Review Highlights
Great gardens, wonderful concert

We loved our visit to Casa gene Byron. Sunday's is usually concert day at 1:00pm. Cost is 140 pesos... read more

Reviewed 29 October 2018
suzannelbrock
Central Oregon, USA
via mobile
A Favorite!

For me and many of my friends, the Sunday noon Chamber Music concerts are a weekly must! The... read more

Reviewed 16 May 2018
Jürgen B
Ciudad Guanajuato, Guanajuato, Mexico
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Guanajuato
from US$1,010.00
More Info
from US$895.00
More Info
All reviews stone walls chamber music musical events concert marfil violin canapes musicians interior orchestra art university pesos museum mexico
Reviewed 26 August 2015

This house museum is a favorite of mine. Located among a string of old silver ore processing haciendas, this 17th century property was purchased in 1954 by Gene Byron, and her husband Dr. Virgilio Fernandez. Hernandez was a Spanish pediatrician. The Canadian Byron was born in 1910, and came to Mexico for the first time in 1942. Her background was in acting and she was also a painter and designer of ceramics and metalwork. She died in 1987 at the age of 77.

Together they restored the long spacious main building, which lacked any roof when they bought it. Today it is still full of their furniture and her paintings. The light fixtures and other metal accessories are also by her. The place exudes a detailed sense of what life was like for northerners in Mexico at the mid twentieth century. Byron ran what would be called a salon, where writers and painters of the period gathered for parties. Today the second floor functions as a concert hall with musical events every Sunday.

On coming in I was fortunate to meet Dr. Fernandez himself, now 97 but still quite sharp, and we had a wonderful conversation about the old times. On his death the property will go to the University of Guanajuato. This is truly a unique experience for those interested in Canadian and American relations with Mexico from a disappearing time. Our guide was extremely helpful and well informed.

John Scherber
Author of Into the Heart of Mexico

Date of experience: August 2015
7  Thank AuthorJohnScherber
Reviewed 1 March 2015

Maybe if the staff person who showed us around would have been interested in providing some information, giving us some time to view the art and artifacts, we would have enjoyed it more. This site is out of the way, and in a city of many cultural sites, it is probably not worth your time.

Date of experience: February 2015
1  Thank Manray09
Reviewed 23 January 2015

She was my mothers friend and I always enjoyed her kindness. What she created was a world of beauty for all to share. Enjoy!

Date of experience: December 2014
6  Thank Xiquena
Reviewed 2 December 2014

A must visit if going to Guanajuato. Although it is a bit outside the Center it was really quite amazing. The property is unique with amazing art wall to wall to ceiling to floor and one of a kind furniture. A restaurant is being built and the bathroom facilities were clean. Truly a paradise for musicians and artists. They allow musicians to bring their own instruments and practice at the location and we were treated to a guitarist playing as well as a piano, clarinet, and violin trio. (We were told the three are members of the symphonic orchestra). We were told that concerts are held every Sunday and we would have loved to see one. Our own personal tour guide who told us about Gene Byron and her husband who is still alive today. We spend about 2 hours exploring the property, listening to our tour guide about the life of Gene Byron and her husband Dr. Virgil Fernández and listening to musicians rehearsing/practicing, A MUST visit :)

Date of experience: November 2014
5  Thank MarshaMcCullough
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I was on the fence about whether to skip this hacienda as I was on limited time ...after seeing Hacienda Las Trancas (the most special hacienda of them all) followed with a tour of Exhacienda San Gabriel de Barrera I was uncertain if G.B. would be worth it!

Boy was I am glad that I listened to my tour guide...this hacienda was completely different from the rest that I toured in GTO. Very unique and well worth the time!

The grounds are spectacular in the sense that the setting is quaint and natural...the opposite from the manicured garden setting that one experiences at Exhacienda S.G. De Barrera. Exhacienda S.G. is amazing but do know it's not natural and for the most part the gardens remind me of The Paul Getty Museum.
If you are in search of a true authentic hacienda in a natural setting Las Trancas would be my #1 recommendation.

Back to G.B.
I loved the fact that Gene and his wife crafted most of the homes furnishings (incredible retablos, statues, fireplaces, Sangre de toro interior floors the textured walls ...I can go on forever!

We lucked out that the symphony was rehearsing as we toured the property. Pretty surreal moment! They were top elite musicians from around the globe ...the music in the background as we walked the property made the tour pretty special :)

Highly recommend!

Points of attn:
Their retail store upstairs has some of the most unique traditional handmade Mexican apparel pieces I seen while visiting in GTO. We were stunned as our tour guide advised us that the prices were the most reasonable she had ever seen ....pretty odd as it is a museum.

Date of experience: June 2014