“Be Careful What You Wish For.”
Review of Motel El Cortez

Motel El Cortez
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Felipe
Motel El Cortez
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in San Felipe
Reviewed 19 June 2016

The first time I went there they offered me a new huge room with a big TV right in the driveway. The best they have. I told the desk clerk I didn't want it, and he rolled his eyes back and gave me a little old bungalow right on the sand. Americans don't travel to San Felipe for the new big room or the TV. We want the little bungalow on the sand where the light house shines in the window every night. I love this place. I eat a meal every day in the restaurant, and tip well at the bar. I can sit on the sand with a drink in my hand and watch people having a good time. Every morning I get up, make coffee, grab a trash bag and walk up and down the beach. I meet other Americans with trash bags doing the same. Its what we do. I really love this place.

Room Tip: ask for the bungalows. Small but on the beach.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank larryfinley1

Reviewed 1 April 2016 via mobile

First and last time taking a trip to San Felipe. The place was pretty tired and rundown lots of shutdown stores and businesses the place is in shambles very dirty the beach was filthy the water tides constantly fluctuating water was filthy dirty not very enjoyable went at quite possibly the worst time the weather was cold cloudy and very windy too cold to enjoy the pool much less the beach, don't waste your time or your excitement getting there, go elsewhere instead. The motel was not necessarily acceptable but the only thing available there, at least warm water and rooftop.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 November 2015

Stayed at El Cortez for the past 5 years, every March. This really is the typical Baja motel-although better than most, reasonably clean. Floors are always tile, beds/bedding are adequate, not great. There is always hot water, a nice perk in Baja. Their location is their best benefit--right on the beach. Bring your own soap & shampoo, theirs is inadequate. The Barefoot bar is a nice place for an ice cold beer, margarita or cocktail. They will also sell you ice. You can order food there from the restaurant, as well. You can walk about 1/2 mile & be on the Malecon. I too have had check-in problems, so be wary, if you send payment, bring confirmation of it with you. Rates are reasonable.

Room Tip: Great ocean views from upstairs rooms, sandy beach right out front. Paella festival is outstanding!
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Greg J
Reviewed 15 November 2015

Stayed 2 nights in a comfortable room that needed clean sheets. Management did send
Sheets but took rather long to communicate. This place is right on the water with beautiful views. Rooms could use updating and fixing, walls, doorways, and service.

Room Tip: Ask to see room before paying.
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Americanaarts
Reviewed 6 April 2015

This Hotel did not accept our Expedia confirmation number, we were lucky and did get our rooms BUT 2 couples did not (they had even paid when they reserved).
They seem to be in a labor dispute, fortunately we took enough cash to pay (They are not accepting any cards at Hotel, bar and restaurant). We had a good time but paid too much for what they were offering.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank vaquero

Been to Motel El Cortez? Share your experiences!