“A MUST!! Excellent! Tasty! Clean! Sophisticated! ”
Review of El Destilado

El Destilado
Ranked #3 of 575 Restaurants in Oaxaca
Price range: US$11 - US$58
Description: Tasting Menus with Reservations (Tues. - Sun.) Mezcal Tastings with Appointment Happy Hour 5:00 - 6:30
Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

What a great place. Friendly festive environment. We had fish tacos, pappardelle and chocolate pudding and berry tart desert. All fabulous!! Also had Oaxaca beers Boy stout, Rey Oh, Toledo. All good. Outstanding creative chef!

2  Thank stacylevy

Reviewed 29 June 2017

This is a tiny bar/restaurant with an outstanding tasting menu - think tapas- that can be paired with mezcal(s) for a fun evening. Our party spent a leisurely three hours with the 9-course pairings. Got some very imaginative food (corn fungus empanada/pork belly w/mole) AND found out we really really like mezcal. Wait staff spoke English. We got to meet the sous chef and chat with him. Service was great. This is not a "fancy" restaurant, just a great little place that loves (pretty fancy) food and drink.

Reviewed 23 June 2017

We've been there three times, and each visit the experience has exceeded the previous. But this was the first time trying the tasting menu (three of four of us), and I believe the first visit with Julio at the helm as head chef. Service was attentive but not overpowering, the pairing of the different mini-courses with different alcohols was dead on, and the quality of fare was tasty and unique in terms of combining flavours, essentially Oaxacan, and it all certainly entailed a lot of thought. The ambiance is quaint and traditional, no pretentiousness at all in terms of either the physical environment or wait staff which presented each course with an explanation. This evening I only drank a couple of mezcales, but from prior visits I know that the selection is broad, and that the owners do a top notch job sourcing the agave spirits on hand. Yes it costs to dine at El Destilado, but for that kind of experience you can't begrudge and you certainly get value for your pesos. We will definitively keep coming back, on our own, and recommending to friends (and in my case clients). I rate it as fine dining for the cost, but in terms of ambiance and overall experience, I would put it in a different category, not sure which or what, perhaps classy comfortable.

Reviewed 22 June 2017

I went to El Destilado a few nights ago with some friends. The food was phenomenal and the service was superb. Everyone was friendly and outgoing. The mezcal was a great experience as well. We got to experience the "Chefs Menu" and all the different courses they brought out were amazing. I am very happy to say that this is one of the best restaurants I've ever been to. If you are in town, this is a must go to place.

1  Thank Edwin Q
Reviewed 17 June 2017

I thought this was just a bar, but I was blown away when we ate dinner here. I don't frequent many "fancy" restaurants, but we had this 14 course meal with each course looking like a work of art - I absolutely loved the experience.

Jason was a very gracious host and I love how he put this restaurant/bar together. He also has his own Mezcal (technically Agave Distillates) house label from producers he hand-picked. The decorations in this establishment are also awesome. Highly recommend it!

2  Thank rsidrys