All reviews raglan castle sunday lunch whitebait two courses dover sole waiting staff new owners sea bass roast beef well worth a visit birthday celebration old coaching inn enjoyable lunch cooked to perfection excellent value for money wine list beaufort
Reviewed 5 October 2017 via mobile

I gather this has recently changed ownership and although we cannot comment on changes as it’s been 40 years since our last visit, this must now be one of Gwent’s most popular eateries and I am not surprised!
The breadth of the menu offering was spectacular and has something for all tastes (and budgets!), add to the mix a very comfortable environment and enthusiastic, professional waiting staff and the result is superb!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Had an evening meal in a large group on a Saturday night. The place was very busy but we didn't have to wait long to be seated. Friendly service and everyone enjoyed their meals and drinks. Many of us chose from the 2 for £18 board which was good value. Would recommend if in the area.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

We went at lunch for a special anniversary

There were many positives to our visit
- I had the sea bass main which was huge and excellent- but did cost £21
- my partner had swordfish and said it was the best he had eaten for years
- we shared the scallop starter which had three very large juicy scallops

The not so good points were
- the veg( which we needed to pay extra for) were presented on cold dishes and were hardly warm when arrived
- the puddings were disappointing. I think they were all prepared for the waiting staff to serve from the glass cabinet
- the waitresses were working very hard but a little lacking in some areas and a little abrupt at times
- the drinks were a little expensive
- we were sat in the back part of the hotel and the table we sat on felt very cramped and my chair was touching the next tables chairs

It was obvious that the chef can cook amazing fish, but at nearly £80 for a lunch it was not perfect.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2017

We called in, without a reservation, Wednesday lunchtime. The dining area was full. We were seated in another area for 10 minutes while they prepared a table for us.
We ate from the 2 course for £12.50 menu. My wife had carrot and ginger soup followed by a whole sea bream and I had whitebait and chicken in a chorizo casserole.
Everything was delicious, the service was prompt and very friendly.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Beaufort, but it's worth phoning ahead to book a table

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2017

An unplanned visit for lunch. We got the last available table . We wee greeted and settled at our table with a drink. Two set lunch menus. Despite being busy we were served promptly with good imaginative food and plenty of it. My starter was ample and beautifully presented as was my main. No room for dessert ! Nice surroundings, nice atmosphere , good value. I suggest booking it was busy.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family