“Highlight of our vacation”
Review of Helaman Tours

Helaman Tours
Ranked #69 of 336 Tours in Cancun
More attraction details
Owner description: Let me show you the archaeologycal sites and best places for snorkeling. allow me to guide you with my experience of over 30 years in Mayan history and do a private tours in Spanish, English, French, Germain and Italian. it will be my pleasure to share with you my knowledge about the connections of the great cultures of the world.
Reviewed 28 September 2011

My wife and I recently toured Ek Balam and Chichen Itza with Helaman, and it was the highlight of our vacation (which is saying a lot because we also spent 5 days on the beach at the Ritz-Carlton in Cancun). Helaman Tours are personal, custom tours and Helaman did a wonderful job getting to know us and identifying what was of most interest to us to make our tour more meaningful. I would recommend Helaman Tours to anyone. It was worth every penny!

Reviewed 20 September 2011

We had a four day tour with Lemuel (three days) and Helaman (one day.) They gave us the best experience because of their knowledge of the sites, the history and the perspective. They were proimpt. Never kept us waiting. They were attentive to our needs at all times. They customized the tour to our situation and deires. We loved the LDS perspective and spiritual insights. We highly recommend them to anyone going to the Yucatan pennisula. You won't be dissapointed.!

Reviewed 19 September 2011

For 5 wonderful days, Sept. 13-17, 2011, we with 3 other senior couples were privileged to have Lemuel (4 of the days) and Helaman Petlacalco (1 day) conduct our tour through the principal archeological sites in the Yucatan: Uxmal, Kabah, Chichén Itzá, Ek Balam, Coba and Tulum. The sites themselves are spectacular, but with our guides’ researched insights, Mayan language background, and attention to our needs, we were able to enjoy these sites at a much higher level of appreciation and understanding than would have been possible otherwise. New knowledge is coming out all the time regarding these sites, and these Petlacalco brothers are keeping abreast of these discoveries. Much layering (buildings built on top of or from previous buildings) is found at many of these sites, which requires explanations regarding the antecedent builders, the evolution of their architecture, the purpose and usage of their buildings, and the obvious evolution in their concept of deity or deities. These guides show these relationships and are quick to distinguish fact from educated guesses or sheer speculation. However, the extensive and obvious parallels with Hebrew religious rites and practices give credence to claims in the Book of Mormon.

Our specialized tour was put together over the phone and through email. They did everything they said they would do, on time, and with dispatch. They even helped us shop. One of our group has some health issues, but our guides were really on top of everything, anticipating needs and ensuring our comfort. The Yucatan is hot and humid, so an ample supply of cold water and a comfortable air conditioned van were very appreciated.

These guides were not merely sources of information doing their job as contracted; they actually feel a passion for what they do and want others to understand and see and appreciate as they do what these ruins can tell us about the ancient inhabitants of America.

There is no way we can adequately express our gratitude and praise for what these guides did for us. More than just our guides, they became our brethren.

WE RECOMMEND THEM HIGHLY!!!!

1  Thank Del S
Reviewed 9 August 2011

This was our fifth trip to Cancun and my sister had recommended we take a Book of Mormon tour with Helaman Tours. We contacted Nefi Petlacalco through facebook and he immediately answered. He offered me different tours that would be attractive for my 8 and 10 year old. He arrived to our hotel located an hour away from Cancun at 7:30 A.M. Nefi took us to Ek Balam and Coba, impressive ruins that are a must to any LDS member that travels to CanCun. We then had lunch in a Yucatecan restaurant, went swimming to Tam Kach Ha a beautiful underground cenote, visited Mayan village and finally to Punta Lagarto where we saw monkeys on the trees. This has been the best tour where we learned and understood important aspects of the Book of Mormon. Nefi is very patient, explained and listened to each of our questions. His van has AC and lots of Oreos, Chips Ahoy, Pringles and water!! We will definitely book another toour with Helaman Tours!!!

1  Thank Zazyl
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We recently took a Western Caribbean cruise and wanted to visit the Tulum ruins from the Cozumel port. We could have booked the excursion through the ship, but we wanted an LDS guide, and we're *so* glad we did. We received personalized service that we couldn't have on a large tour. Just me, my husband, our two teenage boys and Nefi. He was knowledgeable and really took care of us. Tulum was the most beautiful Mayan archeological site that we visited. The beach and water were stunning, and the sea breeze helped with the stifling June heat (over 90 degrees and 85% humidity).

Heleman gave us very clear directions about the ferry system from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen and was available the night before when we realized the ship would doc an hour later than we had anticipated. He was able to accommodate us and was at the doc to meet us. The BYU hat was a give-away, but I knew it was him the moment our eyes met. We recognized the light in his eyes immediately, and we knew we were in good hands.

It was an interesting trip, but Playa del Carmen is the one place we would return to, and when we do we will be looking for Nefi again. It was a great experience. (From the bottom of my heart - thank you, Nefi!)

2  Thank suzGalexy