“fantastic holiday”

Crown Paradise Club Cancun
Ranked #47 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 16 March 2008

we visited this hotel in feb for my 40th birthday.. i was very apprehensive about going after reading other reviews but i can truely say i just dont think some people know how to enjoy thenselves and are too critical and fussy.. i found no fault at all with the hotel or the staff they were all very helpful.. and room was well looked after and clean plenty of room and the beds were a delight to sleep in..as long as you remember to book your required restaurant each morning you got no problems with reservations you can book a couple of nights in advance too.. pools were great.. very entertaining and if you prefer quite there is an adult pool at rear of hotel which is very relaxing..i myself love to watch the entertainment around main pool... the only slight downfall was the evening entertainment which finished at 10.00pm-10.30pm which i thought was too early ..there were bars to drink in until 2.00am but unless there is a big group of you it can be a little boring.. would love to see entertainment go on till 12 midnight other than that holiday was fantastic and relaxing..will be returning in the future without a doubt

Stayed: February 2008
3  Thank michelle2068
Write a ReviewReviews (8,647)

Reviewed 16 March 2008

The hotel Crown Paradise Club in Cancun was exactly what we were looking for! It was amazing for kids, the kids program was amazing, and for my teen, it was safe so she could go off and do her our own thing. Keeping in mind that we booked our getaway, three days before we left it was perfect!

Food: The food was much better then we expected, all expect the Italian. The only thing was that you needed was a reservation.

Buffet - It was much better then we expected, in the morning it made great smoothies, and omlettes. For lunch there were lots of food choices in the buffet. As well for lunch there was a much smaller buffet outside on the pool deck, which had chicken wings, burgers, hotdogs, fries, and salad. For dinner when you didn't get a reservation you would go to the buffet, which had lots of options.

Wayne's Boot - Had pretty good steak, but the real excitment was the bucking bull, the only thing about the bull was that you were only allowed on the bull if you were 18+, but kids afterwards would get a chance to go on and sit on him not moving, but take a photo with them on the bull.

Italian - Quite a disappointment, my youngest (7) adores pasta, and we got turned off when the first table they tried us at, had ants crawling all over. Then, the pizza wasn't the best, but the pasta was all right.

Sushi Restruant - It was at a good location for the times it was open, from 12:00 - 5:00. It had two sides one of just straight sushi, and the other of stir-frys. The Sushi was amazing, and so was the stir-frys.

Fishermans - We never tried it, never got a reservation.

Pools: There were many of pools. There was a Kids Paradise, Teen Paradise, Two main pools, and an Adult pool. All of them were great. For my two younger ones, they signed them selfs in and out of the kids club, but they enjoyed it very much! Teen Paradise, was open for younger kids from 9:00 - 11:00, and my younger ones were there when they could, and my teen was just tanning. The main pools were noisy, because there was always doing something, they young boys were always talking, and alot of the time there were games being played in the pools. The adult pool was very realaxing, it had a swim up pool bar, and a hot tub.

We went during the first week of march break, so that is when all the high school kids were down there for "Spring Break", none of them were at our hotel. On our last night in Cancun, we had heard good things about "Senour Frogs" we wanted to try it, so we got on the bus. When we got there, we walked right out, because it was all the teens, quite crazy, and my youngest didn't need to see any of that. So we went to Harry's which was amazing!

For off site stuff, my husband and 3 kids, went to the zip lining. It included 11 zip lines, a bike ride through the jungle, and a fresh water swimming hole, which had a zip line in it as well.

The public bus was fine, it was 6.50 pesos per person, it wasn't the cleanest, but it was cheaper then a cab. There were many places to go shopping. If you are a huge shopper, the Luxury Avenue was the place to go. It was Burberry, Channel, Tiffany, etc.

Overall it was an amazing quick getaway, and it was amazing.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank tuckergals
Reviewed 14 March 2008

Overall, the hotel is about what I expected at this price point. The staff are nice and will take care of your needs when asked, but one shouldn't expect 5 star service at this resort. The rooms are very decent in size and the beds are OK. Amusingly, the maid left two towels every day even though there were four in our family.

I have read other complaints about the small glasses and I have to concur. It may seem a small point, but its hot there and you need to drink a lot of fluids. It's quite a chore to keep getting up for refills. I did not appreciate the particularly long waits at the bar for service.

My biggest complaint was that we couldn't get a reservation at the restaurants without great difficulty. You have to call a number from your room at 8AM. The number is basically busy as everyone is calling at the same time until about 10AM by which time there are no reservations before 8:30PM that night. We stopped trying. We just ate at the same buffet 3 meals a day.

The pools were nice. My 8 year old very much like the kids club with the water park. This really is a very nice included amenity for families with children.

Overall, we had a good, relaxing time without spending a lot of money. That makes this property still a reasonable destination even despite its shortcomings.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank jordanw
Reviewed 13 March 2008

When you get to your room and turn onthe TV, do not click on the Internet thinking you will be able to read any websites. THE WORDS ARE UNRFERADABLE. Thinking that I was doing something wrong, I tried a few day later to check on stock prices and Stock Market news. Again, I could not read any text.

At checkout they said I had a charge of 167 Pesos, ($16.70) for Internet usage. I was steaming mad and asked for the manager, saying I did not receive any benefit from trying to usde thier internet. IN typical Mexican fashioin, they made me wait about 15 minutes before a manager came out. He asked what the problem was, so I told him what I told the oother agent........The internet is no good, I can't even read text on the screen, so I am unwiling to pay for it. He said we've never had a complaint before.............He again said wait a minute and went away making me wait again for about 15 minutes. Now I was getting reaaly Mad for them wasting my time. Finally the agent came out and asked me to come back inot the office area and wait for the Hotel manager Elias Castellanos. They offered me a seat in a back office. No Way, I said, I want to see him now! He came in and asked me what the problem was. I said you "You are going to follow me and I'll show you what the problem is" I made him come to the room, and I turned on the Internet on the TV. I showed him that you canot read any words.

He said quote " I know that is how it looks, but you went on the internet and we have to pay for it, so you have to pay". "I said you are kidding me right!?"

He said the internet on the TV is for checking email and nopt surfing the web.

I was so pissed, and told him that this was not right! They made me pay anyway and wrecked my whole trip.

Another Scasm in the Area is going to Isle Majures and paying $15 per person for the boat ride there and back. we went on the 10:45 am boat ride. Whenn we got there the agent said there is a return boat at 1:45pm, and 3:45 pm. We came back to the dock about 1:30 with our friends and the 4 small kids we had that were having a meltdown. When trying to cjheck in, the woman acted dumb, like she forgot english. Finally she said the boat already left. Now a few other people were around us looking for the 1:45 also, including some guy that was very sick and needed to get back.

She called a "manager" over and he said we could wait abnother 45 minutes and take anbother boat back to a place North of Cancun and take a bus back down tot he Hotel Zone. Since we couldn't wait until 3:45 due to the kids, we sadi OK, as did all the othewr peopl wwaitign for th e1:45. Notice we never got a staright answer about the 1:45 boat and what happened to it. So now he said to exchange our tickets for ones with the new destination.

We did this and I saw some cash changing hands and the "manager running back and forth to another booth.

Wew did make it bacvk to a dock about a 30 minute bus ride farther than our original departure dock. When we got there we saw that tickets to Isle Majures were only 35 pesos ($3.50) INstead of 150 Pesos ($15.00). SCAM. So the dock attendents on Isla Majures were taking our return tickets, worth $7.50 each. and giving us tickes that were $1.50 each, hoping they would be able to sell those tickets later to propel wantign to gotot the dock closer to the Hotel Zone.

The bus ride from this other Port North of th eone on the end of the Hotel Zone was long and Miserable, especially with 4 tired kids.

Advice: If you are going to Isle Majures, plan on waiting for the 3:45 trip home.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 13 March 2008

Right - like I said in the title - this is how it is - Im 29 years old and went here for 7 nights with 4 other lads of similer age.
We went during spring break but even though it was a busy time this hotel managed to stay very calm as the majority of the guests were couples an families.
The hotel was very clean + tidy, therooms were nice with good views of the beach and sea.
The staff were very friendly and helpful - we were always greeted with a smile.
The food was also very good - we mainly ate in the buffet as we were desperate to get out on it ASAP!!
The main pool has great views of the sea and games are played most afternoons (although the poolside entertainment was repetative and very annoying - it would have been so much better with some nice music - instead staff are shouting blah blah blah down the microphone).
The Adult pool can be found on floor one and has two hot tubs at either end of the pool with a swim up bar in the centre - needless to say this is where we spent most of our chill out time.

Things to bare in mind:

1) Do not book any trips through the hotel - we went to an island called Xei Ha - the hotel tour operators were charging $115 - on the street vendors it was around $55.
2) Tips are everything here - you are expected to tip but only tip the staff you think have deserved it - tip at the start of your night for maximum benifits (50 pesos = £2.50 seems like a resonably good tip)
3) It is against the rules of all the hotels to allow visitors in the complex - security wil check your wrist bands on entry to the hotel.

One word of warning - the beach has some big sharp rocks - most of the day these cant be seen but when the tide is out its a scary sight so beware!!

To finish off I would like to tell you about the clubs around Cancun - these are in order of my personal favorite (I think most English will agree but Americans and Canadians seem to have a different opinion!?)....

Coco Bongo - this place is great - a mixture of music and some quick shows every half hour or so (such as can can dancers etc)
Dancing on the bars is encoraged, bubbles and baloons are released into the air to play with.
When it gets too hot you are blasted with cold air which is a lovely thing! ($40 - $60 at weekends = open bar)

Bulldogs - smaller but no messing about - thumping tunes all night - a stage for the chicks to strut and a hot tub with a waterfall for the cream of the crop - great tunes only stop for 30 mins when a band appears and belts out some greats like foo fighters and guns and roses - class act ($30 - £35 = open bar)

Escape - good size + good tunes - moving dance floor (to the bass) and at about 2am the sprinklers go off and you get soaked - let it rain baby!! ($40 = open bar)

Bling - off the beaten track and slightly more expensive - pay per drink here and its all outside on a huge music filled deck in the water - great night + good views - very refreshing and more up-market than the rest. ($6 per cocktail)

City - hummm - trys hard to be like cocco bongo but falls short - enough staff to sail the entie Brittish fleet all jumping around like children - then they clear the dance floor and one person pops up throws some fire sticks then buggers off again - pointless really - go to bongos. ($40 = go to bongos)

Senor frogs - avoid this hole - its rubbish - you get robbed and the staff are in your face bigtime - relentlesly blowing whistles in your ear and shouting about etc - music is interupted every 5 mins by a fool with a microphone - I left after 25 minutes - utter hell. ($35 = hell)

Strip clus - plaza 21 has 7 strip bars in a row!!! about a 45 minute taxi ride from the hotel = ($20 taxi) + ($20 entry to all clubs).

Clubs not visited - Daddyos.

Stayed: March 2008