“Nice Clean hotel, Great location, Good staff”

Holiday Inn Veracruz - Centro Historico
Ranked #14 of 75 Hotels in Veracruz
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My spouse of 20 years is from Veracruz, so we visit often. We stayed at the Holliday Inn 6 or 7 years ago and were not happy. On this trip I was looking to use points, so decided to try the Holliday Inn again for its location.
The hotel has been nicely renovated. the room was nice, but basic. 20 ft. ceilings, and nice windows looking out on the street. It was clean, comfortable and safe. Great location for downtown (los Portales, zocolo, etc) and free parking (hard to find in downtown Ver). The hotel staff was helpful, in both English or Spanish. We did get only decaf coffee most nights, but the front desk was able to get us real coffee.
Very nice courtyard with a pool. Very Mexican in flavor, but easy for an American. Not a 5 star hotel, but a good value, and a great location with friendly staff.

Room Tip: Go for a second floor room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travloften

Reviewed 18 March 2014

This was twice as expensive as other places I stayed in in Mexico during my two and a half weeks. We had to be moved upstairs as the room down stairs smelled damp and musty but after that was done quickly and efficiently, there were no problems and it was not unlike staying in a Holiday Inn anywhere in the world, apart from the look of the place - a converted former convent. It was not in the best part of town. We were there for Carneval and it was ideally located for that, which started and finished close to the Zocalo with much of the action also nearby. It felt safe enough, but I doubt if it had the relaxed feel of some of the holiday places further towards Boca del Rio. Nonethless, as a courtyard style building, with the courtyard having been converted into a pool and garden, it was extremely quiet and successfully shut out the outside world to the extent we could have been anywhere in the tropics. The hotel has a branch of Gran Cafe de la Parroquia (one of the city's well-established coffee halls) for food etc, which is pricey by Mexican standards but reasonable and comparative with other four-star hotel restaurants. I'm not a fan of chain hotels but if you are looking for something with international standards and a reasonable amount of atmosphere, quiet and within spitting distance of the Zocalo, this may be your best bet. If you are after higher standards, you might be better looking at the clones further towards Boca del Rio.

Room Tip: Get one upstairs to avoid the damp of those in the tier below.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager945, Manager at Holiday Inn Veracruz - Centro Historico, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

We really appreciate your comments, look forward to your preference.Thank You

Reviewed 8 November 2013

nice local if you want to be near the portales staff ok but cool not very friendly rooms ok service good just needs a little more personal touch over all 3 1/2 * i think it would be better if you scouted the area for a more friendly local its ok but i think you can do better

Room Tip: ask to check out the room
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sammeets
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Veracruz - Centro Historico, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear sammeets,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the hotel staff may have caused. We will follow up with the staff to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Regards,

Jaime W

Reviewed 6 November 2013

This is not your typical Holiday Inn. It is a very old beautiful building in the heart of the downtown tourist district. Not very expensive it is good value. There are several problems I had staying here. I've stayed here twice once for a week in September 21013 and the current visit 1st week of November 2013. On my first visit I had no real problems, the shower was a bit cool - ok it was cold - but they fixed that when I complained and the shower overflowed and ran out the door. They fixed that too. I was in room 108 which is a large room with high ceiling (easily 15ft - 5m) and a view over the courtyard and pool. My wifi dropped out every day, no big deal.

My second visit - in progress - I ended up in a smaller room at the corner, no view. The lighting was appalling, not enough to read by. The wifi had a strength of -80dB or less. Not enough to be useable. The shower was lukewarm at best. I have to have wifi I use it to keep in touch with the office. I complained and changed rooms. I now have room 220 on the second floor, a view over the street and plaza. No wifi signal at all. I just complained to the front desk, the usual very poor lighting, the shower is warm enough but without much water flow.

The restaurant is OK for breakfast and dinner. Not very exciting but perfectly adequate, nice staff.

None of the staff speak very good English and most don't speak any. My Spanish is non-existant which may cause some problems not to be resolved, but then the problems shouldn't exist in the first place.

I am a Platinum Elite member so I should have got a pretty good room. I wonder what the other rooms are like. That said all the rooms and are clean and smell OK with all the usual hotel room things.

Room Tip: The only room I liked was 108, but any on the ground facing the coutyard should be OK, don't tak...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank robert77546
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Veracruz - Centro Historico, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear robert77546,

Thank you for staying with us again and for taking the time to post your feedback. It is great to know our staff were able to assist you with your concerns while you are with us. We certainly do our utmost to make our guest's stay comfortable and pleasant, especially our loyal IHG Rewards Club Platinum Members and on this occasion we deeply regret we did not exceed your expectations with our facilities. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for.

Thank you for your review and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Karen C

Reviewed 14 September 2013

This place is not a usual Holiday Inn, it is in a row of buildings which it is the only hotel. It is very hard to see from the road and you drive right by it. If you are looking for old charm this hotel has it with all the wood it is made of. I was on the second floor directly above the front desk and I could hear everything the front desk clerk and others were saying all night long. Unfortunately none of them understood English or didn't care one. I kept going down stairs until 0630 when I finally got up and left the hotel. I'm sorry but with multilingual visitors they should have someone in the hotel at all times to be able to communicate with their customers. The room was nice, but if you want a bath they only have showers here. I loved the to the floor window and the wooden beams on the ceiling. I had dinner and the food was great, I just wasn't happy with any of the staff during my visit.

Room Tip: They have no elevator, and stay in rooms away from the desk too much talking from staff.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Veracruz - Centro Historico, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Dear DonnaKronmiller,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and for staying with us. It is a great pleasure to read you found our rooms commendable and enjoyed the food that was served. However, we are sorry the hotel location and level of staff service was less than satisfactory. We highly value your views and feedback, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience. We hope to serve you soon.

Zelyn N