“Great Resort, soo worth the price!”

Hotel Riu Emerald Bay
Ranked #12 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
Reviewed 24 June 2011

So I just got back a few days ago. I went to this resort with my girlfriend from June 14-21st. We bought the vacation about a month in advance at a last minute price. We had neutral expectations because of the few bad reviews we read. But also I didn't care about them too much because of the fact that it is a Riu hotel.
So, the beach was amazing! So wide and there was always a seat to grab. There was a BBQ set up on the beach about 3 times throughout the week which was delicious. There was your regular boutique stands set up which were easy to avoid. There were massages available from the resort as well as a 3rd party company which was super cheap. $30/hr of massage! There was also parasailing and a seadoo available for rent which I did partake. Amazing! Also, there is boogie boards available for free from the hotel. The only negative thing about the ocean was that sometimes the undertoe was too strong for swimming, and at the morning/evening there was usually a large influx of jellyfish. Couldn't swim in the ocean during these times.
The infinity pools and pool loungers were always a plenty. There was always a spot to grab. There is only 1 swim up bar which was enough considering that our rooms were located so close to the outside amenities.
The inside of the hotel is beautiful, as well as the restaurants. The buffet food was always above par, was definitely satisfied. The a la carte restaurants were ok, probably the same quality as the buffet. The mexican was the best. Oh, and the elevators were never more than about a 5 minute wait. It was never a problem.
The main negative review from me was that during the week we were there was when the high schools in Mexico were celebrating graduation. Meaning there was about 500 mexican 15 year olds that pretty much took over the hotel. The pool bar became so gross that the water felt slimy! But they were only there for a few days.
Overall, great vacation!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank GSull
Write a ReviewReviews (3,369)

Reviewed 23 June 2011

Myself , my sister (mid twenties) , and my mom and aunt (mid fifties), visited the Riu Emerald Bay last week-Beautiful resort, excellent service (especially Gladys, Tanya and Tony-they r awsome!!!!) the food was great-lots to choose from everyday and we tried all three restauraunts they were all pretty good...nothing too different from the buffe tthough but good still although my aunt did not like the bamboo restauraunt and we did not enjoy our steak from the steakhouse as they were not cooked properly and we requested well done. Breakfast and lunch were wonderful everyday-make sure you try the hashbrowns for breakfast and nachos at lunch!!! The entertainment is the best ive seen (and I have been to about 5 all inclusive resorts). We only took one trip outside of the resort and that was to the market, we got one of those trucks with the open seats in the back, ten of us went together (friends we made on the resort) and we paid $1.50 each one way. The beach was nice didnt really spend much time there but i went once during the day and only walked in a few feet-strong current. We spent most of our time at the pool it had all the entertainment!!!!also not sure what people are complaining about-the elevators did not take long, we had to wait maybe 5 mins from thurs to sunday max! wifi in the lobby-great cleaning service although make sure you count your money when you put it in the safe-ppl complained they had money missing and keep a track of it like write it down on the envolope when you lock the safe!! also rooms r not connected but down a hallway there r two rooms and it was good for families to have the rooms right across from eachother!!!

The only con i would say is that from Thursday to Sunday the resort was PACKED with local teenagers, i had no problems with the local families (everyone deserves a holiday and kids will be kids) BUT i did have a problem with the fact that the Riu agreed to have a highschool graduation afterparty (sort of like breakaway tours) come to the Resort for three days, which meant huge lines at the buffet and absolutely NO service at the pool bar (there was ZERO room in the swim up bar pool which was suppose to be an adult pool only) I definitly think the Riu should be more considerate when agreeing to let these tour groups come-5-8 buses full of 18 year olds getting drunk and making a mess. Maybe dedicate one weekend to them and dont book families and couples at the same time. It really ruined our 3 days and although i loved everything else i am not sure if i would retrun simply because of the teenagers overcrowding the adult pool for those three days. Also a few of our friends complained about the kids making a mess in the swimup bar and the manager was not intersted in her comments nor did she apologise. One last con the deskchairs at the pool and the beach seem to be washed down every night however they never washed the blue cushions which were usually covered with bird poop!!!
Overall great hotel, great service, great food (minus the 3 days when a highschool tour group came)

Room Tip: all rooms ocean view request one in the middle
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank excitedforsun123
Reviewed 23 June 2011

The hotel was great Ocean views for everyone! The elevators didn't take long like some reviews suggest but I don't think the hotel was very occupied.... I didn't like that some of the Restaurants were only bookable on certain days. Because the Resort wasn't very full I guess they didn't find it necessary to open every restaurant every day, I think the Resort should've laid that out up front and everything would have been ok... All together though the Resort was great for me and my Girlfriend's yearly Valentines getaway

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Flyhighguy
Reviewed 22 June 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Riu Emerald Bay in March from Friday to Friday. We LOVED it.
Yes it's true, they do have one day per week for the locals, but everyone is still very friendly and it did not affect us negatively.

The hotel itself was beautiful, all ocean view rooms, large bathrooms, large balconies, clean, beautiful lobby and a great buffet.
Many people have complained that they had to wait in line to make dinner reservations at the restaurants...which is true but the main buffet offered such a wide variety of choices every day and night, you didn't need to eat anywhere else.

The pools were clean, there were tons of chairs so you never had to worry about not getting a seat.
The beach was beautiful and very private. The vendors were kept at bay behind the ropes and even when they did talk to you, they were extremely friendly.

The elevator service was not good. We waited up to 15-20 minutes for our elevator a few times and wound up taking the stairs up to our 9th floor room instead.

Overall...it was a great experience and I would stay there again. If the biggest complaint I have is waiting for an elevator...I'm on vacation? What do I need to be in a hurry for?

• Stayed: March 2011
5  Thank JackeeDee
Reviewed 22 June 2011

Hi, me and my family stayed at the Rui Emerald Bay from June 4 to June 11. We flew from Vancouver direct to Mazatlan. The resort is about 30 min cab drive from the resort. The cost of the cab ride is $40, Upon arrival check in was quick and the mango welcome drink is delightful ! We opted not to go for the shuttle to the resort so we could check in early. We tipped the baggage person and brought our things in within minuites. The rooms are very clean, the bathrooms are large with 2 sinks. All rooms are gorgeous ocean views. The AC works like a charm and the fridge is stocked with beer, soft drinks and lots of water. Our fridge was stocked daily and had no issues with cleanliness or the maids.
The resort is GORGEOUS! There are large pools with a swim up bar, lots of music playing and the pools are cleaned every night. The drinks are awesome! With no complaints about any of the bars at the resort concerning the drinks or the willingness for the staff to accomodate ! The upstairs lounge has premium liquour and the bartenders will always accomodate.
THE FOOD: Breakfast is amazing, They always had pancakes with real maple syrup, choc syrup, jam syrup. Always had omletts,scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, loads of fruits, yogurts, bread, muffins and some mexican foods as well. The only complaint I had was they NEVER had real butter, just a processed margarine. But no big deal. Try the pineapple jam, its a must try. They had thier version of oatmeal and is was delicious.
Lunch: Was buffet style and always had a huge salad bar with mixed greens, pasta salads, some seafood salads, fresh fruits, buns, soup and deserts. For hot menu, many kinds of pizza, I would get a custom one made for my kids and pick toppings from other stations. There was always hamburgers, fries, rice, few diffrent kids of sole, fish, pasta, tacos, steak etc. On the beach a few times they had BBQ's with sirloin steak, hamburgers etc. Huge selection of mexican foods that changed daily.
Dinner: Buffet style as well wtih huge selections of mexican, pastas, fish, steak , chicken, salads and deserts. There was always something to feast on. As far as the Mexican restaurant, steakhouse and Japanese, the mexican we went one night and was not impressed with the appetizers and soup so we walked out. Didn't seem that anyone was interested in the food. The Japanese was self serve and alot of pork greasy items so we didn't go. The sushi looked okay but if I want sushi I would stay home. The steakhouse we heard was okay but no AC in the restaurant so we didn't go.
MR. LIONSOS!!! IS A MUST GO! Its a restaurant on the beach with fantastic fews that has the best seafood around. About a 15 min walk down the beach, we took a cab since there was seven of us. We ordered the fried fish,the seafood platter and fish and chips. It was awesome !
The workout facilites are AC and they have a great jetted tub and sauna that you can book for which is free but requires reservations.
I had a massage on the beach for 50 min for $50 by Maria. It was the best massage I had. Its on the RUI resort and they are licenced therapists.
DON'T BUY any silver jewlery on the beach. THEY ARE ALL RIP OFF ARTISTS. The silver is stamped but how can they sell it so cheap if silver is $50 an ounce. They are really good at lying. If you are going to buy go into town and get if from a reputable dealer and make sure it says MEXICO. I bought a very nice necklace from the silver shop in the resort.
The waters are rough so be very careful. Even if you are up only to your knees very quickly the tides can get you at to your shoulders. Be very careful with young children and only let them in to their ankles. It can come in very quickly.
All in all my family and I had a great time at this resort. Its very clean, beautiful, gorgeous pools, gorgeous beach, lots of lounge chairs, The entertainment is decent and makes you laugh and enjoy the evening. If we were bored we would go to the beach and hear the ocean. We must all remember its a vacation and NOT home. It won't be perfect, but for sure the weather was, the resort was gorgeous and the service great ! The food got a little bit the same after the 4th day but if you break it up with a trip to the seafood restaurant down the beach it will all be good. We took one excursion only, HORSEBACKRIDING with GINGERS BILIGUAL HORSES. Had a blast with the ride down the beach ! The horses are tame, very clean and trained extremley well. If you have children its a must ! I would rate the hotel, grounds, resort, drinks, room a 41/2 star. The food an almost 4 star. ( If they had real butter, more variety of foods and SHRIMP daily then it would pass for 5 star. But for the value we paid for our trip on HOTWIRE it was a great family vacation !

Room Tip: They are all ocean front rooms
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family