See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 October 2015

Let me be straight forward --> It was a HORRIBLE!!! Stayed here for a friends wedding. Driving into the hotel was a bumpy uneven road to start off with. We went to check in to a nice attendant who was on a laptop, not for company use though because everything he did was on paper. Checked us in on paper and gave us a handwritten receipt which we had to pay in cash. He gave us our key to room 120. Walked in to a musty, hot room. It was so crappy, I didn't even unpack. A/C unit in wall but DID NOT WORK. Fought with windows to get them opened. Screens were torn and to lock them was a long metal pipe to wedge in between window and pane. The drapes were so long, I tripped over them several times. The bed did not look nor smelled clean. There was not enough room in the room to walk around the bed. Old 80's tv that only showed 2 channels. Bathroom sink faucet was very loose. Bad lighting. Toilet would not flush properly. Some of our friends in other rooms had no running water! I do have to admit the water pressure of the shower was very nice and it was very warm. Best thing of the room. Ants all over the room. The first night I woke up itching my back like crazy.. something must've been eating me alive. I jumped in shower - next morning woke up with bites on my back. DISGUSTING. Went to complain to Omar and Rocio, Managers, and they said there is nothing they can do. They couldn't even move me to a different room. No beach access. Outside smelled like sewer. A lot of the rooms were not in service. I asked for a discount they said they can give me a 10% discount only because the rooms were already getting a discount for the wedding... $75/night in Mexico is not a discount. Not for this crappy room. Anyhow, wedding happened and they screwed that up too. Note to self - NEVER AGAIN!!!!

Room tip: Do not stay at this hotel!
Date of stay: October 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank Clugo2511
Reviewed 8 October 2015

Recently renovated, this older property is being upgraded. There are many listings for it, most with the wrong location. This place, built in the 40s, has sprawling grounds and lovely historical artifacts, as well as the historical significance of being built on the line dividing the Catholic mission districts between the north & the south of California.

They have a bar and two restaurants, one of which (Galeon) TripAdvisor won't review because it has no website. But the food in Galeon was excellent, especially the fish tacos.

Date of stay: September 2015
Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank bazi43
Reviewed 2 July 2015

My friend and I were in town having dinner when we met some people from out of town that were looking for the Hotel Calafia. I told them it would be easier to follow me there as I lived nearby. So they followed me there and they wanted to buy us drinks for helping them. We a whole hearty yes and followed them throughout the process of their check in for the room. The guy at the hotel desk was very nice, young but eager to help. They allowed our new found friends to check out different rooms hoping to get the best one with an ocean view. The first set of rooms he showed them had partial ocean views but you had to take this big haul out to the back 40 to get there. Mind you, our new friends were not spring chickens so our guy showed us rooms closer to the center of the hotel i.e. restaurant, art galleries, bars, etc. Also, their purpose for coming was to attend an upcoming wedding on that Saturday. When showing us the closer rooms, you could tell they had not been touched in many years, they were musty, tired and just plain old with NO air conditioning. Not to mention they were located near a nasty sewage smell that when sitting on the balcony you were sure to have it waft up your nostrils. Not pleasant at all. They went ahead and payed what I thought was way to much per night for 5 nights in cash because they do not take credit cards. Unbelievable.

Then we proceeded to the restaurant (bar was closed) to have drinks. Beautiful ocean bluff setting where we ordered 4 cocktails at $30. Right there and then, I said "guys, it's been about 9 years plus since I've been here and I remember why". They were over priced then and still continued to be after all these years. The waiter was really nice and asked if I'd like to see the menu, I said sure. And there was the other shoe drop. Great menu, gourmet style, but prices where almost twice as much as the other similar restaurants in town that get most the business. I mentioned to the waiter the differences and said this might be why they had not business. He said they are packed on the weekends but I suspect it is unknowing, first time tourists that didn't know any better since Calafia is a landmark in Rosarito.

After sitting there drinking my expensive cocktail, I said to my new friends who you could tell were not happy with their arrangements, I have a house right on the water in the campo where I live for $50 per night rather than the $80 per night they just paid to Calafia if they'd like that instead. They eagerly said YES! They went back to hotel desk, requested a refund in which case the nice young man complied.

In short, I believe the old Calafia has come to it's end of glory. Maybe if they get a reality dose and decide to bring the prices down, spend some money on updating the rooms, clean the trash up that's blown all over the sewage smelling bluffs, they might have a decent chance of resurrecting this fabulous location to it's former or newer, better glory.

Room tip: Great place for weddings.
Date of stay: July 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank Kevin R
Reviewed 16 February 2015

My boyfriend and I wanted to have a weekend for Valentines day. While we were there wanted to check it out for a posible wedding venue for us to have our wedding. Let me Tell you that I was so disappointed and could never even think to have my friends and family come there. The first thing is there is the worst service and rooms. We checked in and someone brought us to our room,the door wouldn't open all the way and the ceiling fan was missing a blade so when we turned it on i felt it was going to come off of the ceiling and hurt us. My boyfriend went to the front desk and said we won't stay without a fan and at first they said there was nothing they could do they were booked. I even said i was willing to pay more for a better room. they said we have one more and took us to it. The fan in this room didn't work,omg, I thought. The sad thing is I had gone there before 10+ years ago and it was amazing, had only been there for there famous breakfast buffet,but walked around and it was so nice. Back to present time. We decided to stay cause our phones wouldn't work and there WiFi was down. We thought this will be ok we will have an amazing dinner and spend time together. WRONG! the dinner was a disaster, the food was 2 hours late. We were put at a table with 8 other people we didn't know like a wedding. This was part of this valentines package that we got. while we were waiting for dinner they asked this sweet older couple to move cause they said they were at a different table. We were like are you kidding there are many tables they don't have to move! They kept insisting they did, finally my boyfriend was like there not going to move and they left that alone till they asked us to MOVE our table closer to another table so they could put another table next to us. We did. Then the salad wasn't been cold it was wilted and half of the room were don't with theres and on the dinner before we got ours. Oh wait did i mention that dinner was over and hour late! While we were waiting there was a live band that was so loud you could even talk to the person next to you, So romantic! Finally dinner was served, gross!, I was so frustrated by that time i said to my boyfriend lets go to a taco stand in Rosarito. When we got back to our room and slept with our clothes on, cause the bed didn't look like it was that clean. We had to almost sleep on top of each other cause the bed was so old that it sagged in the middle. Ok we will get through this we thought and what a story. ha ha. middle of the night the neighbors were screaming! then morning. We had to go off site to get coffee cause they didn't have any, and the Buffet wasn't read till 9am. I bragged about this buffet i remembered how awesome it was! WRONG AGAIN! It was the worst, can't even tell you how bad. we just left and chalked it up to a couple hundred dollar lost! Please Don't stay here. its so bad! there wasn't even cups or ice for us in our room wan when we asked they didn't have any and the ice was going tot be delivered in like 2 hours! We went off site to get almost everything we needed

Date of stay: February 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hair1977
Reviewed 2 November 2014 via mobile

Amazing views! Great restaraunt with amazing views. . Staff was very helpful and courteous. The ocean view room had a balcony that overlooked the cliffs and we could hear the crashing of the waves throughout the night. .. With all of that said. . The bedspread and pillow cases were from 1967 and maybe not washed since.. we had to use our shirts over them so we didn't think about the critters etc. The shower was a little scary. . Needed a new shower head as I was afraid what might come out of it. Other than that. . Great trip! !

Date of stay: November 2014