All reviews dive staff shark dive conch fritters andros island blue hole jeff birch other guests hot tub dive resort great diving new friends laid back fish family atmosphere buffet style experienced divers ping pong
Reviewed 11 May 2017

This was our third trip to small hope bay lodge, and we were not disappointed. The lodge is comfortable and the food is amazing. The views are beautiful. We went for the bone fishing, and our guide Glaister was excellent. We caught numerous big bonefish each day. The day starts with breakfast, anything you want, and as mush as you want. The lodge packs an amazing lunch with lunch meats cheeses all the condiments, and dessert from the previous nights dinner. They you go to the bar, and pack all the beers, sodas etc that you want. We spent each day on fresh creek, and at 4:30 we would head back to the lodge. Cocktails at the outside bar along the ocean, appetizers, and the chef would come out and tell all the guests, the nights menu. My favorite is Lobster and ribeye steaks with home made rices, salads, home made soups, and home made desserts. But whatever the dinner is, it's amazing. Wine with dinner, then watch that days dives inside in the TV room. Small Hope Bay lodge is never a disappointment, and the staff is top notch.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank DamienandSyd
Erin S, Marketing Ninja at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2017

Thanks very much for the review! It was wonderful having you two back again. I am happy your bonefishing was top notch again. Our guides are fantastic! I agree - our food is so tasty and fresh. We look forward too seeing you back again for more of the same!

Reviewed 8 May 2017

The excellent diving and fishing are just a bonus. The staff is what makes this place, as well as the 5 star community dining. If you need family time, away from iPads and Netflix, this is the place to get your family back. I have been 3 times now, and planning my next trip soon. Kudos to Jeff, Jordi, Fedi, Jay, Dennis, Brie, and many others on a way of life in making every guest feel like you are their family. See you soon!!

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank 805jason
Erin S, Marketing Ninja at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2017

Thanks very much for the great review! It was wonderful having you back again for some more excellent diving and fishing. I agree - getting away and really disconnecting sets Small Hope apart from the rest. Thank you for your praise of our staff. They are the best staff in the Bahamas! We can't wait to see you back again soon!

Reviewed 26 April 2017 via mobile

My mom and I stayed here for 4 nights. I was diving and she was relaxing. I was impressed from the beginning because they were always in communication with me and could answer my questions. They wanted to give us the vacation that we wanted.

Admittedly I was a little concerned about the price, because it is on the expensive side. However, once you are there and you don't have a care in the world, you don't have to get out your wallet, and everyone knows you, it's totally worth it. I think the thing that made it the most worth it was the amount of staff they had. There were always a few people around to answer questions or help with what you needed.

We unfortunately didn't have the best weather. It was very windy and overcast for a lot of the time we were there. But we made it work! The dives still went out every day and we could still read on the beach.

The diving was great too. They asked everyone which dive sites they really wanted to go to and then made the effort to get to those sites while you were there. I got to go to 3 of the four that I wanted. Weather played a big role because we had so much wind. But it was so great because they had a big book describing all the dive sites and what you might see. I already had an idea because I chose this place based on the diving. The shark dive was also really neat. Much much better than the one I went to on Nassau. I really didn't enjoy that one at all (hand feeding sharks - making a spectacle of them).

We also enjoyed using the kayaks - Davis creek was nice!

And the food! So good! It was all homemade. If you had an allergy or specialty diet they would cater to you but there was definitely something for everyone. There were also 3 selections of white wine and 3 selections of red wine, plus after 3 there was a "bartender" everyday making fun drinks.

Very family friendly - a few families when we were there. All the meals were done buffet style and you ate with other people and staff and got to know everyone which we really liked, but it's not for everyone.

The cabins and lodge are a little rustic. We stayed in one with twin beds, very basic. The bathroom was really small. There were outdoor showers which were great. There is good hot water. The power went out once after a storm but they have a generator so we didn't even know until after.

The staff was really what made this place so awesome. We had a disappointing moment when we thought we weren't going to get to go to the batik store or factory which is what we really wanted to do there (besides dive) because despite telling them on the nightly activity rounds, no one told us that the factory wasn't open weekends and the store closed early on Saturday. BUT on Saturday afternoon at 1:50 Casey made sure the store stayed open for us so we got to go and Sunday morning Brian obtained the keys so we got to go check out the factory. It was so awesome and we appreciated it so much! Everyone was so nice and helpful. Would definitely stay here again and highly recommend!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Erin S, Marketing Ninja at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2017

Thanks for the fabulous review! I am so happy you and your mom had a lovely stay with us. Thanks so much for the compliments to our staff - they really are fantastic! I am glad you were able to enjoy so much during your stay - diving, food, kayaking, relaxing, and even seeing the batik factory - despite the weather. Come and see us again soon!

Reviewed 18 April 2017

Highly recommend this resort! We truly felt like we were visiting a friend's beach house, feels off the beaten path and AMAZING beach and views. The staff made us feel at home and took care of us like we were guests in their home. We loved it! No pressure to do any activities and we enjoyed getting to know the other guests and the staff.

Room tip: They will tell you to spray down the screens with the bugspray provided before bed but just wanted to reiterate here :)
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Erin S, Marketing Ninja at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2017

Thanks very much for that lovely review! I am so happy you enjoyed the relaxation and comfortable atmosphere here. There are plenty of activities for those so inclined, as well as plenty of hammocks for those wanting to unwind! We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 16 April 2017

If you are looking for an authentic, off the grid experience for your Caribbean Vacation, there is no better place than Small Hope! We loved this resort for many reasons but my favorite aspect of this vacation was that you could do as much or as little as you want here.

Our mornings were action packed with kayaking mangroves, jumping into Blue Holes, bike riding and then spent the afternoon in a hammock on a dock with a book. The diving was incredible, the day we arrived there was a Humpback Whale and the next day dolphins swam up during our late afternoon dive. Andros is the absolute antithesis of Nassau & Atlantis!

The resort was all-inclusive so we never felt nickel and dimed. Staff were attentive and friendly, very clean rooms/cabins right on the ocean and the food was phenomenal. Loved the group dining atmosphere as well.

Thank you Jeff, Terran, Bri, Erin & Fedi for an amazing vacation that was long overdue! Can't wait to come back with my daughters next time.

Room tip: Newly renovated cabins are super cute!
Date of stay: March 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for that wonderful review! I am so happy you had a fantastic vacation with us. We truly are an off-the-beaten-track experience, and it's great that we got to share that with you. And a whale and dolphins are pretty spectacular too! We look forward to seeing you again!!!