“We loved this place”

Ranked #3 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 21 June 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Playa May 23-29 2009. The hotel and staff was as always fantastic, this was our second trip to Mazatlan. The hotel was clean, the service was always prompt and friendly. We had an ocean view room on the 4th floor, the view from there was awesome, both at night and early in the morning. We slept with the balconey door open so we could fall aslleep to the sound of the waves crashing on shore.
We ate lunch on the outside dining area and under the palapas on the beach. The food and service was great for both. For breakfast we ate at the pool, the food and service there was also great. Our waiter remembered us from our last visit and even asked about a town called Puyallup,WA. We are from Puyallup so it was quite a surprise for us of him to know of it. We told him we would say HI to a friend of his here in Puyallup for him. The only dissappointment we had was that the Mexican Fiesta wasn't playing, because of not enough tickets sold. The Flu I guess kept many people away from Mazatlan according to the tour guides we talked to.
The concierge was very friendly and helped us get our City Tour, Sunset Tour arranged for the days we wanted. We also took the Canopy Tour which is the Zip Line over the trees, she called and got us on the tour that morning and in 15 minutes the bus was there to pick us up. We were really pleased with that because we were hoping to go that morning or afternoon.
The Playa is so close to everything that you can walk to Valentinos, Fiesta Land and Bora Bora in just about 15 minutes and great places to eat. It is basically the center of the Golden Zone as far as convenience to places to eat and see. The views of the ocean, the islands offshore, Valentinos at night are fantastic.
We plan on making the Playa Mazatlan our hotel of choice every year we visit Mazatlan. It is by far the best place to stay in town.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank skeeter320
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Manager at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2010

To whom it may concern (skeeter320 & spouse),

Thank you for your kind reviews of our Hotel and your promise to committed travel to our shores and our facilities. It sounds like in a short amount of time you where able to become captivated by the uniqueness that Mazatlan has and the “home away from home” that the Hotel Playa Mazatlan prides itself in offering to our guest. I am sorry to hear about your disappointment in us not being able to offer the Mexican Fiesta at the time of your stay; as a member of the family of owners and management staff, I can attest to great memories, wonderful food and atmosphere that I have celebrated in “El Salon Venado” (Mexican Fiesta Ball room), I am committed to bringing it back as soon as time and continued travel of our guest allots us the opportunity to do so. I would love to offer my service in helping select a vacation package, and room that would help you get the most value out of your expense on your next trip, please feel free to contact me direct. As well we are in the process of developing an e-album of our guest and friends of the playa, please send me some of you pictures so that we may feature your previous stays.

I again thank you for your great review, loyalty to the resort and travel to our city.

Best Wishes,

CANADA: 1 866 547 5447

Write a ReviewReviews (1,856)

Reviewed 9 May 2009

If you are looking for an uncomplicated and restful place, this is the best. Stunning views, great staff, great service. Yes, the rooms are a little faded but for the price, you can't beat the ocean front rooms, the beautiful beach and location in the Golden Zone with a variety of shops and restaurants nearby. If you are looking for lodging that's chic and/or hip, this is not for you. I was there when there weren't as many guests so it was much quieter. Would highly recommend staying at the Playa and will definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank masapa

To whom it may concern (masapa),

Thank you so much for your visit to the Hotel last spring. I am glad to hear that you where well received by our staff and found the beaches and views welcoming, I would as well like to thank you for the recommendation of the Hotel itself; as a member of the family of owners and management staff, I would like to as invite further reviews and would be curious to personally hear more about your stay and vocational needs and expectations, I would love to personally offer service in selecting a room that might still fit your budget while allowing for a more “chic/hip” stay at our Resort. I would invite you to please contact me directly.

I again thank you for your time and review, as well as look forward to your continued travels to our facilities.

Regards,

Reviewed 16 April 2009

I just got back from my vacation to Mazatlan and we had the joy of staying at the Playa. When we first came into the room did think it was a little plain but functional and clean. We had a coffee machine (which we never used anyways because we would be down at the beach by 8) no fridge but we had a cooler and you can get free ice downstairs at the bar so it worked out well, and for $10 a day you can rent a fridge. Near lots of restaurants, shops, bars, perfect location. Beach is beautiful and Alfredo the beach waiter is awesome, from 8am coffee Happy Hour Beer Buckets he hooked us up, tip this man well cause he works hard. Never really swam in the pools but they looked lovely, one of which I didnt even see until 5 days into the stay because the grounds are pretty big. Roman at the Pool Side Snack shop is a delight to talk to, very freindly staff all round. The open air Lobby with the big wooden rocking chairs was awesome to just have a sit and wait , people watch. Because of all the stone and tile it can be a little loud if people are in the hall ways, our shower leaked a little and the toilet broke but they fixed it with in hours of me telling them (and prob would have been sooner but I asked them to hold off because ppl were sleeping in the room)
When I go back to Mazatlan I will be staying at the Playa for sure.

• Stayed: March 2009

To whom it may concern (traveladdict709 & company),

Thank you so much for your kind words about our resort and staff; as a member of the family of owners and management staff, I will personally thank Alfredo for his hard work and continued dedication, as well as make mention to Roman about his kind poolside manor. I am glad to hear that all of your needs where met and issues were resolved promptly. I can definitely say that service and hospitality is one of the strengths that the Hotel has built its reputation on, and hearing that it continues after 50+ years of service is wonderful. I would love to offer my service in selecting a room that will “exceed” your expectations next time that you stay and would ask that you feel free to contact me direct , also we are in the process of building an e-album of guests of the Playa and we would love to feature some of your vacation memories, if possible, send me some pictures direct.

We look forward to being of service soon and again thank you for your time, review and prompt reply.

Regards,

Reviewed 5 April 2009

This was my first trip to Mazatlan and really didn't know what to expect with the hotel. It was perfect!! The whole room was nice and clean, not to mention a nice size. We faced the main pool, which wasn't too bad. The sheets on the bed were a little rough especially when you have a sunburn, but overall I found the bed pretty comfortable. The hotel staff were all very friendly.
Only thing I missed was having a fridge in the room. Next time I will get a cooler for the room.
I cannot wait to go back next year and I will be definatly staying at the Playa!!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 March 2009

The Playa is a fabulous hotel in heart of the golden zone. It is clean and has all the amenities that you could want. I stayed in the economy room which was nice...I would pay more for an oceanview next time..Nonetheless It met my needs and it is a good place to call home. David the bellboy is fabulous and accomodating we asked for a fridge and he was back in 5 minutes with one..( it cost extra but was nice to have)
Lupita is the concierge she has information on things like massges etc.. She used to work for signature..The beach is great and all the fabulous restaurants nearby are great!!Panchos, Shrimp factory Jungle Juice, Panama are all close! by... The restaurant in the hotel is good too..Went to the fiest a this year ,it was good interesting to see..This hotel is a good clean place to stay it has an awesome beach. What more could you ask for??

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends