All reviews great view dive shop upper town laura cats pets dust paradise surf sound habitat statia diving proximity hillside
Reviewed 20 November 2015

Very nice hosts. Very helpful and friendly. The hotel has great potential, but unfortunately the property is not taken well care of. The rooms are not clean. A positive note is that Wim cooks excellent food! The view on the Caribbean and on Saba as well as on the fort of Oranjestad is terrific

Stayed: November 2015
Reviewed 24 August 2015 via mobile

I've stayed with Laura and Win twice since 2008, most recently this month (Aug2015) with my partner. We had a wonderful stay.

The accommodations are comfortable and it feels just like home. Laura and Win are the most pleasant and welcoming hosts anyone could ask for.

We looked forward to our breakfast of fresh eggs and fruits every morning. The parrots and other pets only add to the loving and home-like atmosphere.

The views are absolutely stunning and I couldn't have asked for anything more to make my vacation wonderful and relaxing.

Compared to other accommodations on the island, Kings Well is the absolute best value. I'll never stay anywhere else when I visit.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leah C
Reviewed 24 August 2015

Kings Well is a fantastic and beautiful place to stay and Win and Laura's hospitality is simply amazing - and the two beautiful big Danes - Alex and Cheyenne - will welcome you utmost warmly.

Upon our arrival Win took the time to show us the island and his most favourite spots, and told us a lot about the island politics and history - and the problems of not being independent from the Dutch and how the economy is organised. This has simply been an excellent arrival and introduction to Statia! Win also drove us to the beginning on the Quill and the airport.

Win and Laura have built the place by their own with a great eye for detail. We stayed in the spatious apartment with kitchenette which has a fantastic terrace to overlook the beachfront, the quill and to watch the sunset or a roaming macaws visiting Win and Laura's macaws. The beach and great reef snorkelling is only a two minutes walk away, and for pool-lovers, there is a great pool in a beautiful garden surrounding.

Win and Laura are lovely and welcoming people with great stories to tell!

Room Tip: Ask for the spacious appartement with the terrace overlooking the beach!
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Angela W
Reviewed 5 May 2015

I choose this hotel because of the good reviews on tripadvisor. And yes the location is excellent in front of the beach, which might be the only one on Statia good for swimming. The town and harbour are both in walking distance. My room was large and the aircon was working very well. The bed was comfy (new matress I was told by the manager). The breakfast was nothing outstanding. I ate one evening and I found the food just okay and overpriced (the other night I went to SuperBurger in town, which was delicious). The kitchen of the hotel (which must be accessed if you want to pick-uo a drink, water etc.) is not very clean and there is a latent smell of the three large dogs. Overall I can recommend this hotel for one or two nights, but do not go if you a hygiene fanatic. And: The hotel price level is not on the cheap side. Tip: The excursion to the atlantic side of the island is worth renting a car.

Room Tip: with air con
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled solo
4  Thank Doffa
Reviewed 6 April 2015

When we go back we will stay in the same room again, remember that as you read the rest of the review. These innkeepers are elderly. They built the entire place pretty much with their own hands. The rooms are large and we had a great covered porch with a direct close view of the beach below us. The maintenance is amateur and the cleaning is lacking. There is Wifi, and hot running water and plenty of room. When I stay there next time I will start by cleaning and mopping my entire place. They try, but they are just old. Its like staying with elderly parents. Oh something else, its best if you love animals like we do. There are three lovable but huge Great Danes. There are friendly cats. There are large macaws, that fly great arcs about the porches and sometime land on the railing to have their picture taken. Your living in Tarzan's house. The owner cooks quite well in that in a former life they owned and ran a fashionable restaurant on Long Island, New York. Apparently the movers and shakers of America ate at their restaurant. They will feed you breakfast, lunch and dinner. No menu, just a question. "Who you like rib roast or flank stake for dinner. What kind of sauce would you like with that? Don't mind the cat, she likes to sleep on top of the refrigerator." The owners are lovely people. If you are tired of the high rise cookie cutter hotel, there aren't any on this island anyway, stay here. It's an adventure, it's memorable, and you like us may find that you love it.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple