1,158 results
All reviews other guests garden room house dog wine hour mexican specialty place to stay the penthouse condesa neighborhood main building every morning every evening interesting people churros breakfast and happy hour complimentary wine b bs yogurt
Reviewed 20 November 2012

An oasis of hospitality and cordiality. We enjoyed many hours in the lovely courtyard sipping wine provided by our hosts and getting to know other guests. Great neighborhood within walking distance to several terrific restaurants and a metro stop. Our innkeepers were always available to help with directions, suggestions, and whatever was needed. The breakfasts were muy delicioso!! Hope we can return soon.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DesertSusan
Reviewed 20 November 2012

The Red Tree house is like home away from home. It's in a great location, but what makes this place special are the people. In the morning breakfast was local Mexican food which made the experience so much more authentic as well the hotel staff always keen to answer questions as well as learn the guest culture and different experiences. If you looking for a truly unique experience in Mexico I would definitely recommend the Red Tree House, it's not your hotel type holiday but truly something that will leave you with memories.

Room Tip: Speak to Victor who could arrange tours to certain destinations, just do your homework before you get there.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 November 2012 via mobile

I can't quite believe I am about to become the first person to have ever given this place less than a 4 but here goes...
This is probably the friendliest place you will ever stay in, Abril the dog is gorgeous and yes you do get free alcohol every night and the breakfasts really are incredibly good.
However.. A hotel / B&B / whatever you want to call it ultimately comes down to quality of sleep and this is where it comes unstuck.
The place needs thicker curtains! We stayed in Ofelia and it looks lovely but by 2.30am on the first night it was so light from all the lamps in the garden you could actually read a book - yes we tried. So we went down to reception to ask if they could turn the lights off and promptly fell flat on the floor as the interior of the building was ironically pitch black. They couldn't do anything that night so by 3am I was doing a bit of DIY draping a blanket over the windows (in the drawer under the safe if you need one). The next day they did disable the bulb immediately outside our door but it was still very light so I persisted in the blanket approach. Unfortunately I couldn't do this with the window at the back (no curtain or curtain rail) so we just had to put up with the room being lit up everytime next door went to the bathroom.
Hot water is patchy, failing frequently while we were there, leave it running for about 10-15mins and it normally starts again.
On our final day we asked at breakfast if a taxi could be booked for us that evening. We then checked again before we went out for the day. They forgot and the poor guy in the evening spent 45mins running around trying to get one for us so we didnt miss our flight (he was great and I wish I had got his name).
A note on the area - Condesa is lovely especially if you want to be away from the hustle and bustle but it's very easy to get lost in especially at night as there are practically no street lights. There are many restaurants near the hotel and it's only a couple of blocks from a tourist bus stop (turibus).
So - people are lovely, the atmosphere is great, good location, I just couldn't sleep there.

• Stayed: November 2012
8  Thank Grant_UK
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I'll keep this relatively short and sweet, as previous reviewers have already made it clear: This place is a GEM. The Red Tree House is a true home away from home the moment you walk through the door. Impeccable oasis-like surroundings, incredible hosts you wish were your friends, delicious breakfasts, and a pre-dinner glass of wine by the fire that quickly becomes a nightly ritual. The reasonable price point means your fellow travelers are varied and more interesting than the standard crowd at a hostel or high-end hotel. Mexico City is now one of my favorite cities, and the Red Tree House will make my next return happen much sooner than later...thank you Victor, Ernesto and Edwardo!

Room Tip: You can't lose with any of the rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Carrie H
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I asked myself, why take the time to write a review when there are hundreds of others and when I don't really have anything new to add? The answer, because I can't stop talking about the Red Tree House! You have to experience it to know what a special place it is. The wonderful staff are always available for your every need or want. They can give advice to the traveler on a tight budget as well as to those who are looking for something more high-end. Although we are not usually the social types, we really enjoyed meeting like-minded people from all over the world. At the Red Tree House you can have whatever type of experience that you want. What more could you ask for?

Room Tip: The Tree House room, though charming, was a little small for two people.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple