See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 October 2015

Recently renovated, this older property is being upgraded. There are many listings for it, most with the wrong location. This place, built in the 40s, has sprawling grounds and lovely historical artifacts, as well as the historical significance of being built on the line dividing the Catholic mission districts between the north & the south of California.

They have a bar and two restaurants, one of which (Galeon) TripAdvisor won't review because it has no website. But the food in Galeon was excellent, especially the fish tacos.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
3  Thank bazi43
Reviewed 2 July 2015

My friend and I were in town having dinner when we met some people from out of town that were looking for the Hotel Calafia. I told them it would be easier to follow me there as I lived nearby. So they followed me there and they wanted to buy us drinks for helping them. We a whole hearty yes and followed them throughout the process of their check in for the room. The guy at the hotel desk was very nice, young but eager to help. They allowed our new found friends to check out different rooms hoping to get the best one with an ocean view. The first set of rooms he showed them had partial ocean views but you had to take this big haul out to the back 40 to get there. Mind you, our new friends were not spring chickens so our guy showed us rooms closer to the center of the hotel i.e. restaurant, art galleries, bars, etc. Also, their purpose for coming was to attend an upcoming wedding on that Saturday. When showing us the closer rooms, you could tell they had not been touched in many years, they were musty, tired and just plain old with NO air conditioning. Not to mention they were located near a nasty sewage smell that when sitting on the balcony you were sure to have it waft up your nostrils. Not pleasant at all. They went ahead and payed what I thought was way to much per night for 5 nights in cash because they do not take credit cards. Unbelievable.

Then we proceeded to the restaurant (bar was closed) to have drinks. Beautiful ocean bluff setting where we ordered 4 cocktails at $30. Right there and then, I said "guys, it's been about 9 years plus since I've been here and I remember why". They were over priced then and still continued to be after all these years. The waiter was really nice and asked if I'd like to see the menu, I said sure. And there was the other shoe drop. Great menu, gourmet style, but prices where almost twice as much as the other similar restaurants in town that get most the business. I mentioned to the waiter the differences and said this might be why they had not business. He said they are packed on the weekends but I suspect it is unknowing, first time tourists that didn't know any better since Calafia is a landmark in Rosarito.

After sitting there drinking my expensive cocktail, I said to my new friends who you could tell were not happy with their arrangements, I have a house right on the water in the campo where I live for $50 per night rather than the $80 per night they just paid to Calafia if they'd like that instead. They eagerly said YES! They went back to hotel desk, requested a refund in which case the nice young man complied.

In short, I believe the old Calafia has come to it's end of glory. Maybe if they get a reality dose and decide to bring the prices down, spend some money on updating the rooms, clean the trash up that's blown all over the sewage smelling bluffs, they might have a decent chance of resurrecting this fabulous location to it's former or newer, better glory.

Room Tip: Great place for weddings.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
3  Thank Kevin R
Reviewed 16 February 2015

My boyfriend and I wanted to have a weekend for Valentines day. While we were there wanted to check it out for a posible wedding venue for us to have our wedding. Let me Tell you that I was so disappointed and could never even think to have my friends and family come there. The first thing is there is the worst service and rooms. We checked in and someone brought us to our room,the door wouldn't open all the way and the ceiling fan was missing a blade so when we turned it on i felt it was going to come off of the ceiling and hurt us. My boyfriend went to the front desk and said we won't stay without a fan and at first they said there was nothing they could do they were booked. I even said i was willing to pay more for a better room. they said we have one more and took us to it. The fan in this room didn't work,omg, I thought. The sad thing is I had gone there before 10+ years ago and it was amazing, had only been there for there famous breakfast buffet,but walked around and it was so nice. Back to present time. We decided to stay cause our phones wouldn't work and there WiFi was down. We thought this will be ok we will have an amazing dinner and spend time together. WRONG! the dinner was a disaster, the food was 2 hours late. We were put at a table with 8 other people we didn't know like a wedding. This was part of this valentines package that we got. while we were waiting for dinner they asked this sweet older couple to move cause they said they were at a different table. We were like are you kidding there are many tables they don't have to move! They kept insisting they did, finally my boyfriend was like there not going to move and they left that alone till they asked us to MOVE our table closer to another table so they could put another table next to us. We did. Then the salad wasn't been cold it was wilted and half of the room were don't with theres and on the dinner before we got ours. Oh wait did i mention that dinner was over and hour late! While we were waiting there was a live band that was so loud you could even talk to the person next to you, So romantic! Finally dinner was served, gross!, I was so frustrated by that time i said to my boyfriend lets go to a taco stand in Rosarito. When we got back to our room and slept with our clothes on, cause the bed didn't look like it was that clean. We had to almost sleep on top of each other cause the bed was so old that it sagged in the middle. Ok we will get through this we thought and what a story. ha ha. middle of the night the neighbors were screaming! then morning. We had to go off site to get coffee cause they didn't have any, and the Buffet wasn't read till 9am. I bragged about this buffet i remembered how awesome it was! WRONG AGAIN! It was the worst, can't even tell you how bad. we just left and chalked it up to a couple hundred dollar lost! Please Don't stay here. its so bad! there wasn't even cups or ice for us in our room wan when we asked they didn't have any and the ice was going tot be delivered in like 2 hours! We went off site to get almost everything we needed

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hair1977
Reviewed 2 November 2014 via mobile

Amazing views! Great restaraunt with amazing views. . Staff was very helpful and courteous. The ocean view room had a balcony that overlooked the cliffs and we could hear the crashing of the waves throughout the night. .. With all of that said. . The bedspread and pillow cases were from 1967 and maybe not washed since.. we had to use our shirts over them so we didn't think about the critters etc. The shower was a little scary. . Needed a new shower head as I was afraid what might come out of it. Other than that. . Great trip! !

Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jennifer H
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We just returned from a three day trip down to Baja California. We stayed one night at the Newport Beach hotel which has combined with the Grand Baja resort in Puerto Nuevo. We had a view of both the ocean and the pool area. Room was not spectacular but it served the purpose. It was clean, the grounds were nice and the breakfast at the hotel restaurant was good. We weren't expecting a resort quality experience here as we have done this trip many times in the past. We TRAVELED down to Baja for a real Mexico experience. If you want the Mexican Resort Vacation experience... go to Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco or Cancun. If you want to experience real Mexico, go to Baja.

The next night we stayed at the Hotel Calafia. I have always wanted to stay at this place because the views are great! Now we have visited this hotel on past trips but never stayed. They had props from the "Titanic" movie on display such as a first class suite and furniture from the dining room set. They also had a wing of fossils and other exhibits. Now, sadly, all of that stuff is behind shuttered doors and not open. Business was slow this past week at Calafia, in fact, I believe that my wife and I were among maybe three other couples there. That's too bad. for the most part, the place still looks good, needs a paint job but the grounds looked good. Again, the room was not great but it served the purpose. We had an ocean view with a private balcony. If you have ever gone cruising, you have to set on the balcony and look at the water. That was what I did. I sat on my private balcony and just watched the water. We opened up the windows and let the sea breeze and the sound of the waves blow through the room. Mind you, this is not an all inclusive Mexican beach resort.. This is a clean, cheap hotel that only cost us $50.00 for a king bed and an incredible view. Our sole purpose on this trip was to get down to Puerto Nuevo to eat lobster at Lobster Village and get away from the California rat race for a while. These two hotels helped us do just that. In fact, we are already planning on returning to Calafia in November. I can't stress enough that this isn't a big fancy resort...It's a Mexican Motel Six but Motel Six is good for travelers. I have read reviews from people who absolutely hated Calafia. They were in search of a resort vacation and this definitely does not fit that bill. However, I would recommend either one of these places to people who just want a quick break from everyday stress and can overlook peeling paint and a leaning bannister. Below our room was a walkway that wound down the cliff to just above the surf. There is no beach by the way. Down there were two big covered patios, one looked like it had a grill in it, and another smaller gazebo with sun chairs in it. The place has potential!!! Lots of charm. The theme of the Hotel is centered around the California-New Mexico Mission system with different parts of the grounds named after a particular Mission. There are even three different Mission church replicas. Our room was one of the out buildings for the Mission San Diego De Acala. Each wing is a like a casita with tile floors and exposed wood beam ceilings. Go here if you want to experience real Mexico. The people are friendly and the food is good. As long as you have a clean safe place to sleep, what more could you ask?

Room Tip: ask for the ocean view. you wont be disappointed.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple