“Nice view, average food and higher than average cost”

Restaurante El Atrio
Ranked #8 of 66 Restaurants in Taxco
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 21 March 2017

We were on an all day tour with Monopolis Tours out of MX City. Drove down 19th century main street in Taxco after visiting Plateria Moreno silver shop. Parked and walked to El Atrio Restaurant for lunch. Gave us a set price menu with three soups, three meat dishes and either water or coffee for 165 Pesos. We tried the chicken and
vegetable soups and both were good. I had pork chops and my spouse chicken
and these were very tasty. Everyone was offered a piece of chocolate cake. We had three glasses of jimica between us instead of water or coffee and were billed 35
Pesos for each glass. We wanted to pay by credit card, but advised the machine did not work. Overall the food was good, the service ok and the cost higher than it should have been. Too many other interesting restaurants in town, many on rooftops, to go to this restaurant, if you have a choice.

Reviewed 11 March 2017 via mobile

I had a lovely late meal in this place.
If your group is small you can have your meal in the balcony (3 ppl) with a look at the main Plaza.
The service is really good and the food is good.
I read a book over my meal and my beer and with the afternoon settling down, it was just magical.

Reviewed 11 February 2017

Výborné jedlo, príjemné prostredia v centre mesta.
Delicious food, pleasant surroundings in the city center.

Reviewed 1 January 2017

I took a day trip to Taxco from Mexico City on 12/30/16. The tour guide took us here, so we had no choice. The place looks clean and stylish. The view of the city and the mountain range is great. The set price is 165 pesos, and I select lentil soup, steak with bit steam vegetable, and an American coffee. Steak is good, but is not much. The coffee is very thin and bland, which is not as good as my instant coffee. I got a bottle of coke. They added service fee automatically. Overall, I paid 215 pesos, which is bit high by Mexican standard.

At one point, two singers were asked to sing a song called “The black Door.” The melody is not memorable, but I later googled the lyrics, which is wonderful. Here it is:

“It's closed already with three padlocks/ and riveted the black door/ because your parents are jealous/ and are afraid that I love you// They must think that being enclosed/ will make you stop loving me soon/ but not even the door or one hundred padlocks will/ be able stop me// But the door is not responsible/ that inside you are crying/ you love me and I love you/ the black door is superfluous/ Ask your father and mother/ if they ever enjoyed love/ if they loved each other/ was the door the black door also closed for them// But the door is not responsible/ that inside you are crying/ you love me and I love you/ the black door is superfluous.

Reviewed 20 December 2016

There are two parts to this restaurant, each with its own menu. El Atrio is great for Mexican food and views of the Zocalo if seated on the balcony. I personally prefer to eat on the terrace of the pizzeria (in the same building) with a view of the city. Servers will give you both restaurants menus and you can be served from either menu no matter where you choose to dine.
Cesar salad, lasagna, and cocktails are incredible!