Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Booking.comUS$77
eDreamsUS$77
Agoda.comUS$77
ZenHotels.com
StayForLong
All reviews backpackers lodge facilities walks scotland village lounge kettle
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 October 2017

OUR STAY: One night, private with two beds with shared bathrooms, two adults.
THE LOCATION: right in Drumnadrochit near all the services and close to Loch Ness. Quite a small village though. Parking available.
THE FACILITIES: Nice self-catering kitchen, but very small. We were able to cook food without encoutering any difficulties.
THE SERVICES: There is a bar services, with a huge selection of beers from craft breweries. Which is worth trying, and they are not too expensive.
MY COMMENTS: Place is nice, staff are nice, they take the time to explain to you everything that you can do in the area and they also answer all your questions. Place was clean. Except we could expect our room to be a little bit cleaner at our arrival since there was still littles traces of dirt (lot of hikers go there). Mains problems are : you have to go outside to access the shower and the toilets, and Scotland is a region that gets cold mostly year-round. And the bed was zero out of ten comfortable, like just moving in there you could hear all the bed springs getting stuck or releasing.
WOULD I STAY THERE AGAIN?: No. Although I'm satisfied, I'd go somewhere else that has a better comfort for the bed.

Room tip: Take some time to order and drink good beers there.
Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
pkipfmiller, Owner at Loch Ness Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2017

Thanks so much for leaving your very thorough review. We're glad that you were satisifed with your overall stay. However, we are very sorry to hear that you found the bed uncomofrtable. We will be reviewing all of our mattresses this winter and we greatly appreciate your feedback as that will allow us to identify any problems like tired mattresses.
We do have several buildings here as the facility was an 18th century farmhouse. Some of the rooms are converted and built from the original barns and stables. We understand that you found this inconvenient. However, we believe it is part of the charm and adds to the authenticity of a highland visit.
Great news you found time to enjoy our bar. We take great pride in procuring a vast variety of some of Scotland's finest brews and whiskys.
Also, we are very sorry if you found your room anything less than impeccably clean! We take our cleanliness very seriously and the team are gutted to hear that they might have missed something.
We wish you all the best!

Reviewed 17 October 2017

What can I say at my stay at Loch Ness Backpackers? I was sad to leave what felt like a neat little family made by the couple running the hostel and the international staff. I originally came for one night on the way from Edinburgh to Skye this October because another traveller had told me the staff was very friendly and helpful and that the attached bar had an amazing beer selection. It turns out that was all understatement. The guy who checked us in (Jake) was incredibly helpful, explaining all of the walks that were possible from the hostel and which ones were a short drive away. He gave us a thorough tour of the hostel facilities, introduced us to the other staff members, and answered every question we had about the area.

After checking out and traveling around Skye, I started traveling solo and returned to Loch Ness Backpackers largely because the enthusiasm for the area that the staff had conveyed had inspired me. When I returned, Amy, Lara and Josie answered my endless questions about walks and hikes around the Loch Ness and Glen Affric areas. Gemma even loaned me a pair of shoes when mine were wet!. I've really never been to a place with such friendly staff.

The hostel bar really does have some 70+ kinds of beer available, and Lauren and Kieron got me sorted with some great recommendations. I wound up staying 4 more days in Drumnadrochit because just when I thought I was ready to the leave the area, one of the staff members would make another. Something about the friendly staff seemed to be rubbing off on the other guests, because the other solo travelers seemed very keen to play games and share stories. The nights that I intended to spend reading in the cozy lounge were thwarted by making new friends.

The hostel is comfortable, cozy, has ample parking and a kitchen with everything you need. There are plenty of places to eat and hike within walking distance as well. Hostel breakfast costs 3.50 and I think it is worth it considering there were nuts and yogurt in addition to grains, toast and juice, unlike most of the other hostels I stayed at in Scotland. Coffee, tea and milk are free and available all day. The dorm rooms were typical for a budget hostel, but clean, with plenty of outlets and I didn't struggle to get a good night sleep. Laundry (wash, dry, fold) for 5 bucks also got me sorted to continue my travels.

Staying at this hostel really shaped my Scotland experience for the better and I would recommend it to anyone. Drumnadrochit isn't as hard to pronounce as you think! Stay here instead of Inverness - you won't regret it.

Thank you so much to the owners, Nikki and Patrick, and best wishes to your growing family! Hope to visit again before too long!

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
pkipfmiller, Manager at Loch Ness Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2017

Thansk so much for the lovely words. We will miss you as well and we thoroughly enjoyed your stay. It almost felt like you were ar part of our wee home here!
Your review means a lot to us and we hope that if the road ever brings you back this way that you will stop in and say hi!
Until we meet again,
Patrick, Nikki and the LNB Team

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

Stayed for two nights with party of nine. Handy location for access to many hills with clean and functional communal accommodation. Great to have a bar and wide range of beers. Kitchen and dining area good with great hosts. The only draw back and is in future plans to remedy is the lack of a drying room.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends

Cheers lads for the review. We host many a munro bagger and we're glad to hear you had a great stay with us. Heard loud and clear on the drying room. We are looking for new and creative ways to deal with this problem and we know it is important to our walkers.

We enjoyed your stay very much and are glad you found refuge in our wee bar!
We hope to see you again should there be any hills left near us that you have yet to conquer!

Happy Walking,

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Love this place! It's cute, well located, super friendly and love that it has its own bar. Great place to meet other guests and the staff have plenty of recommendations of places to visit on your stay.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family

Thanks for the cracking review! We really appreciate you sharing your positive experience with the world. Come back and see us any time. (We'll work on increasing our gin selection for you!)
All the best,

Reviewed 2 October 2017

Really enjoyed a one night stay here and would come back. We got a very warm welcome from the friendly and knowledgeable staff who advised on where we could eat and walk nearby. You can walk down to the shores of Loch Ness in about 30 mins through a nice woodland path but you may have to take your boots off and paddle through the river at the very end to get to the loch depending on how much rainfall there has been. All adds to the fun :) We stayed in a barn room which was basic but really clean. There were shared toilets and showers beside our room and again they were spotless. The wee bar is well stocked and worth a visit. Good clean communal kitchen and lovely wee lounge room too. Great budget accommodation.

Date of stay: September 2017