“Great Vacation”

Ranked #58 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Stevenson
“Great Vacation”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I took my son there for spring break. He had the best itme .They had a teen club in which he met alot of friends. There was a pool table, ping png, Wii, x-box and an adult who kept them busy with games and getting them together. therre was also another section for young kids. there were alot of families there and alot to keep kids busy. They even had a club were they could dance.My favorite restaurant was the Fishermans along with the Italian resataurant. The french restaurant was alos very good. Waynes Boots was terrible. I took advice from previous reviews and was able to secure reservations for 2 nights before we first got there. There was also a nice quite bar area that looked over the ocean.I can't remeber the name. It started with a T but they had 2 pool tables and was kindof like an english pub. It was really windy the first couple of days and the ocean was like a washing machine but we had fun swimming in it. It calmed down after that and were able to jump the waves. We sat at the beach everyday because the pool was yes already reserved with towels early in the morning. I preferred the beach . It was not as loud as the pool area. Our room was nice, overlooking the ocean with a balcony. the beds and pillows were hard. Carlos and Antonio are excellant bartenders on the main floor. Always pleasant and remeber you. Everybody was really nice.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,396)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 28 March 2012

My husband, 6 yr old daughter and I stayed here the week of Feb 13-18. We tried to avoid the crowds by going before spring breaks started and it was still pretty busy....I'd recommend trying to avoid peak seasons b/c I can only imagine how busy it could get.

Food: Not bad, seemed like the restaraunts had a lot of the same food as the buffet, but they were a fun atmosphere, so worth checking out. To sum it up, there wasn't anything we were really excited about eating/trying, but there wasn't a time where we couldn't find something that was good enough. I didn't really appreciate Alberta beef until I travelled LOL.

Hotel: the first night we were put in a room that was old, the locks didn't work and was pretty run down looking. Also didn't have a safe. So we talked to the front desk and had to wait til the next day to check out in the am and then re-check in (at 3) kind of a pain in the @$$ but the second room was much nicer....if you end up in a bad room to start, make sure you ask to switch, they were very helpful with this. (I get the feeling it happens all the time) Beautiful grounds, tons of stuff to do. We spent the majority of the days poolside and were more than happy to do so. I would definitely come back here.

Atmosphere: Fantastic! The staff was very friendly and helpful. Nightly shows were entertaining. Kids waterpark was well supervised by staff and appreciated the safety features at the gate to go in and out. You can drop your kid off and go somewhere else if you want, but I am not comfortable with leaving my child with ppl I don't know. (even at home we only use family memebers for babysittting) so I was content to sit on the side with my book while she ran around. Not much place to sit, and don't plan on sitting in the sun bc its pretty shady in there, but then again I'm sure they expect parents to drop kids off and not need a place to sit. Vendors in the hotel were not pushy and had some really good artwork.

All in all it was a great trip and a great hotel. It's not over the top fancy but it's on the less expensive side for an all-inclusive. This hotel is definitely not for couples looking for a quiet getaway, or for ppl who mind kids running around all the time, but it is perfect for families. Very satisfied with the trip overall. :) Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask for another room if the one they give you isn't good enough.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Kylynne P
Arlington Heights
Reviewed 28 March 2012

This resort is a fine place for a family...enough activities and things to do for the kids and nice enough for adults. However, with every pro comes the cons.

FOOD - The food is fine, not spectacular, but surprisingly better then I thought from reading other reviews. We didn't experience the hassles of reservations since we emailed in our requests and they honored them up to 3 days ahead of time. The other days we called early in the morning and got in without a problem.

RESORT - The resort feels like a "large hotel on the ocean" rather then a 5 star resort. We prefer to have grounds to walk about and look at, but overall it was clean and comfortable, however the building is older and needing some repairs in many areas.

ROOMS - We had a family standard with bunks. Since there is 5 of us, the room was a bit crowded, but at least this resort honors a family of 5, so I was thankful for that. Beds are hard, but fine, however pillows are overstuffed rocks. Also, they don't really provide toiletries...NO Conditioner which one expects for a 5 star resort.**BAD NOTE, house keeping not so great, our daughter did get sick in the room one night and we called down asking for mop (we planned on cleaning it up)....no one ever came. They did bring sheets eventually and new towels but with many calls. . UGH!!

VIEW - This one is tricky. We got stuck on the quiet side of hotel (which is nice), but you stare into a abandoned hotel (NOT SO NICE). They did switch our room after asking on the 2nd day, much better view, but Loud with the disco being under you. We were on 4th Floor.

STAFF- The entertainment staff was wonderful and tried very hard to keep it lively and yet not over the top for those who wanted to be left alone. However some of the bartenders/staff were a bit rude and tended to make fun of you if your Spanish wasn't up to par. I found that a bit saddening, since most guests including myself are trying to be polite.

BEACH - Nice beach, kept clean...however water was very rough during our stay. Not their fault but something to be aware of. There are chairs and some covered shaded areas, but overall nice.

OVERALL-We had a good time. The kids were happy and that makes you as a parent happy. There was enough to do for kids and enough for my husband and I to be entertained and happy as well. I wouldn't say it was a 5 star by no means...but worth the money (so long as you get the view you want). I would recommend this hotel to others, but I would need to inform them of the pros and cons of it all.

Room Tip: **Tower 2 nicer overall** Tower 1 request higher floor and looking at pool/ocean view. Reservations...
3 Thank J S
Oak Brook,IL
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Check in was smooth . Went down to La palapa for Dinner and were shocked to see the poor choices and quality of food. The only redeeming feature was the Ice Cream/Fruits. Most dishes were distasteful bordering on diabolical. We were even thinking of going to Downtown Cancun for dinner every night. Thankfully all our days in Cancun were spent outside the hotel so were spared having to eat lunch here. It's OK for the price, and the Rooms were decent. We are not
picky eaters , but good quality is important to us. If you want a better food experience go elsewhere. Costco Travel dropped the ball on this one.

Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We have stayed at the crown 2 times now and are getting ready to return again. 1st time just my husband and I. 2nd time my husband, myself and our 20 yr old son and this year the 3 of us and our son's gf. As you can tell we have no young children and still enjoy the resort. When we 1st came to cancun we didnt want to choose a low price hotel because of security fears and did not want to stay at a high price because of the price. We chose this for the price, the options and the looks. The price we feel is perfect for the hospitality you receive. There are many options of restaurants, pools, bars and things for children to do.The 1st yr we tried the french restaurant. We liked it but we wont bother with bringing dress clothes again just to eat dinner. Love waynes boot!! Smaller portions but what do you expect for how much food is wasted by people. The only restaurant we have not tried is the sushi one, which we do not eat. We eat alot at the buffet and enjoy it. You have omelette and smoothie stations in the morning and a taste of other nationalities at dinner time.We love the adult only bar and pool when the kids get to be too much. I love the nightly shows!! The crew puts on a great performance!! The place looks good-its an open lobby hotel so I assume its going to need more attention due to the weather and you always see workers. The hospitality is amazing. The wait staff, bartenders and cleaning crew are always friendly, most cannot speak English, but will still smile and acknowledge you. Our check in has been quick. We have stayed in old and new parts, with no matter to us. I have seen a bug or 2, but I leave the door open alot. I cant say anything about the kid area but I would be happy if I was a young 1! Im not giving the resort an excellent because it isn't but it suits our needs, which on vacation aren't much.

Room Tip: 1 rm suite was a king bed in bedroom and a sofa like thing and rollaway in living room, small kitche...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family