“Winter Getaway”

Ranked #96 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Toronto, Canada
“Winter Getaway”
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I love the relaxed atmosphere of Puerto Vallarta and my "home away from home" while I'm there has been the San Marino Hotel for the past several years. The staff are helpful and charming and this year, I was touched to be greeted by one of them as I arrived by taxi from the airport. The "Hola", the genuine smile and the warm hug set the tone for a most enjoyable week. At check-in, our Junior Suite was not ready so Isabel, who also remembered us and greeted us as friends, gave us an upgrade to a Master Suite. It was beautifully appointed and very large with a big balcony overlooking the beach. Now for the food...the breakfasts were wonderful and the Omelette Lady has not lost her touch ! The lunches always had items one would expect to enjoy mid-day. The dinners, especially if there was fish on the menu, were for the most part fine. On a couple of occassions, though, there wasn't anything that really turned my crank. These times we went out to one of the many fine restaurants in the area...Fajita Republic with its beer battered shrimp was amazing. I realize that there are travellers whose expectations are sometimes of the charts and that they will not be satisfied with a hotel like the San Marino. To them I say "Stay in Nuevo Vallarta. For me, my refuge at the San Marino in the heart of the charming town is my choice and will continue to be so. Thank you to all the wonderful staff at the hotel for a relaxing week. I'll see you all again next year !!!!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Hotel was only 2.5 - 3 star but rooms were very clean, food was good, staff were friendly. Could use some updating in the rooms, and definitely some new pillows. Beds were on the hard side but okay. I saw foam toppers going into some rooms, so I'm sure the staff is accommodating to those that prefer a little softer sleep. No shampoo/ conditioner supplied so bring your own. Bars of soap and T.P. supply was good. Great location - within easy walking distance to everything. A bit noisy at night time, but it is in the heart of the downtown area, so noise is to be expected. To be noted also, this appears to be the gay area of the city, so anyone with issues with that may want to find a different location to stay. Nice beach right out front where we easily picked a local boat to take us out fishing and snorkeling at a very reasonable rate.The sun wasn't on the beach in our area till about 10 am daily though, as there are hills up behind this area. Had to be early to get lounge chairs some days, which can be disappointing. Pier next to hotel is in the middle of being rebuilt, so ongoing work there until March 31/12 apparently. Our travel company called prior to trip to the tour company to inquire what type of work was being done and the tour company told her it was complete. Not so.... We would definitely go back and stay at the San Marino. It met our needs and we met many repeat customers who are equally happy. Again, the location was great, and we felt very safe there.

Room Tip: street on front of hotel seemed noisier than the back side. We had to change rooms as our original r...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Two years ago I stayed at this location and again, this past week The Oceanfront rooms/suite views were great. The rooms facing the street were very noisy. The housekeeping staff were excellent. That is the extent of the good I found at this location. They almost force you into the all inclusive plans and the food is horrible. Many friends have told me that only the breakfast is worthwhile. Usually I and they go out for lunch and dinner.

The front desk staff in the early - late evenings and the early morning crew truly need additional training in customer service. I needed a taxi at 3am and the porter kept asking me how did I get into the hotel with all my luggage. I've been here a whole week now. Clearly, I had a bracelet for the hotel

There are MANY options for accommodations, while vacationing in this beautiful tranquil town. Don't ruin your vacation with bad food and unfriendly front desk staff.

Room Tip: Think carefully when booking accommodations in PVR.
1 Thank bailey15max
Toronto
Reviewed 2 February 2012

This hotel was not bad but it was not good either. There were 4 guests before us at check in which took over an hour, unacceptable after a long flight. As for the standard room that we booked, although Air Canada advertises it to have a balcony, it does not. It has a walkway accessing all other rooms, kinda motel-type. You have a window and if the drapes are undrawn, everyone walking by can see what you are upto. If privacy is not an issue, then you do get to sit out on the walkway, but it is not like a private balcony.
The dinners at San Marino were extremely disappointing. When we finally got our room after check in it was 5:30 and we were desperate for food. Dinner time is 6:30, so after unpacking and showering, we headed down only to find burnt out shish kebobs, rice and some other things that looked unappealing. Mind you we are not fussy and would eat almost everything given the situation that we were starving, but this was bad - like leftovers reheated several times! So we headed to town, like we did every night after that and found great places to eat traditional dishes. Breakfast at San Marino (8:30 to 11:00) is acceptable, they have the omelet lady, fruit, cereal, bread for you to toast, and some other local dishes. Lunch (12:30-3:00) is better in that they have salad, fish, pork, chicken along with rice and burgers and fries every day, so you will not go hungry. There is one dessert which was never appealing. So we had fruit for breakfast, went out for coffee (coffee at SM was pretty bad) and pastry in town, then salad and a couple beers for lunch when we were not in town and out for dinner. The beer was good but mixed drinks were not even average.
Our maid was Lucy and she was absolutely wonderful, top notch service from her. The maids on other floors were always friendly. The service elsewhere in the hotel was not exceptional, although some waiters were quite friendly.All in all, hotel was okay for the buck we paid, we upgraded to a superior room which was just fine, could not justify paying $50 US per night to upgrade to a Junior suite.- remember to buy a safe lock from reception for $2 US per day. The beds were reasonable, nothing really wrong, no bugs or ants, had our private balcony with a partial view. Security was not tight, we brought friends to our room without questioning, however when we visited them at their hotel, security would not let us in. Very central, across from Oxxo which is our 7-eleven so you can pickup bottled water, ice cream or chips if you like.
Will we return to SM? Not likely unless we get a good deal and the 'all inclusive' is irrelevant. Any questions, please write and I will respond. Hope this was helpful!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AlkToronto
Strathmore
Reviewed 2 February 2012

There were 6 adults (over 40) staying for 2 weeks, and we knew a bit of what to expect before going there. I have to say, after all these years of coming to PV, we'd never stayed in Old Towne, but the location and staff were awesome!! Alex and Emmanuel were great!
We met some amazing people and ate out quite frequently...simply because it was so convenient.
We didn't expect the noise level, but being right between two busy streets, we got used to it. Next year, ocean front over the adult pool, and Tony, we will save your chair! :)

Room Tip: Get an ocean view suite...it will be worth it :)