New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Oasis Palm

Oasis Palm
Ranked #78 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Vancouver, Canada
“Cancun - locals great, tourists not”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

This was our first trip to Mexico. Left the kids and dog at home. Just the wife and me. 7-day all-inclusive at the Oasis Palm Beach. The happy staff worked hard to make us feel welcomed. I'm saddened that a lot of the tourist were very disrespectful to the locals, ranging from verbal outbursts to restaurant staff, to throwing key cards at front desk staff because the cards would not permit access to their room doors (... the latter reason being that they were trying to use their towel rental cards to gain entry... Bozos!). The beach was a bit small but a 15-minute walk along the shoreline will bring you to an isolated public beach with better sand. Face it, a hotel is a place for you to sleep; most of the time you should be venturing out and about anyways. The Oasis Palm Beach is fine if you do not have unrealistic expectations... and visiting a third world country, you shouldn't be expecting perfection. Just my humble opinion.

3 Thank Cancouver

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Roland, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

One of the big advantages to Oasis Palm Resort is that it's located at the very North end of the Hotel Strip - right next to the bridge to Cancun proper. So you can easily walk over to town. There are several restaurants with different cuisines, and all the food was great. I recommend the piña colada drinks - with or without alcohol !! And the Mexican restaurant had delicious things I never encountered before. We would go to the breakfast buffet and bring enough food with us for sack lunches on Isla Mujeres.

There is no beach at the resort, but hey - we spent ALL our daytime on Isla Mujeres, which is like something out of a 1940s vintage John Wayne movie, where you can get away from all the corporate hype to experience Mom-and-Pop shopping and sight-seeing on golf carts. Isla is a wonderful ferry ride just across from Oasis Palm. Be sure to patronize Hortensia's custom tailoring stall on the Island - I got a custom-tailored magician's outfit for my shows with embroidery and bead-work for $60, ordered one day and picked up the next. Also great massages on North Beach from Eujenia and her family - very affordable !!

Back at the Resort, I particularly loved the Marsh Grackles, which I had written about in my books but never actually seen. Alejandro the Porter was a magnificent helper and friend. We had a nice view of the pirate ship harbor from our window.

The only drawback at the Resort was some fairly steep staircases, but hey - I needed the exercise.

I was ashamed of some fellow Americans who sat around and complained about the help. We had nothing but excellent service. Understanding concierge, friendly bartenders and waiters, and of course Alejandro ...

I plan to go back this year.

ALAN

Room Tip: We were promised a room with a view. We didn't get it at first, but they quickly upgraded when w...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Emo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

We spent one week here and on day three I was perfectly willing to go home if I could. Upon check in, we really had to struggle (argue) to obtain the balcony that we booked in the first place. We had to pay extra but it resulted in a beautiful and very clean room. We also had to pay extra for the room safe. We also had to pay extra for use of the fridge that was in the room. (they kept it locked). With all the extras, I really had to wonder were the all inclusive went!
The food was fine. Not wonderful, but ok. The drinks were of the same quality. Both buffets gave us grief on seating of all things! The outside seating of one was deemed for larger groups only so as we were a couple, we apparently didn't qualify until a kind and friendly waiter waved us over. The other buffet closes their outside seating 1/2hour earlier than the inside seating. Just silly, and frustrating!
We found the staff to be reluctant to please with the exception of the cleaning staff and waiters at the restaurants and bars. The servers and cleaners were super friendly and helpful.
If you are desirous of a truly all inclusive trip where you get what you paid for, keep searching because it is not here! Look into a Dreams resort or a Barcelo resort.
I'm just done with Mexico.

4 Thank Darcy R

Travellers are raving about these Cancun hotels

illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Back form a week at the oasis palm beach .Great food and drinks with plenty of bars.All i can tell you is a litttle tipping can make your vacation much better they do work hard.

Room Tip: Up grade to the new grand palm
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

This was my husband & my fourth trip to Mexico and our first to Cancun. We travelled with 5 other couples. We were booked at the Oasis Palm in Cancun and poor customer service from the get-go! We checked in our room which we were told would have a balcony and didn't. The room was musty smelling and worn bedroom furniture. The windows were sealed, so we couldn't get any fresh air. The air-conditioning only worked on high or off. There was water on the floor from a leak over the toilet in our bathroom. We decided right then and there that we were going down to request a different room and were greeted with very unfriendly and defensive staff at the front desk. We were told that we wouldn't get another room until they looked into the problem and acted as if they didn't even know of the leak. A lady overheard me speaking to friends about our room and she asked if we happened to have just checked into room #.... and we said yes. She told us that her and her husband had just checked out and that they had reported this problem and it was never fixed. Her husband was a plumber and just put a pail under the leak because they loved the view. This wouldn't have and didn't keep me there. We ended up getting an up-grade to the hotel next door, which was the Grand Oasis at a cost of $550.00. Three couples of group joined us in the move over. They never offered us any real discount. When I mentioned that we should have had a king size bed and a balcony (at the Oasis Palm), they told us that it would cost more and that is when we decided to move to the other hotel. I had called our travel agent a few days before we left and she had called the Sunwing Representative and confirmed that we had a balcony, but this was not the case. The Grand Oasis was definitely a more attractive hotel, but still lacking in many ways. There were no clock radios in the room. You only received room service (late night snack or dinner) if you had a certain type/color of bracelet. We had two days where our room wasn't cleaned or fresh towels received. They called at 5:30 one night and asked if we still wanted room service and I said not at this point of the day. Same thing happened the next day. Bathrooms were never replenished with toiletries unless asked. I left a tip on my pillow every morning, which didn't seem to encourage any better service. I gave up towards the end. The rooms and bathroom at the Grand Oasis were inviting and the bathroom very large and clean (when it was cleaned). The service was so inconsistent even in the restaurants. My husband asked to have french fries at one of the outdoor lunch bars with his roast chicken instead of a baked potato and was told he couldn't - that was only for hamburger orders. If you had your own laptop, it was a hit and miss if you could connect. The internet service the hotel offered was 100 pesos for half an hour. There was no nightly entertainment (such as theme shows) other than Sunday, Tuesday & Thursday night. Every other hotel we have stayed in had themed shows every night except for Sundays. If it wasn't for the Piano Bar, we would have been bored out of our minds in the evenings. There was a wonderful three-piece band that played there nightly (Confetti) and they were so accommodating to our requests for music. We enjoyed them and they enjoyed our enthusiasm to their music. After they were done in the evening (8:30-11:00 - Mon-Sat); a Mariachi style group came on (more like Il Divo) that were awesome as well. The name of this group was Voice of the Earth and we took home one of their CDs. These two groups really helped to make our stay more enjoyable. Cynthia was our waitress at the Piano Bar and she was always so wonderful and caring. Making sure that we had drinks and always a smile. There was no newsletter or posting of events (or lack of) posted anywhere in the hotel. We also missed having a channel that would show the weather forecast for the area. Most channels were in Spanish, with a few in English. It would have been helpful to have English subtitles on the Spanish channels, as they had Spanish subtitles on the English channels. The other downfall was that some of our friends that we travelled with stayed in the older hotel (for various reasons) and weren't allowed to come to some of the restaurants/bars or even some a la carte restaurants in the hotels. If they came to visit us at our hotel pool, the staff watched them very closely until they left. Very unfriendly staff for the most part. The food at both restaurants was very good, again something that helped to ease the pain of all the other things that were wrong with this hotel (both Oasis Palm & Grand Oasis). There was a domestic dispute on our floor one night that went on for hours, and not much was done other than to speak to the couple. It wasn't a little squabble. All adjoining rooms in and around that room came out to find out what was going on. It could have turned out to be much worse than it did. We could have possibly read of another tragedy at a Mexico hotel. The hotel was a very noisy hotel. Hallways carried voices. The doors could have been sealed better, which may have helped with this problem. We overlooked the pool/disco and when the disco ended at 1:00 a.m. the younger crowd would gather at the pool until all hours yelling and being young kids and nothing was ever done to clear them out.Our overall experience at this hotel was less than pleasurable and I would not recommend that anyone would consider staying at this resort for any reason. We have stayed a less expensive/less star resorts in the Mayan Riviera and had much, much better experiences. If you are smart, you will stay away! Norma - Winnipeg

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles