take the Fury snorkling tour. We aslo recommend renting a jeep and exploring the island (we did check out the ruins and they are O.K., I'll leave it at that). Go to Coconuts on the east side of the island. I had the shrimp fajitas and I loved them! We also took the ferry (30 min. bout ride) to Playa Del Carmen one day to shop (the ferry is $17.00 per person round trip). The Ferry leaves to Playa Del Carmen every hour from 5 AM to 11PM. A taxi to town is going to cost $15.00-$17.00 for 2-4 people. We ate @ PEPE's, I had the fisherman's platter $25 US which was good, but my wife had the steak and lobster which was exceptional $50 US!

7. There are timeshare like people at Allegro. If your not interested tell them firmly upfront. We did do the timeshare tour bc they were going to give us a free jeep rental for a day (which would normally cost $65 per day) and a free round trip taxi to town for 4 (which would cost $34.00). The tour takes 90-120 min. Don't ask questions if you don't want it to take all day.

8. The staff was great for the most part (one of the gentlemen at the front desk seemed a bit grumpy but he was the exception).

9. The grounds were very well maintained.

10. The resort seemed more family oriented with not much going on during the evening. Fast Freddies disco was fun one night, but not so much the next morning. The resort was at ~20% capacity during our stay which made getting a drink or towel and chair easy but perhaps the night activity suffered a bit.

Overall, I'd recommend Allegro. It has great value with an excellent beach, nice people and the negatives are really not as bad as some are writing. If you don't need 5 star pampering Allegro should give you a great trip!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank TravisMinneapolis_MN
Reviewed 22 October 2007

I have just returned from a week in Cozumel with my boyfriend. This hotel is OK. If you're used to staying in 4 and 5 star accomdation then this is not for you. I would definitely not recommed this for a honeymoon. We had an alrigh time but to be honest this is not somewhere I would go back to

Low Points
The food was very poor indeed. Edible but was more quantity than quality from Breakfast right through to dinner. Wa quite a downer for the whole holiday !!!
Representative sell sell sell when to be honest you can book the trip for a cheaper price, wasnt very impressed

Good points
Resort is directly on a beautiful beach which you practically have to yourself.
Friendly staff always smiling
Ok for beginner divers

Its an avergage place with great surroundings, ok value for money

From Gemma, London Uk

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DimplesLondon_UK
Reviewed 22 October 2007

This resort has a fantastic beach and staff very friendly and helpful.

The rooms need updated. They're not bad, but musty and damp. It is very humid there this time of year though. With improvements in ventilation this could be rectified. Bed was firm but not uncomfortable.

The food is good, but not exceptional. Drinks were great.

The massages at the spa are wonderful. I felt like melted butter after.

I highly recommend renting a car and driving around the island. There is only one road so you really can't get lost. The sights are breathtaking along the ocean. You can visit the ruins, the lighthouse at Punta Sur, the tequilla factory, and there's little resturants along the way. Also, take the snorkeling tour on the Fury.

Although this is not a five star resort, it is good. A prime location. Lots and lots of shells ... crystal clear blue water. Plenty of shoreline to walk on. Take those slip on water/beach shoes. Some spots are coarse with bare feet.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends