“Only for especial exhibitions.”
Review of Museo del Vidrio

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Museo del Vidrio
Ranked #45 of 133 things to do in Monterrey
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum outlines the history of glass and the glass industry, featuring some beautiful examples of 20th-century glass art.
Reviewed 18 January 2013

This is a very small museum with a nice glass collection but limited, good enough for Monterrey. However the museum is the core of a still running glass factory, one of the biggest in the world. so... if you have time to visit it, it´s a whole experience. I visit this museum several times while I was living in Monterrey a couple years ago, and I remember that they try hard to bring world class exhibitions to Monterrey, "Napoleon of france" has been one of the most beautiful experiences in my life... and I have been in the Louvre...

1  Thank Luis R

Reviewed 20 July 2012

Like contemporary art? Looking to find out more about what the up and coming artist are from Mexico? This is a great gallery to visit. Loved the creativity and variety of glass art.

Reviewed 14 June 2012

If you are traveling with young, ages 7-70 you can take a course making a portrait frame or a candle holder, depends on the age. It is a LOT of fun, and a great idea for a family to get together and make something that will definitely look great and be completely original. You do have to call and make the appointment with plenty of time.

Reviewed 19 January 2012

It is very well hidden inside the manufacturing plant of Vitro. Even when you are in there you can get turned around since this is a working plant. the museum is 3 floors. The best art is in the 3rd floor which is kind of an attic. There are some very beautiful pieces if you are willing to go up the narrow wooden stairs.

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 January 2008

I was curious since it was so highly rated in Monterrey by others. It was a little out of the way; I had to take a taxi to get there.

The museum is way in the back of a working industrial glass plant. You walk past an outer security gate, and then after a walk, there's another entrance where you buy your ticket. Across from the museum you can see in the window glass bottles on the conveyor belts.

I don't know if I got there when shifts were changing, but there were several people walking around in hard hats.

Once you get to the museum, it's interesting. The lower floors have samples and some of the history of glass in Mexico. The attic has some beautiful glass sculptures from around the world.

Some absolutely gorgeous glasswork.

I was perhaps a little disappointed but in hindsight I think I built it up a bit because it was so highly rated.

I don't know much about glass, but even as a laymen, I'm glad I went.

I was a bit worried about being able to find a taxi on the way back. The security guard, though, said to just wait across the street at the convenience store; sure enough a taxi came by fairly soon.

3  Thank austindude