All reviews sunset bar on la ropa beach private section of the beach ceiling fan infinity pool the hotel's restaurant filtered water mexican holiday quaint hotel great beach worked great zihuatanejo bay senor frogs cab ride hammocks mexico telephone
Reviewed 9 April 2018

If you are looking for a 4 star super elegant resort, this is not the spot. If you are looking for a wonderful taste of what Mexico used to be, this IS the spot.

Starting off with a stunning location on one of the best beaches in the world, this quaint hotel was the first on La Ropa, and is my favorite. My Mother and Step-Father came here way back in the day when it was the hideaway for the stars. John Wayne, Liz Taylor, Gorge Hamilton, Mick Jagger, all found solace in this unique property.

Today, much has been updated, without losing the charming history. The infinity pool is refreshing, and the restaurant serves fresh traditional dishes. Sunsets over La Ropa are stunning. And being a short hike, or quick taxi from town make it's location perfect.

The rooms are comfortable and clean--not the most modern, but again, that is not this place's goal. The staff is super friendly, and will go out of the way to make your stay enjoyable.

This last visit we used a great travel agent, Charlie O'Connor (charlie@slogull.com), and he hooked us up with a special rate that included a wonderful breakfast each morning.

A couple of notes--
1. The hotel is located on the side of the hill above the beach. Said hill has a lot of uneven stairs. So be ready to climb them! Look at it this way, you will work off all that vacation food and drink going up and down those steps!
2. Zihuatanejo is a popular attraction for Mexico City's residents. We were last here on a busy Mexican Holiday (Benito Juarez's birthday) and the beach was PACKED! Check the calendar before you book.
3. Plan at least one sunset meal for Tentaciones Restaurant. The meal we had there was one of the finest I've ever had, and the service and view are spectacular.
Bottom line, if you want a big fancy hotel and a Senor Frogs, head to Ixtapa. If you want a relaxing get away, Old Mexico style, email Charlie and book a stay at the Catalina Beach Resort!

Stayed: May 2017
3  Thank Tim T
Reviewed 15 March 2018

This is a place that is under rated. We stayed here with our two sons 9 year old and 7 year old with Down syndrome. They loved exploring, eating at the beach, playing in the pool, playing at the beach. This is by far the best location on La Ropa. Our room #20 was mid way up the hill, close to the pool, beach and not that far from bar and restaurant. The staff is friendly, our room was very nice and clean. My boys loved the hammock. We did use the ac as we didn't figure out the ceiling fan (its a button near the light out lit) until a few days in. Most of our meals were taken at the hotel and a few dinners at the hotel bar with an outstanding view. The comments on the stairs worried me, we had stayed here about 10 years ago without kids. They were not a problem and I actually felt like I could enjoy all the beer, salsa, guac and chips I wanted. The fajitas were fantastic! We did use the filtered water and ice. This may not be a place for everyone, however, it is unique and the views and experience would be those you would find in Europe for less $$.

Stayed: March 2018
Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

I would not recommend anybody to ever evr stay here.. hard beds tv didnt work safe no work bar closes at 10 pm . Only 1 dirty staibed up tiwel in bathroom. Overpriced .. veryverybad place.. id rather sleep inna tent

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2018

My wife and I stayed here for 7 nights around new years. It is a great hotel. It was very busy as is to be expected during this time of the year. Clean rooms and the staff were very helpful. Awesome ocean view from the room. Lots of stairs to climb from the room to the beach. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FairbanksWanderer
Reviewed 13 December 2017

We have stayed many times at Catalina and were there in Nov 2017. The staff are gracious and any questions or requests are quickly addressed. We booked a Playa Suite room that is close to the beach, has AC and was recently remodeled. Will return again. We appreciate the classic charm of the Catalina, along with the availability of a range of rooms and rates; we have stayed in several different room types and were always satisfied with rooms and service.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple