See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 January 2013

Always wanted to stop by and check out Calafia since I was a kid and finally did a few weeks ago. We stopped in to check it out and grab lunch on our way back to the states after a fun little surf trip with my wife. They had a few rooms open but everything else was closed and boarded up, it was in really bad shape. They said it may reopen if they find a new owner but doubt that will be anytime soon. The economy has really taken its toll down there. If you are heading north getting to Calafia is no easy feat and you will see the giant Jesus at least 4 times. I would recommend heading further south as it just gets better the further from TJ you get. Have a great safe trip!

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ando43
Reviewed 14 March 2011

This place is good for the budget travel or the student looking for a cheap getaway near Rosarito and Puerto Nuevo. It is about a hour and change from Ensenada, but it is a beautiful drive to that city. We paid about 35 USD a night for a full bed. That includes secure parking, but not much else.

I'd love to give this place more stars. It has charm, and beauty and a lot of the staff in the restaurant are great, but.....
1. There was litter around our room in the flower beds. We asked the guy at the front desk if he could send someone to handle it. He called but no one handled it.
2. Our neighbors were kind of loud into the early morning.
3. The full sized bed was really uncomfortable for two people. If I had to do it all over, I'd get a room with two beds.

Bear in mind, the price at this time was only about 35 a night, and that's right on the coast near Rosarito and Puerto Nuevo so it's a real bargain. The sea side of the hotel has some beautiful views of the Pacific.
I'd like to return and try another room. The room they put us in was a single bed close to the highway.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cmntob
Reviewed 9 February 2010

My husband and I booked our wedding (Renewing our Vows) at Hotel Calafia for May 2009. He received orders to deploy so we were unable to have it on that date. After June 2009 they required for everyone to have passports when going to Mexico... which most of my family do not have. We have already been married for three years this May and decided that we no longer need a large wedding and honestly dealing with Hotel Calafia has been the worst experience!

If there is anyone who is willing to take a chance with booking thier wedding at this location, let me know and maybe we can work something out and you can take our spot and we can arrange a price.

The location is beautiful, that is about the only good thing!

Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2009

I sympathize with the hotel guest that left bad reviews about hotel Calafia, when we went with my family and friends to a wedding back in 2006 we thought that it was going to be a nice stay, boy were we wrong, back then it was just as bad with the smell, and the sinks in the bathrooms were disgusting it wasn't worth the hundred dollars a nite we paid. I have to say the service was good but it didn't out weigh the conditions of the hotel, its such shame that it sits on a very beautiful site on a cliff where it over looks the ocean, the view is breath taking. You would think that they would have made improvements by now, but I guess not. For the viewer highly recommend that you look somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
1  Thank sands6798
Reviewed 19 February 2009

How do you begin to explain all the things that went wrong beginning with the refusal to honor the quoted reservation price at check in; it was doubled by the desk clerk who explained that the person who originally accepted my reservation and quoted the price was no longer working at the hotel? I was there for my niece's wedding family came from as far away as New Jersey and Long Island with their children to the 'RESORT'. At the time that we were there the pool only had green water in it as did the spa so subsequent notations about the rusty deck chairs are making me envious. A destination wedding shouldn't have horrible before the description. The film used by the photographer was old or damaged so none of the pictures came out, my niece was scrambling to see who brought a camera to the wedding so she could create an album of sorts. My niece's groom had his hand in his pocket all night paying for "add-ons" to the "all inclusive wedding package". One of the add ons was bottled water for the guests, drinks were included as long as you didn't want water, what does that tell you about the quality of the drinks. Trust me the photos on the website of the inside of the rooms are of some other hotel altogether. The location is/was beautiful and there is much that could be done to give guests a wonderful experience but they haven't done it.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family