Villas El Rancho Green Resort
US$543
US$168
Bookit.com
Savings alert! 35% below average rates

The price you found is 35% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$257/night.

Ramada Resort Mazatlan(Mazatlan)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$105
Royal Villas Resort(Mazatlan)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$89
Savings alert! 26% below average rates

The price you found is 26% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$120/night.

Best Western Posada Freeman(Mazatlan)(Great Value!)
US$119
US$103
Luna Palace Hotel & Suites(Mazatlan)(Great Value!)
US$172
US$127
El Cid Marina Beach Hotel(Mazatlan)(Great Value!)
US$265
US$210
Bookit.com
US$119
US$180
Travelocity
El Cid Granada Country Club(Mazatlan)(Great Value!)
US$234
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewsupstairs master bedrooma great vacationoceanmexicoresortjacuzzijosepoolsideel
Reviewed 4 February 2012

We visited Mazatlan in January 2012 and stayed at the Villas El Rancho much to our delight. It is a small cozy resort with individual villas, so you don't have to worry about people hearing your conversations through the walls like in highrise hotels! Like any other good resort or hotel, we were not the only guests there, so one night we were able to hear a few other guests having fun and enjoying themselves on the beach but they were not totally out of control and they did quiet down after a bit. Overall it is a very relaxing and laid back place. Our villa was very clean and bright with an "Old Mexico" flavor in the decorating. One whole wall is glass so you have an amazing view of the ocean, we even saw several dolphins one day! The food was great and the staff very friendly and efficient. Totally recommend to anyone looking to relax and kick back!

Room Tip: Ocean units are right on the beach with glass facing the water for a sunset view.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 February 2012

We had a wonderful holiday at El Rancho. This was our 2nd stay in 3 years and I wouldn't hesitate to go again. There were 7 of us ranging in age from 17 to 75 years and we felt safe the entire time. The villa we stayed in was lovely, comfortable and clean. The staff were friendly and very helpful and did not hesitate to help us with anything.
El Rancho is a peaceful bit of paradise located outside the Golden Zone which is only a short bus trip away.

Room Tip: We stayed seadside which costs a little more but poolside villas also look very nice.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Where to begin?? ….. I travel extensively on timeshare exchanges and this was my worst resort stay ever! So bad, that I wanted to cut my vacation short and get the heck out of there! It definitely is not the quality of others within the Interval International system and definitely not what I expected. Basically it is a hostel in a tropical setting on a great stretch of Cerritos Beach with fabulous sunsets. I felt so uncomfortable in my unit that I never even unpacked my suitcases during my one-week stay.

The units are 25+ years old and inside they look it - the counter tops, tile, furniture, lamps and fixtures are all very dated. The units are dark, stuffy and smelly. The remodeling they brag about is basically putting newer appliances in each unit. The modern high-rises surrounding not only block the afternoon sun, they make you wish you were staying in one of them. The resort is small, which is fine, but there is absolutely nothing to do onsite – no activities at all - just the small restaurant and palapa bar, which was usually unattended except for the ever-present timeshare salesman sitting there. Granted I was traveling solo, but I have no problems joining in with others socially.

The only items in the bathroom were a bar of soap, two towels and a bath mat (no washcloths, no toiletries, no hair-drier, nothing). The shower head was rusted and corroded, and the water came out brown for the first minute. There were lots of dead bugs visible in the bathroom light fixtures, the skylights were disgusting and you could see daylight around the vents, A dead spider on the shower floor in the 2nd bathroom stayed there my whole stay – even though the maids “cleaned” every day.

In the kitchen there was a daily parade of ants on the counter (they said they don’t use pesticides inside but would spray outside??). Utensils were rusted (can opener, veg peeler, corkscrew) as was the rack holding the “purified” water jug. Kitchen walls, light switches, exposed oven fan were all very gross and grimy. I had to request a microwave to be put in my unit. Wine glasses/corkscrews must be special at this resort because I was told they couldn’t give me any for my room?? (The timeshare salesman arranged for them to be sent to me.)

When I asked if I could move to an ocean-front room that was unoccupied, I was told by the timeshare salesman it might be arranged if I purchased. I looked at it, and it was no different than my unit other than it was hotter from the afternoon sun – but you could hear the waves. It is hard to avoid the timeshare guys – they are basically hanging around onsite all day – and this is a very small resort so you have nowhere to go to get away from them. I was approached to purchase four straight days in a row – each day a different “deal” – really, have you looked at what you're trying to sell? The beach vendors are allowed on the property so there is the constant parade of interruptions when you are trying to relax. The pool is not chlorinated or heated, had a film floating on the top and is shaded mid-day, so it is way too cold at this time of the year.

One thing that did help get me through …… Winston makes fabulous margaritas at the bar and they are very inexpensive!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
9  Thank jtay58
Reviewed 30 January 2012

This used to be a quiet beautiful place that you could depend on......alas no more. It is badly in need of repairs. Biggest problem now is the on site manager. We were there this past month and during our stay he rented out half of the entire place to a bus load of sixty young adults and gave them free rein of the place. They were blasting their music until 4am each day and refused to turn it down. Even though about ten of us complained to the manager he just laughed and said they were having fun. The front desk was exasperated but said the group was friends of the manager so nothing could be done. Hopefully the owner will take a interest and realize how bad this manager is. Also the pool is not heated as promised and was freezing cold, the wi-fi around the pool was not working, the cable TV has only three american stations now and pretty much every promise and expected upgrade to the property has never been done......very disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 22savytraveler
ElRanchoMzt, Guest Relations Manager at Villas El Rancho Green Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2012

Dear 22SavvyTraveler,

Thank you for sharing your experiences. We sincerely apologize, because as you say the manager did not act at all according to El Rancho policy. At El Rancho, our primary goal is to provide you with a relaxing and peaceful vacation, and the manager did not enforce that. He has been severely reprimanded, and we would like to offer you free nights on a future vacation with us in order to make up for the part of your vacation that was affected by the group of young adults. Please contact the reservations office. Also, we would like to make clear that even if a manager is doing something that is contrary to the spirit of El Rancho, you can request that the staff contact the owner in order for the situation to be dealt with.

We promise that we will always preserve El Rancho as the place where you can enjoy true relaxation and a peaceful vacation, and we look forward to seeing you many times in the future.

Larry Flathmann
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 29 January 2012

We stayed at the Villas El Rancho from January 18 - 23, 2012 and we were not at all happy with this hotel. We were scheduled to stay for 10 days but gladly left early and moved to the Golden Zone.

This place is 25 years old and in dire need of a total facelift. Our unit was very musty, smelly and dirty. The kitchen was disgusting with a fridge that was totally rusted out both inside and out. The bathroom had rust and mold everywhere. The towels are all grey and stained. It is very humid at this location due to all the vegetation and the bed sheets, towels and even your clothes are always damp.

This is a timeshare property mainly and you will be bugged from when you check in and daily by the four timeshare reps that work there. Be prepared.

It is very quiet with absolutely nothing going on. The two adjoining high rises block the sun around noon so the pool area is shaded. The pool is not heated and the hot tub is lukewarm and the hot tub at the beach has no water in it. Once it's dark the place is deserted and the lights are off around 9:00 pm. It is very far from downtown although bus service is good right out the door.

The restaurant has good meals with good service. The office staff and manager are wonderful and provide excellent service but they are very limited to what they can do In a very aging property that seems to only want to sell timeshares.

In closing I would like to say that the manager did everything he could do to get us to stay but once we were firm on telling him that we wanted to leave he was very accommodating. Too bad he has to deal with the complaints resulting from such a run down place that simply needs a total overhaul.....top to bottom.

Room Tip: You need to be in a poolside unit to be able to get Internet reception.......which is intermittent
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank aliceb5

Dear Aliceb5,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us.

We do admit that there is a lot of humidity - we are directly on the beach, after all, and our villas are at ground level and open directly on the lush tropical gardens. In all honesty, clothes and linens may be a little damp, but we've never had guests complain about it. Of course, some people prefer to be in a sterile tower, not actually close to nature, and so they don't value what El Rancho offers.

We are serious about offering a peaceful and relaxing environment for your vacation. That does mean that we don't encourage a lot of "night life" (although all of the Golden Zone's attractions are only 10 minutes away). It also means that we don't want you to feel pestered, and we apologize if you felt bothered by the timeshare representatives. Unfortunately, the timeshare culture in Mazatlan is something we have to fight against, but we will continue to instruct our representatives to respect the peace of our guests.

We're glad that you appreciated our restaurant, and we're sorry that the beachfront hot tub was under repair while you visited.

Larry Flathmann