The nightmare began upon arrival - BUT, keep reading this is a tale of a wonderful vacation. Pulling up in my shuttle I found the hotel under construction. This was not mentioned anywhere. Entering into the lobby was a complete let down. Checking in to my room in the temporary booths that were constructed, less than pleasant. And the noise - oh my! The check in process while not ideal was handled well by Alonzo and I was quickly assigned my room.
As I was led to my room the ambiance of the hotel did not improved. The bellman was nice and chatty and told me I had been given one of the newly renovated rooms. Whew - one mark to the plus side. The room was very nice - 2211. It was tastefully decorated, very large, and clean. It overlooked the adult pool (and had easy access to the pool - I could avoid the lobby) and had a pretty good view of the ocean.
The hotel had 5 restaurants - a buffet (the Albatros), an upscale Mexican restaurant (Maria's), a fabulous Italian restaurant (Il Pescadore), and a steak place which was closed. I can only assume this was due to the renovation. A great bar, hotdog vendor, taco place called the Set, and a snack bar rounded out the ample food supply. The food varied from good - the buffet - to superb - the Italian restaurant.
Let's talk staff. Amazing, friendly, super helpful, crazy customer service oriented. Food first - every food service staff employee is to be complimented. They made even a buffet experience with pretty good food pleasant. So, when I single out a single person, please understand that this person was the creme-de-la creme of a great group of individuals. Please go to Il Pescadore and make sure that Alberto is your server. You will not be sorry you did. He suggested special meals and worked with the chef to provide 'variations' to the menu suggestions that provided a much expanded dining alternatives.
Entertainment staff - WOW. Roger (Rogelio), Sara, Chris, Ithel, Fabio what a team. If you don't enjoy their activities, their amazing personalities, their energy, and creative banter, you might want to check your pulse. They truly transformed the nightmare into the dream. It wasn't long before the dreary lobby, the noise from construction, the dust and dirt (which the housekeeping staff kept well under control) faded away.
I would also recommend that you take advantage of the spa services. Looking for a good massage therapist. - Maria is your gal!
As I reflect back, if I would have known the resort was being renovated I probably would have looked for another place. But, that would have been a mistake. The inconvenience was minor to the great time offered by this resort. As a side note, they say the renovation should be completed in December. Ah, maybe not. Perhaps end of January of 2018. Take a risk - enjoy the hospitality of these fine people.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On a beautiful stretch of pristine white sands in the heart of Cancun's famous Hotel Zone stands the spectacular Gran Caribe Resort, welcoming couples, families, friends, and colleagues to relish all-inclusive luxuries, enjoy genuine hospitality, and explore the region's cultural heritage and vibrant entertainment district. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Stayforlong S.L., Expedia, TravelUp, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Panama Jack Resorts - Gran Caribe Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Caribe Real Cancun
- Caribe Real Resort Spa
- Gran Caribe Cancun
- Gran Caribe Real Resort & Spa
- Cancun Gran Caribe Real Resort
- Gran Caribe Real Hotel