“Nightmare to Dream”

Panama Jack Resorts - Gran Caribe Cancun
Ranked #33 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 19 October 2017

The nightmare began upon arrival - BUT, keep reading this is a tale of a wonderful vacation. Pulling up in my shuttle I found the hotel under construction. This was not mentioned anywhere. Entering into the lobby was a complete let down. Checking in to my room in the temporary booths that were constructed, less than pleasant. And the noise - oh my! The check in process while not ideal was handled well by Alonzo and I was quickly assigned my room.

As I was led to my room the ambiance of the hotel did not improved. The bellman was nice and chatty and told me I had been given one of the newly renovated rooms. Whew - one mark to the plus side. The room was very nice - 2211. It was tastefully decorated, very large, and clean. It overlooked the adult pool (and had easy access to the pool - I could avoid the lobby) and had a pretty good view of the ocean.

The hotel had 5 restaurants - a buffet (the Albatros), an upscale Mexican restaurant (Maria's), a fabulous Italian restaurant (Il Pescadore), and a steak place which was closed. I can only assume this was due to the renovation. A great bar, hotdog vendor, taco place called the Set, and a snack bar rounded out the ample food supply. The food varied from good - the buffet - to superb - the Italian restaurant.

Let's talk staff. Amazing, friendly, super helpful, crazy customer service oriented. Food first - every food service staff employee is to be complimented. They made even a buffet experience with pretty good food pleasant. So, when I single out a single person, please understand that this person was the creme-de-la creme of a great group of individuals. Please go to Il Pescadore and make sure that Alberto is your server. You will not be sorry you did. He suggested special meals and worked with the chef to provide 'variations' to the menu suggestions that provided a much expanded dining alternatives.

Entertainment staff - WOW. Roger (Rogelio), Sara, Chris, Ithel, Fabio what a team. If you don't enjoy their activities, their amazing personalities, their energy, and creative banter, you might want to check your pulse. They truly transformed the nightmare into the dream. It wasn't long before the dreary lobby, the noise from construction, the dust and dirt (which the housekeeping staff kept well under control) faded away.

I would also recommend that you take advantage of the spa services. Looking for a good massage therapist. - Maria is your gal!

As I reflect back, if I would have known the resort was being renovated I probably would have looked for another place. But, that would have been a mistake. The inconvenience was minor to the great time offered by this resort. As a side note, they say the renovation should be completed in December. Ah, maybe not. Perhaps end of January of 2018. Take a risk - enjoy the hospitality of these fine people.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank edleader2017
Matias K, General Manager at Panama Jack Resorts - Gran Caribe Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2017

Dear edleader2017,

Thank you for choosing Gran Caribe Cancun for your recent vacation, and for sharing your experience with other travelers.

I can only thank you for this excellent review, that truly captures the essence of what we are committed to do here in Gran Caribe Cancun. Although our remodelation is inevitable in order to continue to provide our guests with the experiences they deserve, we understand that it might create inconveniences to some travelers, and for that reason we are going above and beyond to ensure that those inconveniences are minimised by offering all the excellent experiences that Gran Caribe Cancun has to offer, like amazing service provided by our staff. Your comments are going to be shared with all of the staff as a proof that their efforts are well recognized by our valuable guests.

We hope to have you back soon.

Matias K.,

Write a ReviewReviews (8,643)

Reviewed 19 October 2017

Comments for each remarkable area:
Restaurants - food of high quality (especially in a la carte ones)
Activities: the animation team(particularly Sara, Roger, Ithiel) is outstanding: fun and entertaining. They always han an activity to keep me entretained.
Gym: Not bad, although it needs more weight plates.
Yoga: Not so good, its not a good first approach for novices.

Staff: Very gentle and serviceable. The only one that didn't fit into that impression was Ivan, it had some sort of bad vive apart from being quite pedantic.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Pablo M

Dear Pablo M,

We are very grateful that you decided to to stay at Gran Caribe Cancun, and are thankful for your comments.

It is with great pleasure to read that we exceeded your expectations in general, particularly when it comes to food quality, service and entertainment.
I am surprised to read your comments regarding Ivan, as his yoga clases and service are constantly getting positive comments from our guests; nevertheless, our Entertainment Director has beed advised about your comment.

We hope that you decided to visit us again during your future travels.

Reviewed 18 October 2017

Have stayed before on 3 different occasions. Made my reservation months ago. Arrived at hotel, room moved 3 different times before getting room type reserved. Have reported to Concierge 3 times that I have no hot water in room. I am on day 6 and still no hot water. Beverages and snacks are NOT replenished as per reservation. The left hand does not know what the right hand is doing in this hotel. Additionally, the hotel is under "major" renovation. NO mention of this when making my reservation 6 months ago. Guests in the hotel are irate as none of them have been told that renovation is taking place. In short thhey could care less about guest satisfaction. Look elsewhere.......

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank lalen7789
Matias K, General Manager at Panama Jack Resorts - Gran Caribe Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2017

Dear,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a overview of your recent stay. Please know, all of your observations have been shared and addressed with my executive staff in order to look for areas of improvement

Our commitment as a team is to exceed our guest’s expectations and truly provide an unforgettable holiday. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you again in the future to showcase the improvements done.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

I never really enjoyed this resort. The pool was way too small for the amount of guests at this resort. The food was alright. Rooms are outdated and in need of renovations. I was mad because the ocean at the end of March was rough. No space to relax at the pool. What pool.

I stayed last year at the Grand park royal and immensely loved this resort. It was relaxing. The royal tower rooms were awesome. Food was good. No comparison between the two resorts. On top of everything, the Grand Caribe isn't cheap. Sad resort. Will never return.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank longboat9
Matias K, General Manager at Panama Jack Resorts - Gran Caribe Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2017

Dear longboat9,

Thank you for choosing Gran Caribe Cancun as your vacation spot.

I am extremely disappointed to learn that we failed to exceed your expectations, as that is always our primary goal.

As i can read from your review, you were not satisfied with the pool and your accommodation. I am happy to inform you that Gran Caribe Cancun is currently undergoing a full renovation, including all of our rooms, and will be converting to a new brand soon.

We hope that you decided to give us another visit to present you the improvements made since your last visit in March.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

The food was awful, the rooms smell. The resort is under construction. We stayed here 1 night because we got bumped from our flight so we didn't get a choice on where we would stay. Otherwise we would have not chosen this resort. The only thing it has going for it is the location and the beach.

Stayed: September 2017

Dear aporfirio,

I am very sorry that your didn't get to fully enjoy your 1-night stay. I apologize if food and accommodation were not up to your standard. Also, accept my apologies if our remodelation caused you any inconveniences.

We at Gran Caribe Cancun are working hard to exceed all of our guests expectations, and I am disappointed to see that we failed in your case. We would have loved to demonstrate how our service and dedication can enhance your stay.