All reviews great house breakfast basket golf cart private island cottage suite every morning four seasons spa treatments fish picnic basket afternoon cookies rum punch other guests beach bungalow glass floor fresh cookies little things
Reviewed 16 August 2017

Truly one of the gems of the Bahamas!

It is the perfect getaway from your busy life. Whether you want to just relax by the pool, sit on a beautiful sandy beach with views of the ocean that don't stop or come to go fishing, snorkeling or other sporting, you can't go wrong.

A feel of island rustic chic in all of the rooms, but waking up and opening your doors to the ocean is like nothing else.

We have a two year old child and even she loves it every time we go. You can take out kayaks, ride bikes or just let the kids roam with all the open beach! The kitchen is very flexible for you parents worrying about what your child will eat. They can make whatever you need.

David and Michael are always the most elegant of hosts. You feel like you are a personal VIP guest of theirs the moment you arrive.

Oh and make sure you don't miss their Kamalame Cay Luncheon dates. They happen about once a month and are the hottest ticket in the Bahamas. A beautiful family style table set up, locally caught fish, local garden grown veggies, prepared in large sharing dishes with up to 80 people from all walks of life! All of that paired with some amazing wines and rums lead to one fun boozy day!

My wife and I can't say enough about this place, so if you were on the fence, jump to it!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank kcj21
Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

We visited kamalame (pronounced ka-mall-a-may) with virtually no notice on a whim. It was one of the best decisions made in years regarding travel. We have extensively travelled the Bahamas and even own property in the Abacos. This experience was in summary the perfect "5 star out island retreat." You have enough service, balanced with privacy, to perfectly supply an environment to enjoy a very private and enjoyable retreat. My wife and I were looking for a couples getaway w/ out the kids and this was absolutely perfect for us. Unplug and enjoy.

Upon arrival you are greeted by friendly staff, cocktails and a very short ferry ride to the private island retreat. The grounds as a whole are very well maintained and all staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. I don't want to spoil some of the beauties you'll encounter as you get through the casual check in process and start exploring but, I'll say if you're looking for any of the following, just book it: a beautiful secluded island romantic getaway, a high-end bonefish lodge, beautiful remote dive or snorkeling destination, a place to unplug and enjoy an island paradise.

Quick mentions: The residences are very well appointed and beautiful, the oceanfront bungalows are the honest best value experience I've ever had on the high end side of island travel and are also beautiful. Breakfast baskets delivered to your door are fresh and tasty, food and staff at the great house are all far above good for island experiences, pool is great, beach is epic, self serve bar is complete and ample, spa beautiful w/ great availability, golf carts, bikes and kayaks all great. Paddle boards were in terrible shape and need replacement as do some paddles. I'd say the only area the place lacked for us was in the paddle board equipment area which was a big disappointment for us as we were looking for a nice opportunity for exercise paddling about.

We plan to return with our own boat (and Paddleboards) next year. There is a small marina suitable for large outboards or shallow draft inboard vessels.

Fishing: bonefishing, Spearfishing and offshore fishing is available through local guides booked through the lodge. All fishing in the area is excellent but bonefishing is truly world renown and a highlight.

I've loaded some photos that depict the beauty I think. Check them out too. Enjoy.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank FlyboyTraveler
Reviewed 3 August 2017

This is a wonderful place: the house at which we stayed was really lovely, the food was exceptional, the service and welcome were excellent. It is a place where one leaves the cares and stresses of the outside world behind, brilliant for couples, and for those seeking quiet and luxurious vacations. The disappointments were (i) the absence of wifi elsewhere than at reception: having said that this was a wonderful place to leave everything behind, there are nevertheless occasions when one needs internet access to the outside world and this is not readily provided; and (ii) slightly more seriously, the beach is not the greatest in the world (compare Highbourne Cay, which, I see, does not feature at all on Tripadvisor) and nor is the pool. The importance of the latter is accentuated by the significance of the former. The pool needs to be updated and improved before I would give this otherwise wonderful place an "Excellent" review. Having said that, I would be delighted to go back because all the other aspects of this island are just exceptional.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
4  Thank GvKl
Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

Amazing getaway for couples! It is a little like planes, trains and automobiles to get there but well worth it! We flew into Nassau on Bahamair and then got a private flight on Dove air ( due to the fact that we arrived early and the next public flight wasn't until 3:30) to Andros. Upon arriving in Fresh Creek on Andros, a taxi took us on, terrible roads, about a 20 min drive to the dock where the ferry picked us up. The ferry trip is just long enough to sip a Sampson Special rum cocktail... amazing!

The golf cart picks u up at the dock and once you are checked in at the office, you get your own golf cart to follow them to your bungalow. It was so amazing and opened up to a short sandy path, framed with palm trees, to the beach. Humming birds everywhere, friendly people and wonderful food! Also the bars were self serve honor bars, although often someone was there to assist you. One of my favorite things was the breakfast basket delivered every morning by 7 with fresh squeezed oj, coffee, croissants( chocolate chip were yummy) hard boiled eggs, and fruit or yogurt. So spoiled... I miss that at home:) we did kayak but mostly just relaxed. No tv, wifi limited to office... wonderful to disconnect!

Highly recommend!

Only things needing improvement... biting horseflies and even though they fog every morning, the mosquitos were still a little issue but it was the rainy season.

The spa was a cool thatched roof building on the water at the end of a dock. The couples massage however was in adjoining rooms not next to each other which was unexpected. The cut out glass window on the floor under your head also showed no sealife, which was disappointing.

We did see a 6 foot shark about 10 feet off shore at about 7pm which was so cool!

The flight back to Nassau was on LeAir which was fine.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lori H
Reviewed 16 July 2017

I had no expectations when arriving at Kamalame Cay although I had seen the many designations the resort received from various travel magazines. My husband and I went over for the weekend to celebrate our anniversary.

It is a stunning property, having achieved the perfect blend of minimalistic natural luxury. We had the "Guest of House" package which was an added value to our trip as we were able to eat and drink whatever we liked on property. The food at the Great House is fantastic and all the servers were very helpful and friendly.

Our bungalow was gorgeous and faced an endless beach that was private and secluded. The minibar was well appointed and the morning breakfast basket was a great touch (as was the outdoor shower). There is no TV or wifi which is awesome, as the Bose speaker provided was all we needed.

We roamed the property on the golf cart, went kayaking, went to the spa, had a long walk on the beach and even had a private picnic that was provided by the Great House. Leah, one of the staff members at the resort, was absolutely amazing from beginning to end. She made us feel welcomed from our arrival and really went out of her way to make sure our trip was special. I adore this place and can't wait to get back.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple