“Lovely rooms- great people”

Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Lovely rooms- great people”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

Easy to get to from the airport- 195 pesos- All rooms are ocean front and the staff are wonderful. The 1 bed room suite was large- huge balcony, a King bed that was comfortable that slept the 2 of us plus a child (who came in every pm!!). The bathroom consisted of a separate toilet x2, a separate shower, and a jacuzzi bath (low flow though!!). Kitchen had a fridge/freezer, electric hob, and microwave (I think it had an oven part to it- but not sure!!). There was no dishwasher nor a washer/dryer (on ground floor for 50 peso a wash and 50 for dryer=$10). TV was fine and they had DVD's to give out for no cost- we watched Sherlock Holmes and Despicable Me). Tennis court was fine as well.
Outside the pool was great, heated, large and fun!! Also the ping-pong table was fun with a 10 yr old!! The beach was yards away only.
There was a great supermarket 10 mins away (turn right at the end of the road).
The only thing I may have done differently is to buy up to the all-inclusive- the food was really top-class and beautifully presented and the drinks were all premium and not the cheap plonk present at the other all-inclusives in PV (e.g Krystal and Melia).- Enjoy as we will be back again!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Duddoo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (681)
  • Polish first
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

We stayed a week in Feb. 2012, was VERY noisy and service was lousy! Food was lousy. They expect you to pay extra for everything! I invited our dive master from our SCUBA trips into our beach area to buy him a beer, and the staff actually came up to me and said he can't go into my room (I wasn't taking him into my room, but it IS my room if I want a guest!) and said he can't go into the pool! We were just having a beer! Service sucked! Always out of towels in pool area. Would stay elsewhere next time!

2 Thank Nancy I
Cambridge, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

I can't recall a room I have loved more than our 11th floor suite at the Sunset Plaza. I agree with all of the positive recent reviews about the superb service, the excellent food (though I agree that the Italian restaurant is still a work in progress in terms of food quality), and the other amenities. You do have to get up pretty early to reserve a place at the adult pool, but there are plenty of other places to hang out. One thing I especially loved about the place was how friendly the staff and the fellow guests were. I often find that kids can pose a challenge to relaxing, but all of the kids we saw there were very well behaved. Going to sleep at night with the sound of crashing waves after watching spectacular sunsets was a wonderful experience. I highly recommend this place and its all-inclusive package -- a great deal.

2 Thank Pinoylover
Redwood City, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Just returned from 5 days at Sunset Plaza. First, the positives: This is a small, approximately 100 room “boutique style” all inclusive hotel. All rooms face the ocean and overlook the small-scale, but well appointed grounds with 2 restaurants, 2 pools and a Jacuzzi deck area for adults. Rooms, food, pools and service were above average to very good. Unfortunately, there is a fatal flaw that will keep me from returning or recommending Sunset Plaza to others unless they change their policy. Upon check-in we were given a letter informing us of the following: “On Feb 17, there will be a wedding reception at the adult pool and this area will be closed starting at 4:00 pm. On Feb 18, the entire Jacuzzi deck area and all 3 Jacuzzis will be closed the whole day due to set up and a wedding celebration that will take place from 7:00 pm – 1:00 am. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you”. This was annoying, since one of the reasons we chose to stay here were those “adult” amenities. I try to “go with the flow”, and it was not a deal-breaker, so I let it go. Unfortunately, there were far more serious problems associated with these events that management obviously knew about, but failed to disclose to us: On Feb 18, only one of the two restaurants was open for dinner service since the other was preparing food for the “wedding celebration”. And starting at 10:00 pm, part of the “celebration” included an outdoor disco that played extremely loud, thumping techno music – until 1:00 am! Many guests had to eat off property that night as wait times in the one restaurant remaining open were very long. The worst was the “techno music” disco. It was set up outdoors on the Jacuzzi deck which is approximately 2 stories high and just yards away from most rooms. We were staying on the 4th floor, and even with all doors/windows closed it was so loud the furniture in our room was practically vibrating. Many guests, including ourselves, complained to the front desk since no one could sleep through that racket. We were told there was nothing they could do because the wedding party had a contract stating they could play music until 1:00 am. Unbelievable! Not only were we denied access to facilities/amenities that we had paid for, we were forced to stay awake until 1:30 – 2:00 am. I felt especially bad for the families who were traveling with small children, they were tearing their hair out. The situation was deceptive and just plain bad policy. Buyer beware! This hotel is small and does not have dedicated facilities, banquet rooms, etc… for weddings and other celebrations. In order to host these events, they close down areas of the hotel that regular guests have paid for and should have access to. You may also be subject to extremely loud disco music until 1:00 am.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
16 Thank kimchi213
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

I highly recommend this resort to future PV travelers. My hubby and I LOVEed the one bedroom suites. It has two bathrooms, full kitchen and a in-room Jacuzzi. I've stayed in many 4-5 star hotels and I have to say Sunset 's suit is the best i've seen so far.

The only complaint I have are the food and services. I stayed in Velas Vallarta in PV before I stayed in Sunset. In comparison, the food choices in Sunset are very limited and seems most servers are either new or they dont seem to speak English very well. The service was sometimes extremely slow. There were times that I order a cup of coffee and it'd take them a good 15 mins just to get my coffee in front of me. Sometimes we sat there forever before any server came to us or bring us a menu. They weren't busy either. I saw them just chatting to each other or walking slowly doing nothing all the time. When we laying on the sun beds there were never any servers came by to ask us if we need drinks or snacks and this was exactly the opposite in Velas. Tipping them a few times did help a bit though.

My husband had stomachache for 2 days after having our first dinner at Sunset. I was fine but I think Sunset's food are not very clean. The whole restaurant is outdoor and they also cook the food outdoor. The flies were uncontrollable and all over the place. They flew around and landed on everything. I think they should have the kitchen moved to indoor at least.

There was also one Saturday night where they hosted a wedding. They were blasting music downstairs until 1am. We were staying on the 9th floor and it was as clear as if I was in the party. When I called to complain the noise, the service desk told me they have already got many many complains. I understand that whoever is having the wedding should have a good time but the management should've handled it more properly. They should have a plan to control the noise and not to disturb the rest of the guests till 1am.

I suggest future travelers to stay in Sunset but not to add the all inclusive package. I highly recommend to eat somewhere else or even buy groceries and cook them in the kitchen. Another tip is to at least stay in a one bedroom suites. Do not stay in their deluxe rooms. I've seen one and it's not half as big as the one bedroom suite but not much cheaper.

1 Thank 3Monica_T