“BEST RESTAURANT ON STONE ISLAND”

El Velero Restaurant
Ranked #155 of 498 Restaurants in Mazatlan
Reviewed 5 October 2017

This is the best beach restaurant experience you could possibly have .We have been coming to Stone Island for 10 years and this is our choice always for the best food and service .Michael and his staff are sooo friendly ----they make everyone feel welcome and at home .English is spoken well by all staff but they will also help you with your Spanish .If you are coming to Stone Island be sure tO visit El Valero's right on the beach with comfortable beach chairs and/or tables under cover. an experience you will never forget.You cruise shippers don't miss out on this place

Reviewed 14 July 2017

The place is amazing, we stayed here all day. They gave us beach chairs with umbrellas, the service was outstanding, ice cold beer, yummy food and margaritas. The view was incredible the water clear and warm. Thank you so much for making our day one of the best ever.

Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

As we arrived to the Stone Island at 9 am, we decided to walk on the beach and see what's out there. The beach looked deserted and the only person we have met was Alex, the owner of El Velero. He greeted us with a smile and asked how are you today. We replied OK, and asked how is he. He stated "not good, wonderful!". He offered us the lounge chairs and an umbrella , but I said let's keep on walking. We walked for another 5 minutes until we saw a crowd of tourists getting out of the bus. We turned back and my husband said: let's get back to Alex. It's 9 am and his place is the only one that is open. He added: "think about it, he probably stayed late last night working here and he is up before anyone else. He is a hard working man and I think his service will be good. " we spent the entire day at the Alex's place and he treated us as his family. The ceviche was simply amazing! The drinks were great! My margaritas were made with premium tequila and my husband's beer was cold. For the entire day of food and drinks that kept on coming we spent $57. In my opinion it's more than a reasonable price. Plus on top of that Alex is a good people. We chit chatted a bit as much as we could cause his English is limited. He tried to warn me about the waves, that they can be brutal and yesterday a mujera bla bla bla... Shhhh shhh.. I said "sharks?!" He replied "Si sharks". Lol! There are no sharks there. But I got it : yesterday an American woman got hit with the wave and was hurt. So he was worried about me being hurt. Oh yeah, the food was great! The ceviche was amazing. The portion was huge so we could not vinish it. When I took the pictures and a video of Alex advertising his place I asked : Alex, do you know what is Trip Advisor? He said no. So if you don't mind bringing a picture of him to let him know that he is becoming popular, please do it. It will make his day. Enjoy the place, food, drinks, people, the atmosphere and the culture, and have a "not good, but a wonderful" day at El Velero on the Stone Island.

1  Thank Tatiana G
MaikolAGU, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at El Velero Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2017

Hi Tatiana, thank you very much for your opinion, we like to know that our guests have a pleasant stay. Just one clarification: Alex is not the owner, he is the best waiter. The owner is called Miguel and is the one who prepares the zarandeado fish. Have a good day and see you soon

Reviewed 30 March 2017 via mobile

Make sure you check your bill. We had a group of nine and every item had at least a 5 peso charge over the menu price resulting in a $20 over charge. We also took a banana boat ride and he arranged a six person boat for 8 people. He said it would be a longer ride, however it only lasted less than 5 minutes.

MaikolAGU, Gerente at El Velero Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2017

Hello allison, we are very sorry for your inconvenience, 4 weeks ago we updated the prices on our menu. You could have requested a review of the account with the waiter or the manager, there is no problem we work for better each day. About your problem in the banana ride, is an independent activity to us. Again, many of us feel your problem. We invite you to visit us soon and you can change your opinion about us. Many of our customers use tripavisord to check their experience. In your next visit we give you 2 margaritas of your preference (lemon, strawberry, mango) presenting this message.We will wait for you

Reviewed 19 March 2017

We found this place upon Maria's Happy Horses recommendation for a good seafood restaurant on the island. We were not disappointed!!
We dropped our bags at a table under the shade for the whole day. We were not pressured to order drinks or food but we couldn't resist the fresh shrimps or fish!Oh!!! the food!! I had the best shrimps and probably one of the best meal of my life right there on the sand (and I'm from France, country of great food!). Our 4 different plates were amazing, presentation was beautiful and price very cheap. Everything tasted so fresh and home-cooked (great salsa that tasted like homegrown tomatoes and onions).
We stayed the whole day in the shade of the restaurant without being hassled in having to buy more drinks or food. This place was totally friendly and very low-key with lots of locals. A piece of paradise, right there!