All reviews la ropa ocean view party scene dona prudencia per night year after year included breakfast oceanfront room beautiful beach front row closer to the beach low season flat screen each morning las gatas the entire staff vm
Reviewed 9 February 2018

Once again, we were very pleased with our stay this year. We came back for 10 days this time and still were not ready to leave this extraordinary location. The staff is top notch and the hotel is always clean and well managed. It is important to note that this is a great place to just get away and not have to deal with stress. This is not a place to bring kids or young adults who are used to the party scene, loud music, water activities, etc. It is also not for those looking for big fancy rooms and lots of amenities. Thank you to the staff who know how to create the perfect atmosphere! I just want to comment that the soft music that they were playing at times is fine, it was not intrusive to us. The drink plan is also very appreciated and the hours of service for the plan are perfect as well. We were treated to excellent food and service at the restaurant at the hotel and those along the beach and in town. Already making plans to return next year, and looking forward to seeing all the new friends we made there again.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MinnesotaTraveldude
Reviewed 28 January 2018

This is my 4th visit to the Villa Mexicanna in 5 years - I simply love it! The staff is amazing - they are always working - cleaning - serving - it is a great place to spend a 'not to fancy' holiday. Perhaps because I've 'made friends' with many of the January 'regulars' I find it very accomodating- i suspect this helps with any holiday! The weather seems to always cooperate. The beach is so nice and cleaned-up in the morning ---- all the way along the 1 mile long beach - where we go for a lovely walk morning and night - the mexican people are very helpful. ( you can eat in the VM or in any one of many eateries,,,,, same goes for those great messages - which I highly recommend!) We travel with SunWing and therefor get our flight and hotel in one pkt. Indeed the addition of 'free' alcohol is of no value and I'm a 2 drink maximum per day (if that) - I do love the nice cold water that is available though.... We'll be back! - oh - great pools, ocean is just a few steps off the grounds.... love the sun, water and great people!

Room Tip: all the rooms are very comfortable - but not 'fancy' - paying 'extra' will get you an ocean view - the beds are firm but comfortable.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank Cheryl T
Reviewed 17 January 2018

The good points:

LOCATION! I simply can not imagine a better location for those wanting the quieter La Ropa area. VM is toward the north end of the beach and about as close to said beach as you can possibly be! You can go from neck-deep in the ocean to your room in about two minutes! 5 minute walk to the snorkeling/swimming area at the north end (I dubbed pelican rock...) of the beach. 15 minute walk (or less) to the south end of the beach; about fifteen more minutes to hike all the way to Las Gatas (which, is an enjoyable jaunt!).

THE STAFF: An almost 100% perfect score on friendliness.

VALUE: In spite of their recent move to a quasi-AI (All Inclusive) and even if you don't consume copious amounts of alcohol, I think VM is a good value. There were enough items on their breakfast menu (that was/is included in the new AI rate) to not get 'bored' in a week's time.

The not so good points:

CONCRETE BEDS: I think I understand the construction/conditions dilemma of the area and why concrete is used for just about everything, including the beds. If they put a better grade mattress on those hard slabs, sleeping comfort might be tolerable for those folks that don't care for "firm" (like me, and my wife...). Lumped in this category, I'd also mention overall quality of the rooms and resort in general - there was nothing really glaringly bad, but there are a lot of nicks - shall I say. Again, most all is very passable and I know they work very hard (yada, yada...), but this is mid-range at best. As I stated above - I think it is a good value.

AI : This covers a range of 'stuff' for me... Not only do I try not to stay at AI's, I don't care for the whole concept and the kind of conditions I think it tends to foster or create. I don't drink alcohol at all (my wife barely imbibes...) - so - not much "value" there for us. The alcohol selection included in their AI offering is pretty limited and not higher end booze/beer (understatement...). If you understand this and have the right expectation, then fine. One observation I would offer the boozers - be prepared to play another AI game. The one party pack that was there when we first arrived (they left after 3 days and in retrospect weren't really that loud or obnoxious...) seemed to have great success getting their massive orders promptly filled. I also observed them tipping $500 pesos (that's about $25 USD) more than once. The staff, whom, again, are very friendly, are very much on "island" time (or whatever you call it in Mexico...).
If you go up to the bar to try and move things along, you will quite often be told, very nicely, "Oh, I will bring that right out to you!" - 30 minutes or so later, if at all, here's your coke... Just sayin'... My all-time favorite AI game - the " chair " game. I have done battle with the best, around the globe, but the conditions here were formidable! Hopefully my picture gets uploaded alright - 0630 (that's AM) and almost every single chair is "reserved". In addition to the AI mentality, I think there's the "there are no stinkin' rules!" affect here. This is THE reason we would not come back to VM. The chair game was in full effect EVERY single day...

In the end, and it may not sound like it with my sarcasm, we really enjoyed our stay at VM and Zihua; I think we were very lucky to have found anything in the area on such relatively short notice (didn't really look/book until Nov 2017 for mid-Jan 2018). Depending on what someone was looking for, I'd certainly recommend both Zihua and/or VM for a holiday.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bohemianparrothead
Reviewed 16 January 2018

We have been to Villa Mexicana many times and really loved it. Was preparing to make reservations for this year (13 family members) and discovered that the hotel has become non-smoking. Since we do have a couple of family members that smoke, this will no longer be our destination. Too bad, we really liked it there.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank DWilder810
Reviewed 12 January 2018

I thought we were making a reservation through the hotel on their website with a one night cancellation fee. We pre-paid for our whole stay and then had to cancel. Turns out the reservation was made through an agency and they said ZERO refund. We never made it to the hotel so can not rate it.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple