All reviews club maeva water slides bedroom villa mexican resort barra de navidad an adult nightly entertainment body surfing a la carte an umbrella new friends waterslides shows sand mexico vacation canada
Reviewed 21 February 2012

My wife and I just returned from a vacation at the Gran Festivall ( Feb.13- 20th). We found the resort to be very huge with great potential. The staff were very friendly but the lack of English was a problem. Lupita the concierge was very helpful to solve any problems. The food was good and the waiters were good. Jaimie at the beach restaurant was exceptional. He does everything he can to make you enjoy your stay. The swimming pools were emaculate. All pools were so clean that you could clearly see the bottom, no matter where you were. The maid service was good, supplying clean towels etc. on a daily basis. The resort offers several activities (ie. waterslides, zip line, tennis courts etc.) Why do I only rate this resort average???
The resort is "tired" and needs a good sprucing up. The villas, although spacious need to be upgraded and the plumbing needs a great deal of work. In the week we were there, we had the toilet plug three times (not our doing). The resort needs to hire an activities director to co-ordinate activities and get things organized. Although the resort boasts of all the acitivities available there wasn't anyone to lead them. The waterslides need repair. As mentioned earlier there is a lack of English. It is very difficult to communicate with the front desk personnel. This resort has a lot to offer, unfortunately over the years the old ownership has let it deteriorate. Now it is up to the new ownership to upgrade it and hire the people who can take what is available (and there is lots) and help the guests to enjoy their vacation at the resort.

Room Tip: Rooms in the villas "200" range receive noise from the disco
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Ralph R
Reviewed 12 February 2012

We were at the Gran Festivall from January 31 to February 7. Our room had some issues,we told the concierge Lupita and she gave us a new room right any. It was very good. We went with our two children, ages five and eight. There is lots to do. Kids Club, waterslides, two kids pools, tennis, soccer, paint ball, a climbing wall, ping pong, swimming lessons and more. My kids also loved the beach, which has nice waves to play in . The staff were very friendly. We went to the Transat Holiday orientation which which was helpful because they made sure we had a schedule of all the activities. The schedule is also posted at the tower beside the main pool. Our room was cleaned thoroughly daily with plenty of fresh towels. The food was good, there was plenty of variety. The beach restarant was nice, great staff especially Jaime and Reuben. The only problem I had was that the trip was too short.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank csnn
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Very dated resort in need of upgrading. Staff is very friendly but DO NOT speak English at all. All of the shows and entertainment are in Spanish only. Food has limited variety and is of poor quality. They only have one a la carte restaurant and you have to be at the front desk by 8am to book as it can only be booked the day of. Great beach if you don't mind a bit of a hike. Water slide is in rough shape and if you sit up while going down them you will come to a complete stop. Lol. It could be a decent resort if they spent 20 million on renovations. It is a two star at best. We have been to Mexico 7 times in the last 7 years and this by far was the most run down one we've stayed at. We called our travel agent in Winnipeg to help us get in contact with Transat in Mexico so we could move hotels for second week. We paid a lot more money to change hotels but it was worth it.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank Jrtherooster
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Worst vacation in Mexico ever....and we have been all over....this resort does not cater to tourists....no english...food awful....same thing everyday, just changed the sauces (very spicy)
Most of the activities for children were either closed or broken....No or very poor assistance by staff....due to language barrier....Our accomatation was terrible...dirty, moldy, and again...poor maid service...had to chase down towels daily....Resort does not look like web site...needs ALOT of work.......very disappointed...never again....

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank fnar
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Advantages of the hotel: They have nice sport facilities and a rather long water slide. You can also play gotcha and there are also a climbing wall and an archery range (but all these is not included and a fee is charged!). There is also a hotel doctor for emergencies.

Disadvantages of the hotel: First of all please note that we were housed in the gold-category (‘seccion-oro’)!

All in all the hotel is the most horrible hotel that my wife and me ever saw!
When we arrived in our room we were very suprised as the bedspread and the mirros were dirty, the drinking glasses were used and there were no towels in the room. The furniture of the room is very worn and rusty. Only two of five lamps were working!

We never got clean towels so that my wife, who is from Manzanillo and speaks Spanish, asked for clean towels at the reception every day of the first four days. One day we also left a message and a tip (20 MXN Peso) in our room for the cleaning woman and remembered her to give us clean towels but she only took the money and did not bring us clean towels.
As mentioned above my wife speaks Spanish so that she complained of the problem with the towels. On the fifth day I told to my wife that I do not want that she always goes to the reception and complaints about the problem with the towels, so that I went to the reception and asked (once again!) for clean towels in English. But to my suprise the receptionist let me know that he does not speak English...My wife and we were always thinking that the hotel is an international (!) resort and that they would speak English. Why they have inter alia also U.S. flag attachted at the hotel entrance, when they do not (or do not want to) speak English…?
Thanks god we have friends in Manzanillo so that they gave us clean towels for the next days!

Please also note that the food does not taste good and in the second week I suffered a virulent abdominal influenza. Thanks god – that was one of the few advantages of the hotel – they have a hotel doctor who prescribed me antibiotics.

In the advertisement they promise that sun beds and umbrellas would be also included. Thats true but please note that you only can use the white umbrellas at the beach and please also note that they have only 8 white umbrellas with 4 sun beds at every white umbrella (= totally 32 sun beds for all the hotel!)…

One day we wanted to make a telephone call but this was not possible. The receptionist told us that we cannot make a telephone call as we would have paid the hotel bill on the day of our arrival and therefore the invoice would be closed and could not be reopened! We told the receptionist that this would be true but we were obliged to pay the hotel bill on the day of our arrival and of course we would be willing to pay the telephone costs subsequently. Finaly, all these arguements failed and we could not make a telephone call!

As you can see from the photo we found worms every day which crept out of the crevices of the wall and crawled up onto the bed!

As I mentioned above the food was rather bad and had me made ill. After I was healty again we decided to stop eating in the hotel and breakfasted on our hotel balcony from now on. Of course every day some bradcrumbs fell on the balcony floor but none of the cleaning women had the idea to clean the floor of the balcony (like this is usual at other hotels). The responsible cleaning woman only cleaned just one time, after we rewarded her with a tip of 40 MXN Peso in advance…

Last but not least let me also say that the mattress of the bad was disgusting (see photo) and the water of the pool was dirty as the water circulation did not worked very well.

As these and other problems continued to exist we changed the hotel on the fourth last holiday day and thanks god in the new hotel we were happy! Of course ‘Gran Festival” did not refund us the price of the last fours days!

We will never return to this hotel again!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple