“Surreal, odd and yet, interesting ”

Hotel Xbalamque Resort & Spa
Ranked #159 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

The price I paid for the quality was far too much. The front desk attendants were always kind and helpful -- upon check in and check out. The room was clean enough (minus old fixtures), as were the bedding and bathroom. I had to chase a roach out from the shower area. The window would not close. It was too late in the night for me to bother with someone coming in to fix it. I was checking out the next morning. The shower window had no screen and the window wouldn't latch closed. My room was on the 3rd floor, so I wasn't worried about intruders -- other than insects. On the upside, the air conditioning worked very well, especially for being such an old appliance. The room had good lighting, both from lamps as well as natural daylight. Now for the surreal... the hotel is definitely not a resort by any stretch of the imagination in my opinion. The hotel is decorated with a huge emphasis on ancient Maya civilization. It was informative, though, if you do not speak Spanish, you will lose out on the educational aspect. There is a karaoke bar, a kind of hipster/boho'esque coffee shop, and even a theatre. From the billing poster, I could only deduce that the play: a human was in costume to represent a bull, who was also the matador. And, another human was in costume representative of a bull's traditional roll -- how a bull is normally exploited and cruelly killed in bull fighting. Since I root for the animal in all cases, I would have quite liked to have seen this play. Another time. There are other various shops that seemed unrelated to a hotel stay that were also connected to the hotel. Would I ever stay here again? Not a chance. It was interesting, though. And, I did get a good night's sleep.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 1 May 2017 via mobile

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for a few days come the end of our trip.

The room felt dirty upon arrival, with stray hairs left upon the stained floor amongst broken tiles. The bathroom was no better. A rusty old shower head with minimum water pressure, it was the equivalent to an outdoor shower. Broken hot tap and broken light above the sink.

Every night all that could be heard was the bar downstairs playing music. Wifi wasn't available in the bedroom, only in the reception which was inconvenient. Broken lift meaning we had to carry our bags and suitcases up 3 floors.

However trying to make the most of our last few days we booked a trip to Xplor. We were told travel would be covered, we would be collected the next morning from reception and dropped back at the hotel at the end of the day. However, after being picked up in the morning and double checking with the guide we were informed that we'd have to make our own way back, 10 miles from the hotel.

I would not recommend staying here!

Stayed: April 2017
Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

I suppose for the price, considering it's Cancun, the place isn't horrible but I honestly wouldn't return. The front desk experience was fine and the lady that gives you city info there was very nice, but the elevator is a little aggressive and scary, the room was very humid and had a strong smell of cigarrette smoke, the bathroom didn't really convince me it was completely clean, the air conditioner couldn't be regulated so I had to connect and disconnect it many times during the night because the room was either freezing or really hot... so I barely slept... the price is very cheap but sometimes in Mexico for that price you get something small but clean and cozy... (I'm mexican)...
The truly great thing about this hotel, other than the very helpful lady in the entrance with the city info, was the location... very easy to take a bus or a cab anywhere for a very low price...

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2017

Sure the place has ambiance but the room in 321. Dirty, floors stained missing tile, cracked mirror Pillows hard and linens from all sorts of styles. thin and old. Maid folded my sheet over the next day. Buffet was cold and dining room had dirt on floors , black on walls and every table had crumbs on it and not wiped down for next customer. Shown another room but had hair in shower Stains every where on floors and walls in hallway, trail of black liquid dripping all through hallway and lobby and police station office downstairs so felt safe .Noisy till all night hours I could go on. Nice common areas but that is it. You pay for what you get, a cheap bed to pass out on. Lots of people in lobby for wifi as none in rooms. My pics show the place in its true glory

Room Tip: check the room if you really have to stay, noisy bar downstairs
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank 900Mary900
Reviewed 18 March 2017

This hotel is not bang up to date in terms of decor. However, the staff are very helpful and pleasant, the rooms are clean and adequate and it is VERY convenient for the bus station if you intend to leave Cancun the morning after you arrive on the plane.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple