“Great Staff” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #30 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Calgary, Canada
“Great Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

We recently spent 2 weeks at Canto Del Sol and had another great experience. This was our 2nd trip to Canto and we really like it there. The staff at this resort are outstanding! Many remembered us from our 1st visit and made us feel very welcome.

The rooms are clean and functional. The bed was comfortable and we had no issues with the A/C. The maids did a great job every day!

Overall, the food was very good at all the venues. Special thanks to Victor at the buffet who always made us laugh. Jorge at the pool is exceptional. He never writes anything down, but always gets it right. I usually try different drinks throughout the day, so he has to be sharp.

This resort is not a five star and the activities are limited. But that is just fine for us. We wanted to come and relax in the sun and that's what we got. all the while the staff is committed to making your stay as comfortable as possible.

Only bad thing is the MUSIC at the pool. Very loud at times and very repetitive. Get ready for "Sexy and i know it" every hour! Not very suitable when the vast majority of guests appear to be over 45 years old. At no time during the 2 weeks did i get to say "I really like the song they are playing now." This would be very easy to fix if the people playing the music listened to something other than dance music. I had my IPod, but sometimes the music was so loud, I couldn't even hear it.

Overall though, I really like going to this resort. If I can continue getting a great price, I will continue to come back!

Still

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank luvtogotomexico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Czech first
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

I recently stayed at the Canto Del Sol for a week. The first thing that surprised me was the ~55 yr old lady with the raspy voice at the secondary reception desk who tried very hard upon my arrival to wrangle me into the time share trap. I didn’t expect this from a hotel staff member! She attempted to bribe me with a “special offer” of a free excursion trip if I bought two, which is the tour company’s standard offering anyways. Pfft.

The hotel is kept clean, and the food was ok, and the staff friendly. There was one night that the Bingo event (which took place near the undercover/reception area) went on with unreasonable noise until late. Some people like to sleep! And of course it never ceases to amaze me that there’s always some inconsiderate imbecile who doesn’t know that yelling at the top of their lungs while coming in at 3:00 am just might disturb everybody else who’s trying to sleep. Morons. Perhaps the main desk should make this “quiet” policy known to all who visit.

My biggest beef was with the dreadful music played around the pool during the day. I noted fairly quickly that it was all North American, and either abrasive hard anger rock, or techno pop. No Mexican music, no Salsa, no merengue, or anything that might suggest that one is actually away from home, and in Mexico. No jazz, no eclectic mix of world music……no, just the same old crap that one hears at home designed for the knuckle-draggers. When I inquired near the bar (where the music is controlled) if they might have some other music to play, they dug down and pulled out two CDs – “Rock” and “Techno”, and said: “This is all we have.” I was astounded that out of all the committees, planning, managers, etc that goes into the operations of a resort, they would completely overlook this one critical component which can and DOES really set the tone for the overall ambiance of a place. Instead of feeling like I was in a tropical oasis, I felt like I was at WalMart.

They should also make the entire pool area non-smoking. One day I was reclining in one of the deck chairs, when a trailer-trash couple planted themselves down right in front of me (and others) and proceeded to inhale cigarettes and beer like it was a contest. You’d have to be brain-dead to not be aware of the gentle breeze coming in off the water, carrying your disgusting toxins to others who may not want to join you in your inevitable premature death from cancer. After cigarette number three, I up and left. Why is it that many (if not most) smokers have “inconsiderate” down to an art form?

It was nice that they provided free internet service with 3 laptops, but unfortunately these laptops were a disaster. Not only did they have bazar, unfamiliar keyboards, but numerous keys were completely worn off. The worst part though was the painful lack of a mouse, instead having to use those maddening finger/scroll pad thingies on the laptop. Aaaaaaaggggghhhh!!! The computers only worked (connection issues) sometimes, and by the end of the week, there was only one working. You’d think that with the truckloads of money being made by this hotel on a daily basis, they could spring for some proper computers.

I had never been to PV before and was surprised that the area of the main drag where this hotel is located was as inviting as war-torn Beirut. There’s nothing to do or see on the main drag area, it’s dreadful. You need to go down to the Malecon area or elsewhere to do any enjoyable walking around.

The three excursion tours I did with Vallarta Adventures were pretty good and the guides great, although most included way too much driving in those harsh WWII trucks. The roads in PV are very poor; it’s as though the road makers get fined if they make a road smooth.

If your idea of a vacation is just laying around the pool and drinking, this place will suite you well.

I had never been to PV before, and don’t think I would return.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Olivianus
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We decided to buy an all inclusive deal to Peurto Vallarta and stay at Canto Del Sol. When we arrived at the airport our tour guide was there to greet us and get us a taxi to our hotel. Canto Del Sol was probably about 10-15 minutes ride from the airport. The resort is beautiful, clean and very friendly staff. We were checked into our room that had a nice view of the pool and partial view of the ocean. The rooms dont have carpet which is great because carpets tend to smell. The staff is very helpful and will help you with a smile. It is not that far from downtown either you can talk a taxi or even walk their. Of the three restaurants that the resort has, the grill was my absolute favourite. Food at the buffet is your average resort food so dont expect much. Overall, nice clean rooms, beautiful view and friendly staff. It was a good experience.

Room Tip: If you dont get the poolside view, just go to the front desk in the morning and ask to change it and...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rayna_12
Fort McMurray, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

The trip has costed us only $650/week and the price of this was by all means worth the stay. Staff was very friendly compare to the outside of the resort. Food was very good but there weren't too many sections of the fish to chose from considering the fact that you are somewhere south. Our room was nothing special but that's no shock due to the price we have paid. Two things that we really didn't like on this trip was the Beach and the music. Beach was very short, large waves and the water was not clear. Music was just down boring. Same CD was being played for all 7 days of our stay. Entertainment was decent but overall stay was excellent. Do not fall into traps of purchasing trips without asking everything that is offered on the picture. I would recommend this trip to anybody only for a good price.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nemanja m
Vancouver, British Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

We got a wicked last minute deal from Air Canada Vacations and had a fabulous week at this resort. As always, you get what you pay for so, we weren't expecting much and were pleasantly surprised!
Resort: was extremely clean and staff was so friendly, best service we've we've had, and we've stayed at many places with higher star ratings. I read someone complaining about the staff not being able to speak English.....what? Imagine they travelled to your city and complained you couldn't speak Spanish? I just shake my head. Can't say enough about the staff!
Location: 5-10 minute bus ride to airport or the Malecon (boardwalk). Going to miss those NASCAR-like bus rides!
Food: was fine. Breakfast French Toast at the beach restaurant was all 4 of our favorites. We voted the Italian a la carte for best dinner. We ate dinner in town at Pipis one night, really
great.
Pool: warm, no worries getting chairs and the chairs were pretty comfortable.
Room: was clean, had a kitchenette and a fridge, bed was comfy enough.

Only downside was it's all rooms in two buildings so it's very loud. We left our a/c on all night and it really helped drown out the sound but 4 of 7 night we were woken by drunk [--] without room keys kicking on doors where they're drunk [--] friends were passed out. Bring ear plugs! Thankfully we left just as more Spring Breakers rolled in! Security was great about making sure no one got too out of hand.

If you get a good price, this place is a fabulous place to get a tan!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends