“Fabulous views from the terrace, exceptional food, marginal service”

Casa Oaxaca El Restaurante
Ranked #8 of 575 Restaurants in Oaxaca
Price range: US$290 - US$595
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 14 March 2018

This is an impressive restaurant, held back from greatness by the quality of the service. From the initial included appetizer prepared table-side to dessert, there's a lot to appreciate and enjoy. The wine list is puzzlingly expensive (and the meal isn't cheap, but it's so worth it) but there's perfectly tolerable and affordable wine by the glass. Not to dwell too much on the service, but it just doesn't measure up: indifferent, bordering on the unfriendly, with apparently no accountability to a given waiter. But go back? You bet!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,666)

Reviewed 14 March 2018

I don't understand how this restaurant could possibly get a negative review, although I suppose any restaurant can have an off-night or a bad server. In our case, it was very much an ON-night as service, food, atmosphere, everything was over-the-top. We even found it very easy to get a 4:30 p.m. reservation on the rooftop terrace. (Better to go a bit later for that, however, so you can watch the sun go down.) We started with a mezcal and cucumber cocktail (a mezcalarita? or something like that). Delicious. Then I took a deep breath and ordered the bunuelo with ants, agave worms, grasshoppers, and ant-infused mayonaise. Okay, I just wanted to brag when I got home. But to my surprise, this turned out to be absolutely delicious. I would definitely order it again but this time just because it's so darned good. My wife played it safe with a beef and smoked trout dish, which was equally good (although not as adventurous). Next was the caldo de piedra (stone soup)--a culinary entertainment when they drop the rocks into your soup as well as a tasty broth with shrimp, octopus, clams, fish, and who-knows-what-else. (No worms or ants, though). We could easily have kept going, but we had been stuffing ourselves for a full week and decided to move on to dessert. The chocolate sphere is a must. We also ordered one of the flans. Not as good as the chocolate but a standout nonetheless. All of this plus a second mezcal cocktail and a tip cost us $60! This is generally considered the most expensive restaurant in Oaxaca. For comparison, when we left Oaxaca, we got a burger and side salad at an airport restaurant in Houston and one beer. The cost? Yeah, $60. And I should add that the salsa prep everyone talks about in these reviews is worth talking about in these reviews.

Reviewed 12 March 2018

Next time I go to Oaxaca, I will go here until I eat every single thing on the menu. Not uptight at all. Unbelievable service. Wonderful decor. Some of the best food you will ever taste in your life. Be sure to reserve in advance.

Reviewed 9 March 2018

First of all a very nice location. It is a rooftop terrace next to the Cathedral. Food was absolutely delicious. Very fresh, very tasty. Excellent little wine list. Everything fairly priced.
Went back a second tinme: so good.

1  Thank ulibear
Reviewed 8 March 2018

The ambience, the great 5-star service, the rooftop terrace, the incredible fusion cuisine of Oaxacan specialties with french style elegance and artistic flavorful dishes all make for this exquisite foody destination that is for us, the map of Oaxacan elegance. If you don't try this in Oaxaca, you will have missed a great culinary experience.

1  Thank AthenaG553