All reviews rum punch gorgeous island four poster low season new addition exceeded our expectations level of customer service firefly plantation her daughter hard work pre trip beautiful room an amazing experience many thanks makes you feel air conditioned turtle sanctuary
Reviewed 25 June 2015

Spring House was the perfect place for our getaway this past May! The location is privately tucked away on the island of Bequia and provides a wonderful destination experience. The house staff were helpful and accommodating for any needs we had, and our meals were always on time and amazing! The best part of our vacation was lounging by the pool and gazebo while enjoying the relaxing breeze. Would highly recommend Spring House for anyone looking for an authentic and luxury experience on the southern Caribbean islands.

Room Tip: private rooms with amazing views
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
SpringHouseBequia, Owner at Spring Hotel Bequia, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2015

Thank you for your kind review. The staff of Spring House Hotel Bequia and I appreciate you choosing to stay with us in Bequia. We know that travelers have many choices for their vacation experiences and we take it as an honour when they decide on Spring House. For the past several years we have taken pride in delivering a truly authentic Caribbean boutique hotel experience, far different from the mass market hotels that are to be found everywhere. At Spring House Hotel Bequia you will never have to bribe an attendant to hold a deck chair or compete with other guests for attention of the staff. We will know your name before you arrive and deliver personalized service until the moment you depart. We look forward to your return and hope that it will be soon.

Reviewed 23 June 2015

Bequia is a beautiful, peaceful and tranquil island; a perfect place to spend some time away from the hustle and bustle of life.

Getting to the island wasn't the best experience though, it was a rough ferry ride; not one to take if you suffer from sea sickness. The cost for the ferry is $25EC each way on either the Bequia Express or Admiral and journey time is approximately 1 hour.

When we arrived at Port Elizabeth we had no problem in finding Lawson from Spring House Bequia, the van is clearly marked and he was waiting just outside the exit area. The hotel is secluded, way up in the mountains so expect steep inclines and narrow roads in getting there. It took us less than 10 minutes from the port.

Spring House Hotel is a beautiful hotel.  Vanda, the cook showed us to our room, the Mustique Room which we were delighted with. The room opens onto a terrace which allows for a stunning view. Mustique room is spacious, tastefully decorated, clean and the bed was comfy.  The hotel is well laid out and is an architecture's dream; well designed and has great character.

An all inclusive plan is optional or if breakfast is already included in your package you can opt for just individual meals at the hotel or elsewhere. Dinner at the hotel is pricey and one of the comments I made for change to the manager was that there should be a menu listing choices and the prices. I asked several times the cost of the dinner and couldn't get a direct response until I got the bill a week later.

The hotel is a good ways from the beach but you can either rent a jeep or take the shuttle into the town at a cost of $5 EC per person each way. My husband and I love to hike so we didn't mind the 30-40 minute walk to and from the hotel. The beach area and the water is absolutely amazing so do make an effort to visit Princess Margaret bay and Lower beach.

We had some causes for concern and addressed them to Chris the owner/manager for which he assured me he will adhere to.

Before choosing a hotel in Bequia, I read quite a few reviews and was impressed with Spring House Hotel. I read a review that said the guests were met with welcome drinks, another said that the owner met them at the port. This is going above and beyond expectations I thought and I was so looking forward to our stay at Spring House.

The staff, Vanda, Nicky and Lawson were very accommodating. There were some oversights but I'm hoping they will be corrected with the feedback that I have offered.

I had expected that there would be some sort of reception and had hoped to see the manager there. Usually there is always a reception desk, a manager or concierge that we could go to in case we need to talk to someone.

There is an office but as it was low season and we were the only two people there, it was closed. I understand that Lawson lives in the house next door but we didn't see him after he took the cook home and being the only two people at the hotel, we felt isolated and alone.

After dinner we were told that if we needed anything else that we could just ask but there was no one to ask once Vanda had gone home. There was no phone and we were quite concerned that if something should happen we would not be able to get any help nor were we given any emergency numbers. We could find no listing in the room.

Before Lawson left to take Vanda home we asked to have the Jacuzzi set up since we hoped to relax in the tub for a while. It was set up but when we went in, we found the water to be cold and didn't know how to adjust the temperature. We waited around for almost two hours, hoping that Lawson would return. We eventually got tired and went to bed. The next day we saw the instructions in the bar area; this should have been pointed out to us.

Dinner was good; the home cooked feeling is a nice touch but I would have liked to have seen a menu, to have had a choice and definitely to see a price list. I asked three times how much the dinner would cost and Vanda wasn't sure. I finally got a quote of $55 EC but was charged $66 EC before the VAT and service charge. Also, as a vegetarian I needed to know before hand what is being served. For instance, I won't eat a rice dish that has any meat base in it or Jell-O which was our desert since it has gelatin. We were on a budget so it would have been nice to see a menu with a price list.

We couldn't get update information on upcoming events in Bequia. Brochures listing things we could do while there would have been helpful. WiFi is free and reception is strongest upstairs, we had problems getting access in our room.

The mosquito nets aren't just there for decoration, please use them since there are a few mosquitoes looking for fresh blood.

We could have used an ice bucket in the room and have some access to ice. We had a bottle of water in our room but the kitchen was locked and the water was warm. The kitchen wasn't opened until after 7:30 in the morning when Vanda returned to make breakfast. We would have loved to have had a cup of coffee earlier.

Since the reception office was closed, we did not receive a bill until after returning home. I would have appreciated having my bill before checking out; being given the opportunity to go over the items listed and the pricing before payment is made.

I could imagine that it would be fun staying at Spring House if there were other people there. I also would have felt safer knowing that I could reach someone if needed.

Room Tip: The Mustique Room has its own private terrace.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
SpringHouseBequia, Owner at Spring Hotel Bequia, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2015

Thank you for your review. We enjoyed having you stay with us and it is obvious from your many emails back and forth to me, both before and after your stay, that you had a good time.

You did have some observations and I believe that I addressed them all to your satisfaction. As we discussed by email, it is low season in Bequia this time of year and guests are few and far between. This is not because the weather is bad (it is pretty much the same all year around) but because the weather is good in the Northern Hemisphere and there is not the urgency to seek out warmer climates.

I am sorry that I was not there personally to greet you but both my staff and I use this time of year to take our own breaks after a busy winter season. This does lead to reduced staffing but, even with fewer guests to look after, we still leave adequate personnel on hand around the clock to run the hotel safely. Like most hotels in the off season we offer deep discounts to offset any inconvenience that you may have during your stay from not having every facility open and staffing at their peak season level.

Spring House Hotel is actually closer to the center of town than almost all other hotels on Bequia including Sugar Reef, French House, Bequia Beach Hotel, Sugar Apple Inn, etc.and less than a 6 minute drive. We also overlook the beach below. Our position affords us the warm tropical breezes which enhance your stay so much. Bequia is a hilly island with steep, twisty roads, so it would be fair to say that everywhere is on top of a hill and can seem 'way up in the mountains' to a first time guest. It is just the nature of the island. When I first went to Bequia I could not believe how steep some of the roads are or where some people built their house. These sites would be considered totally unacceptable in Europe or North America but it is how it is done on Caribbean islands and is part of the local charm.

As you say, we do have a reception office that is to the left of Lawson’s house by the main gate. This office is less than a 2 minute walk from your room. It is fully staffed day and night in season and we do now have an all night attendant to assist you year round. Based on past guest feedback, and due to the layout of the property, we decided to locate the office where it would not be intrusive. We just found that our guests wanted privacy in the evenings without the feeling that they were surrounded by local staff. Either way, we are always only a few steps away if there is any emergency or need. . Incidentally, I recently stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in the US and I was surprised to learn that they do not have any staff on duty at night!

We also used to put buckets of ice and water in each room with the afternoon turn-down service. Then I received feedback that some guests were unhappy with the ice because they could not be sure that it was made with bottled water. After that we put it in the guest kitchen which is open 24 hours, next to the gym, guest business office, notice boards, etc. This is a separate kitchen from the main commercial kitchen and is for guest use only. As an aside, I had our water tested in March this year and it was of a higher purity than the bottled water. The moral of this story is that it seems that no matter what we do there is always someone who will be unhappy, wants more for less, etc. I suppose that is just the nature of the hospitality business.

We rely on feedback from our guests to constantly improve our service in an ever changing world. The standards, wants, desires, demands, expectations and needs of today's traveler are very different from those just 10 years ago. Everyone expects that the product be tailor made for their individual wants and always at the lowest possible price. I understand that. The challenge for any hotel is to keep the customer and the accountants happy at the same time.

We very much hope that you will return soon.

Reviewed 20 June 2015

We spent only one night here during the off-season. Quite a deserted spot, with only 4 people there besides us. Room was very nice. Bed was comfortable and the sheets were fresh and clean. Kudos as well for providing quality linens! The only "non-issue" with the room was the shower, which could be adjusted only from scaldingly hot to hot. A rare problem as most places barely provide hot water.

The pool was welcomingly cool and kept extremely clean. Not too much chlorine either.

Breakfast, which was included, was pleasant and made to order.

Now, on to the not so positive.

At night, there is no one there. No staff. No way of leaving. Got an emergency? You're on your own at the top of hill and you're not walking distance to town in the pitch black. Oh, and when the staff leaves, they don't advise you of this. Also, if you are an early riser, you'll have no options for food, as the kitchen is locked (understandably so).

Be aware that if you request dinner during the off-season, it will be prepared for you cheerfully but you will pay for it dearly. $50 US each for shrimp dinner. Yes, they will say it includes VAT and tip but it is still quite a bit to spend per person.

The driver will take you into to town and presumably to other places, but inquire as to the price before, as his service is not included in your room rate.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank termnalvee
SpringHouseBequia, Owner at Spring Hotel Bequia, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2015

Thank you for the review. We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at Spring House Hotel Bequia. I am also sorry that you felt that you could only rate us as 3 stars, our first ever review at such a low level in over 10 years. However, I was not surprised due to your previous emails to me where it seemed like you were fishing for a refund. When this was not forthcoming, I suggest you resorted to a bad review as a way of revenge.

We have 24 hour staff on hand at Spring House Hotel. It is an absolute falsehood to say that there is no one there on site. In fact, a staff member lives permanently in a house on the estate and is available to deal with any contingencies or emergencies.

Our chef and kitchen staff come to work at 7 am, the same time as almost every hotel in the world. If you choose to rise before then we have a guest kitchen which is open 24 hours for your use. Breakfast was specifically EXCLUDED under the 60% off, low season, booking.com rate under which you stayed. However, we did not charge you for your full, made to order,breakfast (a $30 value) due to your concerns. Apparently this was not enough to assuage your pent up ire.

You also specifically requested a shrimp dinner with garlic sauce before you arrived. Shrimp are not found locally and had to ordered in advance from the mainland just for you. The chef and wait staff stayed on just for you and your wife. You had no complaint about the food, it's quality or service. only the price. We charged you $37 + VAT and tip which seemed reasonable seeing that the cost of getting the ingredients and the staff wages far exceed this amount. You obviously did not agree feeling that we should have taken an even bigger loss to try to please you.

Spring House Hotel is actually closer to the center of town than almost all other hotels on Bequia including Sugar Reef, French House, Bequia Beach Hotel, Sugar Apple Inn, etc.and less than a 6 minute drive. To say that it is an 'out of the way place' is incorrect. Bequia is also a hilly island with steep, twisty roads, so it would be fair to say that everywhere is on top of a hill - specifically chosen to maximize the tropical breezes. Except for the included initial and departure transfers, we ask for a EC$5 (US$2) donation towards a requested van ride, less than one would tip a hotel driver in the USA. We offer this service to save our guests the inconvenience of walking or ordering a taxi. The roads are dark at night, yes, but that is because there are few street lights.

I have been in this business for a long time as well as 30+ years in another professional career. I have found that, with both guests and clients, once they have determined to have a negative attitude about something there is almost no pleasing them. Even a 100% refund does not help to change their attitude. Hundreds of guests have stayed at Spring House and have had nothing but good to say. I suppose that since even Babe Ruth could not manage a 40% success rate and made the Hall of Fame, we should be proud of our 99% one.

Reviewed 26 May 2015

Their car picked us up at the airport and we were met at our "hotel" by a young man who had two glasses of fresh fruit punch on a tray for us. This was without a doubt the most beautiful lodging we've ever stayed in. Only 10 suites and each one just lovely. It would be a perfect honeymoon spot. The off season price was only $155 US. There is no restaurant; there is a cook and she prepared us two delicious meals, dinner and breakfast. Just a word of caution, the wonderful lobster dinner was $65 per person. I'm not saying it wasn't worth it, but it was higher than we expected. No complaints, though, the place is amazing.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Patty H
SpringHouseBequia, Owner at Spring Hotel Bequia, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2015

Thank you for your kind review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and very much hope that you will return soon. I don't want to seem like I am rebutting your observation but this answer is meant to be more by way of explanation: with regard to meals: as it is low season we operate with an in house chef rather than a full restaurant. In high season we offer a full menu. Please also note that the $65 lobster dinner (price adjusted seasonally to market price) included government mandated tax (VAT) and the gratuity.No other tipping is accepted. There were also no other extra charges for appetizers, salads, deserts, etc if you chose to have those..This would favorably equate to most menu prices in US restaurants. We also offer a variety of less expensive meal options.

Again, thank you very much for staying with us at Spring House Bequia and thank you for the recommendation. Chris

Reviewed 6 May 2015

From the first contact with Chris everything was just the most amazing experience. The weekend was arranged to perfection, even though we adjusted our booking, Chris was very accomodating. A Taxi was waiting for us at the airport in St Vincent and also when we reached Bequia Lawson was there to meet us, all arranged through Chris. We were greeted at the hotel by Vanda who is a real asset to the hotel and will do what ever she can to make your stay as enjoyable as possible....even getting the hot tub sorted so that I could ease my aching back. There are not enough superlatives to describe the hotel, you can tell that a lot of thought has gone into the layout and design which has paid off. From the murials and pictures to the textiles and furniture as well as the out of this world views, everything is truly stunning. I am very particular about bathrooms and it is the first thing I check out when I go into a hotel room and the one in the Mustique suite did not disappoint. Stylishly done with amazing shower, ample storage space and enough mirrors to catch you from every angle! The bed was incredibly comfortable set in a way so that you could catch the breeze which was a most welcome constant in the heat of the day...there was A/C in the room but I prefer natures version!!
Even though we did not have time to sample a range of Vanda's cooking the breakfast was very tasty so you could easily tell that anything else she served would be equally as good.
The hotel is just the perfect setting for a small wedding or family get together as well as being the place in Bequia to be if you just want to get away from it all.
My one complaint......my time there was just not long enough.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends