New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Mequon, Wisconsin
“Nice place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Our family of four stayed five nights at this resort, and we enjoyed it very much. We had two rooms. We booked on-line directly with the hotel for a one-bedroom suite and resort view.

The one-bedroom suite, 3094, was very nice, but small. The floor plan was weird, but fun. The balcony was huge with a table and chairs and 2 lounge chairs. Wonderful view of the ocean. I would definitely book this room again.

The other room was a very basic room with two beds. Perfect for two teenage boys. They did have a small balcony with two chairs. You could see the ocean, so perhaps their room was upgraded.

The lobby area was very nice. The breakfast buffet was wonderful. A la carte from the breakfast menu was a good value as well, but it could be slow. The gift shop sold coffee for about $3 a cup. We thought this was reasonable.

The pool was clean and not too crowded or loud. The beach area was really nice with lots of chairs. It was odd that one side of the beach filled up before the other. We never had a problem getting chairs mid-morning. Service at the beach was also prompt.

The only disappointment with this hotel was the food at the beach. Yuck is the best I can say. The margaritas were fine, but nothing we ordered was edible. It's mostly fast food-wings, hot dogs, but there was a club sandwich (yuck) and some fish. We enjoy good food, so we were very worried about the rest of the trip. No problem though as we went to the JW Marriott next door to the Sedona Grill and ate there for lunch the rest of the trip.

Since we visited the JW for lunch, I will comment that I saw more families with babies/young children there than at the CasaMagna.

We used Yellow Transfers to get from the airport to the hotel. We found them at the airport and paid $60 US to get to the hotel. If you booked the round-trip, you paid $30 US for the return trip. We thought it was a good deal. You did have to confirm the day before, but they arrived on time at the hotel, and the trip to the airport was uneventful. If my math is correct, it was cheaper this way than booking the transfer with the hotel.

3 Thank Ttttraveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (840)
  • Hebrew first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

This past February we went to the Marriott CasaMagna in Cancun. Of the choice of three different Marriott locations in the area the price of this one was in the middle. If you are a fan of Cancun then you already know that the weather is always summy and the water is very clear and warm, the beach is long and has soft sand. On some days there are good size waves which are fun to play in although there is a strong undertow. We stayed in Cancun 17 years ago and I have been wanting to go back for many years. My wife, daughter and I always go away during the Winter and we have always gone to a different location or at least a different hotel. After staying at this hotel we have decided to go to the same location next year. It really worked well for everyone in our family with their seperate needs/desires.
My wife loves the fact that she did not have to wake up at 6AM just to reserve one of the palapas on the beach, there were plenty of them all during the day. She also likes the pool because it is long enough for her to get a workout in by swimming laps. She tried to jog on the beach but it was too difficult because of all the shifting sand and how the beach has eroded in certain areas.
I like the hotel because of the great buffet breakfast, the beach (especially the palapas for the shade), the fact that everything is clean and how easy it is to catch the public bus. Usually we rent a vehicle on vacation, mostly so I can explore the area, but in Cancun you can jump on the bus for about 80 pesos one way and go as far as you want.
My 15 year old daughter met a group of people (adults and kids) and must have played ten games of volleyball each day. The volleyball court is right at the bottom of the steps and very close to the beach bar/restaurant. She and I took advantage of the indoor workout facility so we would not feel so guilty before we headed to the big buffet breakfast.
All three of us enjoyed what is advertised as the largest hot tub in Cancun. It is definately the largest one I have ever seen.
We found that "Cancun Shuttle' was cheaper than most other transportation from and to the airport. When registering online you can pay a bit more for a private ride to and from your hotel. We liked this because you don't waste time dropping off other people at their hotels.
Enjoy.

John from Massachusetts

Room Tip: Rooms nearer the water are not near the elevators which are closer to the front of the hotel. The d...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Enjoyed the service, view, and pools. Top notch service, good value, excellent buffet breakfast included. Room service food not terribly overpriced. Good currency rate right now. Excellent italian restaurant across the street.

Room Tip: The sun rises early so if you are directly facing the ocean, keep that in mind.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Coralville, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

We just returned from a 9 day stay at this wonderful hotel. This is our second stay at the Casa Magna and it was so enjoyable. The staff were helpful and friendly. The pool was fun without being too lively. We tried the All-Inclusive package this year and it was completely worth it. The package included the kids club so parents can have some relaxing time. The food and drinks were incredible. Because this is a non an all-inclusive resort, only about 10 percent of guests are on the plan. Drinks and food were of the quality you would expect from a nice Marriott hotel. My kids loved swimming up to the bar to order their virgin Pina Coladas and Mango Tangos! If you don't go all-inclusive, try to get a package that includes their incredible breakfast. We can't wait to return next year!

Room Tip: The Casa Magna suites are spacious with a fabulous view!
1 Thank iowabeachmom
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

We visited this hotel during the week of March 12-19, with two adults and one 17 year old. Overall the hotel provides a quiet atmosphere for relaxation and has a lot of family visitors. We had two rooms (king size) on the 4th floor facing the pool and beach. All rooms have terraces, which we enjoyed in the late afternoon and early evening with a glass a wine (buy wine at Europea-across the street from Kukulcan Plaza Mall). The rooms are terribly small! I have stayed at many Marriotts this is smallest room I have ever encountered. It is really meant for one person, not two adults. It reminded me of small New York City hotel room. We have stayed at 5 other resorts south of Cancun on the Riveria and have experienced much, much larger rooms, so were a little taken aback by the size.

The adults had two bags each and there was not enough room in the closet for all of the bags, nor enough hanging room to have easy access for both people (half the closet is shelf space). I allowed my husband to have the closet, I choose to work out of my luggage. One of my pieces was placed on the folding luggage rack and the other was left out on the coffee table. Needless to say there was not a lot of space in the room. The room does come with a small couch, coffee table, table with two chairs, king size bed and dresser. This seems like a lot of stuff, but it is pretty much packed in the room. The terrace has 2 chairs and a small table with much space left over.

The pool has a lot of chairs but they are packed together, a little too close for my comfort, so we stayed at the beach everyday under the the shade. My husband would go out around 7:30 am to reserve chairs, which were necessary if you wanted to be on the right side of the beach, which is near the bathroom and closer to the pool and beach side restaurants. We were on that side for first 3 days and then moved to the other side which was never as crowded and we were able to receive wireless access, which we could not from the right side.

Speaking of wireless access, my husband is a Gold member and received free access so we did not have pay the 14.95 fee, which I think is INSANE! The wireless worked for us in all parts of the hotel and on the left size of the beach, but was little inconsistent at times in this beach area.

The hotel is very clean and well kept, but needs updating (built in 1994). All of the staff is nice and friendly. We ate a lunch at Champions the first day and the food was fine, typical bar type food and the portions were adequate. We also ate dinner at Sasi (Thai restaurant) twice, which really good and not that expensive ($20-$30 for entrees). One night we ordered pizza (vegi) from Champions which was good (not great, thicker crust than I like). The breakfast buffet was included in our rate. If it was not included, I don't think I would have ordered everyday as I know I did not eat $22 worth of food everyday, we would have went the a la cart route. Saying that, the buffet did offer a wide range of selections, but nothing outstanding. Think every one can find something to eat. I have experienced better buffets in other resorts, but this one is more than acceptable.

We got a very good rate at this hotel ($139 per night with breakfast) and felt the overall experience was fine. If I came back I would probably stay at the JW Marriott which is next door, is more luxurious and have less children visiting (although the kids here were fine).

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends