“Skip this hotel”

Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #46 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 9 March 2013

After extensively reviewing this resort I booked my family of 4 in for 10 days. Many reviews warned of the poor food but we thought maybe these were just "picky eaters". We were wrong and the previous reviewers were correct. It's not a matter of being picky and not liking what they served, it was that their food and their food handling is of very poor quality. We phoned our travel company and asked to be moved to another resort after our 4yr old and 6 yr old both ended up in the San Javier Marina hospital with a diagnosis of an "intestinal virus" most likely caused by food poisoning (Dr's words, not mine. However I agree whole heartedly). My 4 yr old couldn't even keep down water she was so sick.

When I booked I didn't expect 5 star or even 4 star food at this resort. I did however expect to be able to serve food to my kids that was edible. We were continuously served raw hamburgers at the snack bar and when I asked the staff to cook them longer they either didn't understand what I was saying (somewhat understandable) or they didn't care. At one point I put the patties back on the grill myself and the staff just picked them up right away and gave them to the next person in line. Disgusting!

Even worse is how the plastic cups at the bars are cleaned...by being rinsed in tap water and then dunked in tub of some sort of water/cleaning solution. No soap, no scrubbing, no hot water. Their standards of cleanliness are as poor as their food handling standards.

Our room appeared to be clean but I discovered tiny little ants in our bathroom crawling along the mirror. I didn't think too much of it at first. But when I went to give my daughters their fever medicine there was a swarm of ants all along the side of the bottle and the inside of the box. What started as 2 or 3 ants had quickly turned into about 20 to 30 all over the medicine I needed to administer orally to a 4 and 6 yr old.

The A/C worked in our first floor room ran on either high or off. We were either sweltering or freezing. There was no happy medium.

The grounds of the resort are very well kept but there were a lot of stray animals roaming. We saw 2 different cats and a small dog wandered onto the property from off the beach.

There are very few good things to say about this resort. The pool was warm and the waterpark was hit with our kids but they didn't get to use them that much because they were so sick. We didn't use the kids club so I can't comment on it but it didn't look like much more than a colouring station.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jo B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,737)

Reviewed 9 March 2013

Our family (wife and I along with three girls- 2,4,9) had a great experience at this resort. An average day went like this- morning breakfast at the buffet (homemade omelettes, plenty of local options, pancakes, french toast, fresh fruit- all very, very good- staff extremely helpful, kind, and all spoke English), play time at the waterpark (my daughters do not speak spanish yet our 4 year old found playmates that played for hours- they spoke spanish, she spoke english, yet somehow it worked) and beach (not great for swimming but awesome for wave jumping), lunch at the fast buffet (not the inside buffet but the beachfront food court- get the hamburgers- grilled fresh in front of you and delicious), play at the pool and beach (again, easy for the kids to find friends- plenty of English speaking Canadians and Americans, plus locals), then get ready for dinner. Both the Italian and Japenses restaurants were great. Evening ended with the kids playing in the sand while we sipped cocktails. At nine a family friedly show takes place- either a dance, karaoke, or one night was a fantastic disney dance show. Plenty of people enjoy the shows and they do activities to get the kids involved. Our 4 and 9 year old were on the stage every night. Even dad made it one night- sadly losing a Mexican hat dance to a local (unfair!)
The bars have a great selection- no worries.
Would be five but the condition of the rooms is a bit dated, not uncomfortable but some minor maintenance issues.
Taxi to the malecon is inexpensive- a must do. Family loved it. Great trip and highly recommend it to those with kids.

5  Thank wisctravfamily
Reviewed 8 March 2013

My 4 year old son uttered the words "this isn't paradise!" and he was correct.
Our room was flooded by a burst pipe- 3 inches deep and a manager offered us a "street view" room. My husband said NO and she said she couldn't get us a room til 3pm that day. A BELLMAN offered us a beach view room right away!
One of the maids THREW OUT my son's favourite toy. Yes- it did look like a pile of strings (it was once a knitted cat) but it was on top of another stuffed animal. No one would look for it and no one cared. This is supposed to be a family oriented resort?
I had to force the kids centre to take my son in the older kids area. He was a few weeks away from being 5, the age which they can go there. I could have lied and told them he was already 5 but I was honest. He didn't want to play with babies! No reall activities were planned for them either.

Room Tip: Don't go there! No quiet rooms.
Reviewed 7 March 2013

The first day of our trip was not to bad but the second day started it all!! I ended up getting so sick cause of our room....don't know if it was mold or what but could not breath and ended up puking most of the night!! I am allergic to mold, so not fun! The staff did move us the next day, which was so nice of them!!
Front staff is so kind, but the night staff at the Tiki Bar was not nice at all!!! Very rude!
The food was not good at all, you would think that you would gain weight on vacation, but we lost cause the food was awful!!
Rooms were dated, but that is to be expected!
Our maid for our room was the best, very kind and always a smile on her face!! Such a sweet lady!!

If you want a happy vacation, think else were!! There was 11 of us and not all of us were happy with this resort!!
I'm sorry to say this but want to be honest!!

Room Tip: Upgrade big time!!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
CROWNPARADISEPVR, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

Dear Christina K,

Thank you for taken the time and share your comments. It was with much concern that we read about the inconveniences during your stay. We want to offer you our sincere apology for the problems that you had at our facilities.
We hope you can to give us a second opportunity to show you our service.

Best regards
Mariana Malpica
Public Relations

Reviewed 5 March 2013

This all-inclusive is not a 4.5 star hotel as it is rated. Wieners were part of the buffet for every meal. And the lunch meal, was mostly deep fried food. The main buffet did not open until 1pm for a full meal at noon. The location is the best part of this hotel, it is on the beach. But then the view and peace and quiet was ruined by pedlars who were continually harassing you to buy there goods. Finally someone must have complained and the hotel management put a rope across the beach to prevent the sellers from coming to our beach chairs. I would not recommend this hotel to others, there must be better places to stay in Puerto Vallarta for the same price.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Joni_60,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your experiences. Your comments are most valuable to us and allow us to take the appropriate actions to prevent this type of situations in the future.

About of the food, the main restaurant open again at 1pm, but we offer room service 24 hours and others snacks. We respect your opinion regarding this matter, and we apologize if you don’t enjoy our meals but it´s mostly a very personal point of view.

The management take seriously each comment from our guests for this reason we put a rope on the beach, you had the certainly that this observations already was passed.

Again, thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We hope that you give us the opportunity to show one more time our services.

Best Regards