3,620 results
All reviews sports bar asian restaurant jacuzzi suite liquor dispenser ocean view buffet style golden zone strip mall main buffet a la cartes every other day towel cards specialty restaurants lower floor sunwing rep lunch buffet looney bean
Reviewed 23 June 2011

Myself , my sister (mid twenties) , and my mom and aunt (mid fifties), visited the Riu Emerald Bay last week-Beautiful resort, excellent service (especially Gladys, Tanya and Tony-they r awsome!!!!) the food was great-lots to choose from everyday and we tried all three restauraunts they were all pretty good...nothing too different from the buffe tthough but good still although my aunt did not like the bamboo restauraunt and we did not enjoy our steak from the steakhouse as they were not cooked properly and we requested well done. Breakfast and lunch were wonderful everyday-make sure you try the hashbrowns for breakfast and nachos at lunch!!! The entertainment is the best ive seen (and I have been to about 5 all inclusive resorts). We only took one trip outside of the resort and that was to the market, we got one of those trucks with the open seats in the back, ten of us went together (friends we made on the resort) and we paid $1.50 each one way. The beach was nice didnt really spend much time there but i went once during the day and only walked in a few feet-strong current. We spent most of our time at the pool it had all the entertainment!!!!also not sure what people are complaining about-the elevators did not take long, we had to wait maybe 5 mins from thurs to sunday max! wifi in the lobby-great cleaning service although make sure you count your money when you put it in the safe-ppl complained they had money missing and keep a track of it like write it down on the envolope when you lock the safe!! also rooms r not connected but down a hallway there r two rooms and it was good for families to have the rooms right across from eachother!!!

The only con i would say is that from Thursday to Sunday the resort was PACKED with local teenagers, i had no problems with the local families (everyone deserves a holiday and kids will be kids) BUT i did have a problem with the fact that the Riu agreed to have a highschool graduation afterparty (sort of like breakaway tours) come to the Resort for three days, which meant huge lines at the buffet and absolutely NO service at the pool bar (there was ZERO room in the swim up bar pool which was suppose to be an adult pool only) I definitly think the Riu should be more considerate when agreeing to let these tour groups come-5-8 buses full of 18 year olds getting drunk and making a mess. Maybe dedicate one weekend to them and dont book families and couples at the same time. It really ruined our 3 days and although i loved everything else i am not sure if i would retrun simply because of the teenagers overcrowding the adult pool for those three days. Also a few of our friends complained about the kids making a mess in the swimup bar and the manager was not intersted in her comments nor did she apologise. One last con the deskchairs at the pool and the beach seem to be washed down every night however they never washed the blue cushions which were usually covered with bird poop!!!
Overall great hotel, great service, great food (minus the 3 days when a highschool tour group came)

Room Tip: all rooms ocean view request one in the middle
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank excitedforsun123
Reviewed 23 June 2011

The hotel was great Ocean views for everyone! The elevators didn't take long like some reviews suggest but I don't think the hotel was very occupied.... I didn't like that some of the Restaurants were only bookable on certain days. Because the Resort wasn't very full I guess they didn't find it necessary to open every restaurant every day, I think the Resort should've laid that out up front and everything would have been ok... All together though the Resort was great for me and my Girlfriend's yearly Valentines getaway

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Flyhighguy
Reviewed 22 June 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Riu Emerald Bay in March from Friday to Friday. We LOVED it.
Yes it's true, they do have one day per week for the locals, but everyone is still very friendly and it did not affect us negatively.

The hotel itself was beautiful, all ocean view rooms, large bathrooms, large balconies, clean, beautiful lobby and a great buffet.
Many people have complained that they had to wait in line to make dinner reservations at the restaurants...which is true but the main buffet offered such a wide variety of choices every day and night, you didn't need to eat anywhere else.

The pools were clean, there were tons of chairs so you never had to worry about not getting a seat.
The beach was beautiful and very private. The vendors were kept at bay behind the ropes and even when they did talk to you, they were extremely friendly.

The elevator service was not good. We waited up to 15-20 minutes for our elevator a few times and wound up taking the stairs up to our 9th floor room instead.

Overall...it was a great experience and I would stay there again. If the biggest complaint I have is waiting for an elevator...I'm on vacation? What do I need to be in a hurry for?

• Stayed: March 2011
5  Thank JackeeDee
Reviewed 22 June 2011

Hi, me and my family stayed at the Rui Emerald Bay from June 4 to June 11. We flew from Vancouver direct to Mazatlan. The resort is about 30 min cab drive from the resort. The cost of the cab ride is $40, Upon arrival check in was quick and the mango welcome drink is delightful ! We opted not to go for the shuttle to the resort so we could check in early. We tipped the baggage person and brought our things in within minuites. The rooms are very clean, the bathrooms are large with 2 sinks. All rooms are gorgeous ocean views. The AC works like a charm and the fridge is stocked with beer, soft drinks and lots of water. Our fridge was stocked daily and had no issues with cleanliness or the maids.
The resort is GORGEOUS! There are large pools with a swim up bar, lots of music playing and the pools are cleaned every night. The drinks are awesome! With no complaints about any of the bars at the resort concerning the drinks or the willingness for the staff to accomodate ! The upstairs lounge has premium liquour and the bartenders will always accomodate.
THE FOOD: Breakfast is amazing, They always had pancakes with real maple syrup, choc syrup, jam syrup. Always had omletts,scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, loads of fruits, yogurts, bread, muffins and some mexican foods as well. The only complaint I had was they NEVER had real butter, just a processed margarine. But no big deal. Try the pineapple jam, its a must try. They had thier version of oatmeal and is was delicious.
Lunch: Was buffet style and always had a huge salad bar with mixed greens, pasta salads, some seafood salads, fresh fruits, buns, soup and deserts. For hot menu, many kinds of pizza, I would get a custom one made for my kids and pick toppings from other stations. There was always hamburgers, fries, rice, few diffrent kids of sole, fish, pasta, tacos, steak etc. On the beach a few times they had BBQ's with sirloin steak, hamburgers etc. Huge selection of mexican foods that changed daily.
Dinner: Buffet style as well wtih huge selections of mexican, pastas, fish, steak , chicken, salads and deserts. There was always something to feast on. As far as the Mexican restaurant, steakhouse and Japanese, the mexican we went one night and was not impressed with the appetizers and soup so we walked out. Didn't seem that anyone was interested in the food. The Japanese was self serve and alot of pork greasy items so we didn't go. The sushi looked okay but if I want sushi I would stay home. The steakhouse we heard was okay but no AC in the restaurant so we didn't go.
MR. LIONSOS!!! IS A MUST GO! Its a restaurant on the beach with fantastic fews that has the best seafood around. About a 15 min walk down the beach, we took a cab since there was seven of us. We ordered the fried fish,the seafood platter and fish and chips. It was awesome !
The workout facilites are AC and they have a great jetted tub and sauna that you can book for which is free but requires reservations.
I had a massage on the beach for 50 min for $50 by Maria. It was the best massage I had. Its on the RUI resort and they are licenced therapists.
DON'T BUY any silver jewlery on the beach. THEY ARE ALL RIP OFF ARTISTS. The silver is stamped but how can they sell it so cheap if silver is $50 an ounce. They are really good at lying. If you are going to buy go into town and get if from a reputable dealer and make sure it says MEXICO. I bought a very nice necklace from the silver shop in the resort.
The waters are rough so be very careful. Even if you are up only to your knees very quickly the tides can get you at to your shoulders. Be very careful with young children and only let them in to their ankles. It can come in very quickly.
All in all my family and I had a great time at this resort. Its very clean, beautiful, gorgeous pools, gorgeous beach, lots of lounge chairs, The entertainment is decent and makes you laugh and enjoy the evening. If we were bored we would go to the beach and hear the ocean. We must all remember its a vacation and NOT home. It won't be perfect, but for sure the weather was, the resort was gorgeous and the service great ! The food got a little bit the same after the 4th day but if you break it up with a trip to the seafood restaurant down the beach it will all be good. We took one excursion only, HORSEBACKRIDING with GINGERS BILIGUAL HORSES. Had a blast with the ride down the beach ! The horses are tame, very clean and trained extremley well. If you have children its a must ! I would rate the hotel, grounds, resort, drinks, room a 41/2 star. The food an almost 4 star. ( If they had real butter, more variety of foods and SHRIMP daily then it would pass for 5 star. But for the value we paid for our trip on HOTWIRE it was a great family vacation !

Room Tip: They are all ocean front rooms
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank azhunbun
Reviewed 21 June 2011

We arrived by West Jet Air , zipped through Airport, Paid for a Taxi at the booth Outside and were off to the Resort. Cost of cab now $400.00 peso. Long drive (approx. 45mins.) so worth the cost ! Return trip will cost $380.00 peso. You get to see Lots of the area on the drive.
Riu is a wonderful (2 year old) hugh building, Gate security, then the Spa and Meeting room buildings ,then drive up to the Entrance and the WOW Lobby..Fantastic.

Wonderful Welcome.,David is a nice doorman. Desk Staff, Elizabeth and Filberto were Great!. Nice welcome Drinks plus an Early Book In.at approx. 1.40p.m. (regular book in is 3 p.m.) We were lucky as Sat. was 90 % full. WOW.

We have been to several other Riu Resorts in Mexico and the D.Republic, plus other resorts, I will say the E.Bay is one of the BEST! We enjoyed our 2 WEEKS , June 4 to June 18. and wish to Thank the Wonderful staff.

ROOM: We got the 17th.floor to the North. #1706..Called Honeymoon room.LoL. King bed. with TWO sliding doors to a Double open Deck. WOW.
Maid kept the room spotless and we enjoyed the nice towel art left on bed. Hugh closet, hugh bathroom with 2 sinks. tub with shower combo. Flat screen t.v. Full bar and fridge with beer, pop,water. plus a WELCOME gift of Fruit/cheese and bottle of bubbly for our Special Anniversary.. a WOW !! Thanks Erika and Management.

BEACH: Nice long walks in both directions. As mentioned some rough water, so be aware and swim where directed by staff.
Sunsets: were lovely.

FOOD: Great food.. Just as good as Riu Vallarta (our last trip there in Dec. 2010). We enjoyed the Mexican (Tobasco) and the Steak house (Las Gaviotas-2 times) did not go the the Asian(Bamboo).
at the Main Buffet (Las 3 Isles) for Breakfast and Dinner we had fantastic food. Fruit,.Salad,Pasta,Mexican Dessert Stations.. What's not to like? from Turkey to large shrimps to at least 10 hard Ice CREAM....to choice from.. Fantastic and Great service.
At the Lunch Buffet we were happy that it was Indoors also (therefore you don't have to fend off the birds).LoL. Great food, kids love the soft 3 types of Ice Cream.Me Too!!

All are NON smoking., but you can find seating outside in the open areas of the Buffets.
We did notice that some food seemed TOO salty at Times?? and I missed WAFFLES that the Riu Vallarta had., but the Kids must have loved the Pancakes with the candy sprinkles etc. cooked inside.
We went to the Beach BBQ,,Fantastic ribs and thin steak that an other reviewer mentioned.. I usually pass on the bbqs. but this was WELL Done.

ENTERTAINMENT: Very good Annimation Team and lots of things to do. Fernando was super Nice..a Riu Bonus..
We watched the Vegas and Tropical and Mexican Night shows. MamaMia ,so,so. Forget Grease it's ,getting old.LoL. We skipped Miss and Mr. Riu Nights and Kareoke nights.

BARS.Drinks: Great Drinks and Bar service everywhere., even the rolling carts at the Pools.
Bartenders: are all Great IMHO., Never saw an unfriendly staff at all,Period...
Try the Lobby Bar, Thanks to Gabriela and all others. Great Service!!

We Tip, but stay 2 weeks, so budget the tips accordingly. I never noticed that anyone got better service at any time, as some guest did Not tip. Do try to tip,even if Included in your pkg.

POOLS: 2 hugh plus another with swim up Bar. and a kids pool too. The 2 large ones have nice overflows.
The security guards try to keep the kids OUT of the swim up pool, with some difficulties at times. Why do parents want to take their children to swim with the drunks? Lol.
Our ONLY Disappointment was not with the RIU but seeing/watching Two SENIOR Men,from Toronto, who NEVER left the Stools in the swim up bar all DAY long!!. I won't go into details, but NOT nice to See. I hope ,the Bleach? they put in the Pool, ate their shorts etc.. All I can say is "I though little kids were bad!! ha ha" Shower Lots, I Sure Did!!.

No trouble with the Elevators, longest wait was at most 5 minutes.
Re: the Crack in the bldg. It was being Fixed. You could tell ,that the cracks followed a design of 4 lines, Most likely water got into the lines. Concrete.duh...

We met lots of wonderful people from all over north and south America.
There are NO "Locals" guests,They are" Mexican Nationals" and come to enjoy THEIR Holiday too ,and Yes, some Grads. arrived the last few days we were there. Some got a little out of line and in trouble, but most were nice and enjoyed their Holidays, as we sure DID.

Go and Enjoy.

the Management do a Super good job with all the Services and Security at the E.Bay.
Thanks for Our Wonderful SPECIAL Trip.
We will Return.

Room Tip: Desk will change Canadian to Peso but No USD.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple