“Fab steak ”

Butterflies Bar & Kitchen
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Blaenavon
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Butterflies Restaurant is situated in the heart of the World Heritage Town of Blaenavon. We are proud to be a part of the Blaenavon story, we have Big Pit on our doorstep and Blaenavon Ironworks is within walking distance. Our food reflects our heritage with many local dishes - Welsh lamb is the best in the world after all. Our two restaurant areas both have unique features, The Cwtch has an log burner set in a 19th century fireplace and the Garden Room as the name suggests offers views onto the courtyard and large walled garden. Our garden offers a South facing terrace which becomes a sun trap during the summer months with our greenhouse packed with tomatoes, cucumbers, chilies and other delights to use in the kitchen.
Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

Enjoyed a lovely family meal tonight, staff were friendly and the atmosphere of the restaurant is very relaxing, perfect for a chilled evening meal. I had a 12oz sirloin as my main and it was one of the best steaks I’ve ever had, will definitely be visiting again!

1  Thank megannicola

Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

Sunday lunch is fantastic!!!! Evening meals are incredible and the staff are friendly and helpful... gorgeous surroundings

Reviewed 2 July 2018 via mobile

Second visit to Butterflies and I didn’t think I could love it more than I did the first time but I did!

The food is outstanding, staff are professional and efficient and the atmosphere is perfect.

I will keep coming back and trying everything on the menu.

I live an hour away from this place & it’s worth every mile.

Congrats on a fantastic restaurant guys

1  Thank Chris K
Reviewed 2 July 2018 via mobile

Very disappointed with meal at this restaurant. Didn't feel welcome. Two starters not available, fishcake (main) unavailable. Ordered duck - absolutely not worth the money - very small portions and flavourless. Lovely place to sit for a drink but would not return to eat

1  Thank Julie A
dayne-watkins, Owner at Butterflies Bar & Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2018

Hi Julie,

Thank you for your brief review, we take all reviews seriously as it continually helps us improve our business. We do sometimes run out of dishes on the menu as everything is cooked fresh and homemade. Lots of other restaurants keep quantities of stock backed up in freezers, we are not one of those.

I really don't understand your comments regarding the duck; the breasts are extra large (10 ounces to be exact) and are pan fried to seal in the flavour and juiciness, the dish as a whole is packed full of flavour from the coconut rice to the pineapple sauce - I suppose everything is a matter of opinion and maybe it just wasn't to your taste.

I find it a bit bizarre you only have one review on your account so I am a bit suspicious that this review is 100% genuine.

Regards

Dayne Watkins

Head chef & owner

Reviewed 1 July 2018 via mobile

After reading the rave reviews we thought we could not go wrong! To be honest it was okay and reasonably priced. The pie we had like most places was a flaky pastry top. Some we underdone. The service was a little hit and miss and there was a weird delay with desserts. The ping of a microwave is always an omen that makes us anxious. But the price was reasonable so in some ways go with the knowledge that it will be an okay meal for a reasonable price. For us the place was a little grubby and it’s location put us off. We would not go back.