“Mazatlan is great...and safe”

Luna Palace Hotel / Suites
Ranked #15 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Two great weeks in warm and sunny Mazatlan on the beach in a lovely condo with balcony overlooking beach and pool. Service is tops: personal, efficient, caring. Place is immaculate,grounds are lovely, restaurant fine with ocean view and wifi. No music or water aerobics means a peaceful adult vacation. We're really unhappy about all the negative press Mazatlan is getting for safety. The crime (we never saw any, even walking the streets after dark) is all drug dealers killing off the competition. They leave the tourists alone. I've never felt safer anywhere in the US.

Room Tip: heavy smokers on neighboring balcony. After 2 days of avoiding them, I asked for a different room...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pookitaAjijic

Reviewed 28 January 2012

I was very happy with our stay at Luna Palace with one major exception which I will rant about later. First the good news. The beds were super comfortable!!! I have a really hard time sleeping soundly in hotels and I don't know why. These beds were really comfortable and I didn't have as hard as a time as I do in other places. The rooms were nice and included a kitchenette. All the rooms are supposed to have a view of the ocean. The desk staff was nice and we spent just about every evening by the pool watching the sun set over the ocean.

The bad: the ladies at the "tourism desk". These women were atrocious! Long story short: They harrass you into trying to book tours through them. They went as far as to lie to us about attractions near by and literally yelled/scolded us when we showed up wearing stickers from a zipling company that wasn't the one they were promoting. I understand that selling tours is a way that many make a living, but I felt like I was being assaulted every time I came or went from my room, They're positioned right next to the only elevator in the hotel. They even got mad at us for booking all of tours online in advance. When we had a problem with one of our prebooked tours, they refused to let us use their phone and told us that's what we deserve for booking with something else.

Overall, the hotel and room was great with the exception of the rotten "tourist desk".

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank reinoko
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Only good things to say about our annual trip to Mazatlan. The Luna and the Oceano Palace Hotels are sisters. We've stayed at both. Love the Luna for the staff, restaurant, peacefulness, pool, security, view, and location.

Room Tip: Every room has an ocean view, we prefer balconies that also include the pool and restaurant view so...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marsha S
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Luna Palace is a great place if you want a small suite hotel without all the screaming kids. All rooms are suites with kitchens and all have balconys that have both pool view and ocean view. It was partially remodeled several years ago and beds are comfortable. Prices per night or by the week e reasonable. We have stayed there 5 or 6 times and like it. They have numerous activities and a great beach. The pool lounge chairs were new a couple years ago. There is a resturant on premises for all 3 meals and also a very very nice Italian resturant just next door in the Pueblo Bonito. Also, is a great beach side resturant.

Room Tip: If you require a larger suite with sleeping arangements for 4 to 6 ask for one of the suires down on...
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mickey S
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We originally booked at Oceana Palace, which you can read my review separately. It was not to my liking at all, so they moved us to this hotel, which was quite a bit better. So here's my review:

This really is an ok hotel. The rooms are clean, they are more like a little condo, with a kitchen and a king size bed. The pool is nice, with slides for the kids, definitely a nice family environment if you plan to do all the cooking and just hang out by the pool.

No really fantastic restaurants nearby, and if you go down to the beach you'll be bombarded by walking beach vendors. I do mean bombarded, like every two minutes. Mazatlan does not have the Can Cun mentality either, and the people will run you down in the streets, they don't care one bit about their tourists. So be careful crossing any street.

Bottom line, this is a nice, cheap option for a family that just wants a nice ocean view and to lounge by the pool all day. (Do not expect a waiter to offer you a drink or anything to eat...)

They will try to sell you a membership, but I already own timeshares that cover a stay there, so they really weren't beneficial to me. The plan overall didn't seem too great, but it might be ok for the right person or family.

I have to admit, I just was not impressed by Mazatlan and was ready to leave a few days earlier than our flight. I didn't like the beach, or the restaurants, or the overall service. They kind of have a "like it, or lump it" attitude, that you don't find in nicer resorts or tourist areas (CanCun).

Anyway, there ya go. Have a nice trip. Remember, there is a safety advisory for this area for Americans at this time, so be careful if you do go.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple