All reviews fish liz bain alton habitat boats bone resort
Reviewed 1 April 2011

This is our fifth year back at Mangrove Cay Club and we are planning to come back again next year. My wife and I love fly fishing, but we also like to combine it with excellent lodging and food and that is what Mangrove Cay Club provides. Liz and Alton Bain, the owners, are the consummate hosts. The guides are knowledgeable and know how to find you fish. Iyke Moore, the chef, is fantastic. If you want to experience the best in bone fly fishing, this is the place to go.

Tom & Gayle

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thomas_sherry
Reviewed 2 August 2009

I have spent several weeks at Mangrove Cay Club fishing , starting in the late 90's. Traditionally I use this as a winter break getting out of Virginia during February or March.

First of all let me tell about the accomodations. The rooms are well sized all with twin queen beds, a sitting area and a large walk in shower. Off the back of each room is a deck that overlooks the Middle Bight of Andros, a large beautiful expanse of light blue water.

The main lodge is very comfortable with a well stock bar, a large gathering area where people congregate for a cocktail or two and to compare notes about their day fishing. The dining room is attached and has a very comfortable arrangement with two large teak dining table, each holding 10-12 people. The wall are covered with maps of the Bahamas, several trophy size bonefish, and some picture from well know artist. All very well done. None of this is as important as the food that Chef Ike prepares. Every year he seems to get better and better. Without going into detail let me just say that this is not traditonal lodge food but the kind of dinner you look forward to going out for in any large urban setting.

The best reason of course to come to Mangrove Cay is the fishing. I have had weeks in the winter when the weather was poor, winds blowing, raining and very poor fishing just as you would anywhere. I have also had times I have had twenty bonefish to the boat before lunch. There is a huge expanse of water to fish so the guides can always put you into the lee. The island is so large that the tides on the east are very different from the west, offering opportunities to fish incoming or out going tides on both side of the cay.
The fish are good sized on average, much larger then Mexico. All in all a tremendous fishery with on average very good guides. I have only had one experience with a rookie guide and he still knew the island so well that we caught fish.

The last word but not the least is the management. Liz Baine, the manager since inception can do no wrong in my eyes. She is very accomodating to all whether returning guest or first timers.

In closing I can say that it is not a cheap week for most people with tipping, etc but it is consistently the best vacation experiences that I have had. But remember that first of all this is a world class bonefish lodge.

ksdkjlm@gmail.com