All reviewsall inclusive feerci memberszip lineoverlooking the oceanspring breaksales peoplewhole weekspecialty restaurantsking bedsteakconciergepoolsresortvacationshowsmimosasmargaritas
Reviewed 15 February 2016

I purchased my timeshare here 25 years ago. The hotel has been significantly improving since the owner took full control two years ago. The 6 restaurants are great. Book in advance prior to arriving otherwise you may not get in. The entertainment at the pool and at night is of good quality. Some rooms are upgraded, while others need to be upgraded. I am sure all rooms will get upgraded over the next year.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms closest to the ocean and facing the pool.
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 November 2015

My family and I (3 boys aged 12,10 & 7 and a girl aged 8) stayed in the crown paradise 3 years ago in a family room in the main building which was absolutely bliss.

We had a fantastic time and so took the timeshare tour. They showed us a two bedroom suite in the main building which was absolutely top notch. Two bedrooms, separate living room with pull out bed, kitchen and wrap around balcony looking out on the ocean. We were also informed that we could book our restaurants for our entire stay when we arrived instead of having to call the reservation line everyday. In addition, a promise that if we found the all inclusive rate elsewhere cheaper than contracted timeshare all inclusive price we would get that rate plus a 20% discount.

How foolish of us to be sucked in!

The following year before making the reservation through golden shores I found a cheaper rate through a website. When I called to make the booking and quoted the rate they checked and said that it didn't apply as this was the rate for 2 children only. Had we booked through the website we would have saved $550 for a week and of course we didn't have to buy the timeshare for that rate.

We requested the 2 bedroom suite we had been shown in the main building when making the reservation with the golden shores office in California. We arrived at the hotel to find that they had given us 2 adjoining hotel rooms in the old building (beside the buffet restaurant), not a suite. After visiting the rooms which were extremely run down, smelled of damp & and which had practically no balcony we returned to the front desk. The check in staff and the manager who were extremely pleasant, informed us that the rooms in the main building (which we had been shown in the tour) could not be reserved.

They told us to go to the timeshare office and speak with a representative of golden shores and maybe they would be able to change us. In addition, they told us indeed we could not book restaurants for the week we had to repeatedly call the reservations number daily like hotel guests until we finally managed to get through.

We proceeded to the golden shores timeshare office and spoke with a representative who told us the manager would be with us shortly. After waiting 30 minutes someone finally showed up. He told us the same thing that the suites were not guaranteed. We threatened to let guests who were attending the timeshare presentation know what in reality they were purchasing. He checked the reservations and told us to come back the next day that a suite would be available.
We had booked an excursion for the next morning so he told us to check out of our current room, check our bags in with the front desk when leaving & pick up keys upon our return for our suite.

Alas we returned to be told by the front desk that there was no suite & they didn't know what he was talking about having availability! Again we proceed to golden shores office to speak with manager & are informed that he has left for the day.

The next morning I return to golden shores office, they tell me I will have to wait to speak with him. After an hour he still does not come out, I inform them that I will start speaking to the family's in the office currently taking the tour & let them know that actually none of what they are told is true. Ten minutes later he still does not appear so I join an american family at their table and tell them about our experience. The mother tells me that she booked her holiday through Costco and did not intend to purchase as they could get it cheaper through them. She had only attended to receive free passes to catamaran tour. At this point 10 security guards arrive and out comes the manager who I have been waiting to speak with for 95 minutes. He informs me that he is going to call the police if I do not leave.

That's pretty much what you put up with as a timeshare holder yet as a hotel guest I had the most wonderful experience with a superior room.

After speaking with a number of fellow Americans at the resort we learned that all of them had been promised the same suites we were shown and then upon arrival had been dumped in these sub standards hotel rooms.

My family and I will not be returning to Golden Shores even though we have paid upfront. Our last experience was horrific and totally ruined our vacation!!!

Room Tip: Don't purchase a timeshare stick with the hotel!!!
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family
14  Thank mccambe
Reviewed 1 July 2015 via mobile

Had to wait for a room 2 hours. Room condition was poor and requires major renovations. Had to call a maintenance person 3 times for 3 different issues with the room. Food menu lacks variety and quality. Please be careful from buying into the Golden shores membership program, it's a complete fraud as they falsely inform you of untrue benefits and values.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Bmickheal
Reviewed 2 June 2015

Very nice! Clean beach! Great food and drink. All the staff were very helpful. Only problem... we booked through RCI and thought we were getting a 2 BR condo , with a living area.. Had a kitchen, which we didn't need because the cod was so good, but no sofa / chairs to sit on in common area, there was a bed there instead, so really it was just like 3 hotel rooms. Very family friendly, lots of young children!

Stayed: May 2015
2  Thank Sandra C
Reviewed 24 April 2015

Club Goldenshores is the former timeshare and current vacation club offering at the Crown Paradise Hotel and Resort. If we join RCI we can go anywhere RCI has availability, but we have for the most part chosen to return to Cancun yearly and sometimes more often.

Club Goldenshores management woke up to the fact that they have long time members that had been quite disappointed with how their contract panned out. That being said, in the past three visits within a 1.5 year period, wesee the improvements. We, the timeshare, vacation club owners/members, are now considered VIPs. We see amenities being added to our visit each time. The new program permits you to come any time of the year, but what changes is the all inclusive cost, which changes based on time of year. The pricing for the all inclusive is fair for what you get with the exception of holidays and high demand times. The price sometimes doubles during these periods. In addition. The all inclusive pricing keeps going up even though the U.S. Dollar has strengthened. So, yes, there is no yearly maintenance, but the expenses of the all inclusive differ disproportionately via minimum 10% increase yearly, yet we hand been told it would not increase more than the US cost of living which is far less. It makes us wonder what the all inclusive will cost in 5 years!

That being said, amenities and perks have improved. The greatest issue we see is consistency. For this particular trip, we used double our nights per night for Club Rooms--adult only rooms with a jacuzzi by the window. We brought four other people with us so that in essence we are using 6 nights per night. The rooms are nice yet inconsistencies and maintenance issues were the problem. The jacuzzis are old and in one room failed to operate. When they did operate in neighboring rooms, they left behind a grimy substance and twice our jacuzzi filled up with water from other rooms. A way to improve this is to remove the old clunkers and replace them with nice soaking tubs, which are easier to maintain and more up to date.

They supply great amenities for members like slippers and robes, sparking wine and fruit at arrival. The inconsistency is that housekeeping policy is to take your robe from your room the day before you check out! Really???? How about stocking up on more robes and also have a sign that gives you the option to purchase a robe like high end hotels do?

I will review the actual hotel and its services in a separate review. For now, I tell you that the staff is friendly, hard working, helpful, courteous and the cleanliness of the hotel shows. Yes, as any beach side property in Cancun, the States or anywhere see, is how the elements can weather the property. At this hotel, they are always cleaning, modernizing and finally they found a solution to the sea gull issue by the main pool!

Room Tip: Wifi free for members. Both towers nice, depending on vacation type. Rooms next to abandoned property not so great. All rooms face the ocean.
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends