US$166
US$78
US$74
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Posada El Rey Sol(Ensenada)(Great Value!)
US$80
US$210
Cancelon
US$180
US$175
Corona Hotel & Spa(Ensenada)(Great Value!)
US$120
US$111
Cancelon
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 February 2015

My boyfriend and I wanted to have a weekend for Valentines day. While we were there wanted to check it out for a posible wedding venue for us to have our wedding. Let me Tell you that I was so disappointed and could never even think to have my friends and family come there. The first thing is there is the worst service and rooms. We checked in and someone brought us to our room,the door wouldn't open all the way and the ceiling fan was missing a blade so when we turned it on i felt it was going to come off of the ceiling and hurt us. My boyfriend went to the front desk and said we won't stay without a fan and at first they said there was nothing they could do they were booked. I even said i was willing to pay more for a better room. they said we have one more and took us to it. The fan in this room didn't work,omg, I thought. The sad thing is I had gone there before 10+ years ago and it was amazing, had only been there for there famous breakfast buffet,but walked around and it was so nice. Back to present time. We decided to stay cause our phones wouldn't work and there WiFi was down. We thought this will be ok we will have an amazing dinner and spend time together. WRONG! the dinner was a disaster, the food was 2 hours late. We were put at a table with 8 other people we didn't know like a wedding. This was part of this valentines package that we got. while we were waiting for dinner they asked this sweet older couple to move cause they said they were at a different table. We were like are you kidding there are many tables they don't have to move! They kept insisting they did, finally my boyfriend was like there not going to move and they left that alone till they asked us to MOVE our table closer to another table so they could put another table next to us. We did. Then the salad wasn't been cold it was wilted and half of the room were don't with theres and on the dinner before we got ours. Oh wait did i mention that dinner was over and hour late! While we were waiting there was a live band that was so loud you could even talk to the person next to you, So romantic! Finally dinner was served, gross!, I was so frustrated by that time i said to my boyfriend lets go to a taco stand in Rosarito. When we got back to our room and slept with our clothes on, cause the bed didn't look like it was that clean. We had to almost sleep on top of each other cause the bed was so old that it sagged in the middle. Ok we will get through this we thought and what a story. ha ha. middle of the night the neighbors were screaming! then morning. We had to go off site to get coffee cause they didn't have any, and the Buffet wasn't read till 9am. I bragged about this buffet i remembered how awesome it was! WRONG AGAIN! It was the worst, can't even tell you how bad. we just left and chalked it up to a couple hundred dollar lost! Please Don't stay here. its so bad! there wasn't even cups or ice for us in our room wan when we asked they didn't have any and the ice was going tot be delivered in like 2 hours! We went off site to get almost everything we needed

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hair1977
Reviewed 2 November 2014 via mobile

Amazing views! Great restaraunt with amazing views. . Staff was very helpful and courteous. The ocean view room had a balcony that overlooked the cliffs and we could hear the crashing of the waves throughout the night. .. With all of that said. . The bedspread and pillow cases were from 1967 and maybe not washed since.. we had to use our shirts over them so we didn't think about the critters etc. The shower was a little scary. . Needed a new shower head as I was afraid what might come out of it. Other than that. . Great trip! !

Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jennifer H
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We just returned from a three day trip down to Baja California. We stayed one night at the Newport Beach hotel which has combined with the Grand Baja resort in Puerto Nuevo. We had a view of both the ocean and the pool area. Room was not spectacular but it served the purpose. It was clean, the grounds were nice and the breakfast at the hotel restaurant was good. We weren't expecting a resort quality experience here as we have done this trip many times in the past. We TRAVELED down to Baja for a real Mexico experience. If you want the Mexican Resort Vacation experience... go to Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco or Cancun. If you want to experience real Mexico, go to Baja.

The next night we stayed at the Hotel Calafia. I have always wanted to stay at this place because the views are great! Now we have visited this hotel on past trips but never stayed. They had props from the "Titanic" movie on display such as a first class suite and furniture from the dining room set. They also had a wing of fossils and other exhibits. Now, sadly, all of that stuff is behind shuttered doors and not open. Business was slow this past week at Calafia, in fact, I believe that my wife and I were among maybe three other couples there. That's too bad. for the most part, the place still looks good, needs a paint job but the grounds looked good. Again, the room was not great but it served the purpose. We had an ocean view with a private balcony. If you have ever gone cruising, you have to set on the balcony and look at the water. That was what I did. I sat on my private balcony and just watched the water. We opened up the windows and let the sea breeze and the sound of the waves blow through the room. Mind you, this is not an all inclusive Mexican beach resort.. This is a clean, cheap hotel that only cost us $50.00 for a king bed and an incredible view. Our sole purpose on this trip was to get down to Puerto Nuevo to eat lobster at Lobster Village and get away from the California rat race for a while. These two hotels helped us do just that. In fact, we are already planning on returning to Calafia in November. I can't stress enough that this isn't a big fancy resort...It's a Mexican Motel Six but Motel Six is good for travelers. I have read reviews from people who absolutely hated Calafia. They were in search of a resort vacation and this definitely does not fit that bill. However, I would recommend either one of these places to people who just want a quick break from everyday stress and can overlook peeling paint and a leaning bannister. Below our room was a walkway that wound down the cliff to just above the surf. There is no beach by the way. Down there were two big covered patios, one looked like it had a grill in it, and another smaller gazebo with sun chairs in it. The place has potential!!! Lots of charm. The theme of the Hotel is centered around the California-New Mexico Mission system with different parts of the grounds named after a particular Mission. There are even three different Mission church replicas. Our room was one of the out buildings for the Mission San Diego De Acala. Each wing is a like a casita with tile floors and exposed wood beam ceilings. Go here if you want to experience real Mexico. The people are friendly and the food is good. As long as you have a clean safe place to sleep, what more could you ask?

Room Tip: ask for the ocean view. you wont be disappointed.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank werejrayz
Reviewed 17 January 2013

Always wanted to stop by and check out Calafia since I was a kid and finally did a few weeks ago. We stopped in to check it out and grab lunch on our way back to the states after a fun little surf trip with my wife. They had a few rooms open but everything else was closed and boarded up, it was in really bad shape. They said it may reopen if they find a new owner but doubt that will be anytime soon. The economy has really taken its toll down there. If you are heading north getting to Calafia is no easy feat and you will see the giant Jesus at least 4 times. I would recommend heading further south as it just gets better the further from TJ you get. Have a great safe trip!

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ando43
Reviewed 14 March 2011

This place is good for the budget travel or the student looking for a cheap getaway near Rosarito and Puerto Nuevo. It is about a hour and change from Ensenada, but it is a beautiful drive to that city. We paid about 35 USD a night for a full bed. That includes secure parking, but not much else.

I'd love to give this place more stars. It has charm, and beauty and a lot of the staff in the restaurant are great, but.....
1. There was litter around our room in the flower beds. We asked the guy at the front desk if he could send someone to handle it. He called but no one handled it.
2. Our neighbors were kind of loud into the early morning.
3. The full sized bed was really uncomfortable for two people. If I had to do it all over, I'd get a room with two beds.

Bear in mind, the price at this time was only about 35 a night, and that's right on the coast near Rosarito and Puerto Nuevo so it's a real bargain. The sea side of the hotel has some beautiful views of the Pacific.
I'd like to return and try another room. The room they put us in was a single bed close to the highway.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple