“Such a lovely place”

Casa Museo Gene Byron
Ranked #23 of 76 things to do in Guanajuato
Reviewed 27 July 2017

Before you visit, read about Gene Byron. The staff are really great about giving details in regards to the property, free tour. The grounds a lush and lovely. Wonderful place for pictures, so have your camera ready. We were able to enjoy a gentleman playing piano, which added a touch of class. Glad we were able to see this place.

1  Thank novemberdecember
"pesos"
in 5 reviews
"mexico"

Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

Great way to take a quick trip out of Guanajuato (about 20 minute from center) and escape into a garden oasis.

Our tour of the house and garden didn't last long and was not too extensive, but we enjoyed seeing something beautiful. We did stay longer and had lunch at the restaurant on site which made for a lovely afternoon.

Worth a visit if you want to get out of Guanajuato, but don't have that much time. I believe they close early, so come mid morning or midday.

1  Thank John V
Reviewed 29 June 2017

I wish I could review this charming old home based on an interior tour, however we went early to a Sunday concert thinking we’d be able to tour the house before or after the concert but that didn’t seem to be available. I will say if the exterior and the concert room are any indication of the rest of the property I would highly recommend going to a concert and going back for the tour.
Unfortunately we ran out of time and regretfully couldn’t go back.

If you are staying in Zona Centro area it’s very easy to catch a cab to get there, however after the concert (this may have been due to Father’s Day) we did have to wait about 30 min. to get a cab. So I would say to check the bus route to see what bus stops right outside Gene Byron that could take you back to Centro. We saw about 4-5 busses stop while we were waiting for a taxi to come by.

The concert we saw was wonderful it was a Bassoon Trio, which we’d never experienced “all Bassoons” and we fell in love with the talent, diversity and charming art filled room it was held in. After the concert (included in the $140. peso price) we all went down to the garden where they had a wonderful spread of snacks and complimentary glass of wine with additional wine for $25 pesos per glass. The musicians were there to talk to as well as one of the curators of the home…really wonderful afternoon and highly recommended.

1  Thank 2WorldGypsies
Reviewed 23 January 2017 via mobile

I only visit this place for the Sunday shows. The show and artists have been excellent at the 3 shows I have been to so far. Nice touch.. wine and snacks after the show in the garden.. great meet and mingle time. It is a bit of an expat & lost tourists hangout. Parking is very limited but street parking is ok.

1  Thank im44
See more reviews
Reviewed 14 July 2016

I've never been to this place before, it was quite worth it. I absolutely loved it. The museum was quite beautiful, and the guide was really helpful. You can take as many photos as you want, and the architecture of the place is lovely. The houses have the enchanting vibe of a Mexican hacienda. They have many paintings from the author and they show you the beautiful house of Gene Byron. You can even meet Gene Byron's husband, who still lives there and is very nice. I would just recommend wearing flats or tennis since the road to get in the house is quite steep. If you or people who accompanies you have wheelchair, be careful because the road from the main entrance to the house is quite steep and full of rocks. It's a lovely place, and the gardens are lovely!

4  Thank Alejandra R