US$170
US$106
US$365
US$179
  • Pool
Dundee Bay Villas(Freeport)(Great Value!)
US$172
Orbitz.com
US$122
US$114
Dolphin Cove(Freeport)
US$210
Bell Channel Inn(Freeport)(Great Value!)
US$160
US$124
Priceline
US$111
US$151
TripAdvisor
US$343
4,995 results
All reviewsviva cafeanimation staffnightly showslasagnanachoskids clubtrapeze lessonsstar resorta la carte restaurantsping pongwater shoespaddle boardsbad reviewseither directionbanana bayafter reading the reviewsplenty of chairs
Reviewed 18 March 2007

We booked this adventure through [----] and all I can say is that web-site is adequately named! When we first arrived at the Wyndham, we so thrilled to be in the Bahamas, away from the cold & snow and to see Beach that we were looking at the world through rose colored sunglasses! Our rooms were about as far away from the main Hotel that you could get without paying cab fare =) but hey, a little extra walking while on vacation means a couple of extra guilt-free calories later. The locks on both of our rooms (our three cherubs were also vay-caying with us) were questionable and the doors themselves looked as though they had gone a couple of rounds with Mohammed Ali. One room wasn't quite ready yet and as we walked around our domain, I began to wonder when the last time it had been cleaned,.......there were crumbs under the beds. rust on the INSIDE of the room size fridges (which can't be easy to do), the bathroom appeared to be the first original bathroom ever built on the island and clean is not an adjective I would use. There were slanted shutters on the outside of our one window which did not close and those same shutters were also in the bathroom and IN THE SHOWER STALL giving you a bird's eye view of the common hallway used by all our neighbors. But hey, we were in the Bahamas! We hopped into a cab and headed to downtown Lucaya to do some exploring as for some reason, the public bus does not stop at this resort. Hmmmmmmmm. Phone callers to our Room were told everything from we had not checked in yet, to we had already checked out to simply being left on hold or disconnected. The only meal that we ate at the Viva Wyndham was breakfast the next morning, (none of the on-site restaurants open for dinner until 6 PM) Off to the Breakfast Buffet; with the exception of two pitchers of real OJ,which I never saw refilled, all of the juices come from dispensing machines which I thought could be intriguing. My girls had yellow juice (we think it was meant to be Orange) and Pink Juice (which once upon a time was a cranberry by-product) Everything was watered down so I opted for a banana and bottled H2O. A bus person was making his way down the stairs and dropped a third of his over-laden tray right at our feet.! I've done the waitressing thing myself and really felt for the guy, but then no-one else wanted to clean up a mess they didn't create (kinda like home!) We cleared the glass away from under our table, on our table and off of our food dishes and hightailed it back to our room feeling that we had gone in search of Fanatasy Island and ended up on Gilligan's =) My neice and her fiance' came over to grab an eyeful of where we were staying and said neice was on our Lanai/ Balcony filming our room et al with my 5 year old standing beside her when a local yocal came right up from the beach and shared with us that if we were looking for any drugs, he was "de mon" to see. As we continued to film him, he repeated his Business offer. Needless to say, we called the Front Desk and informed them we were checking outta Hotel Hades and into the Sheraton. The staff would not allow us to check out or call a cab until I filled out some paperwork. At this point, our Guest Services Member, who had spent the past 21 hours being our best friend in hopes of getting us to sit down and listen to the Vacation Sales (not to be mistaken for a time-share spiel) literally turned her back on us, which is fine as then she had privilege viewing of the 30 plus Spring Breakers partying in the hot tub as the bar had just opened. Off to the Sheraton we went and our vacation was then almost everything we had hoped for. FYI just because it says it's a Wyndham doesn't mean that it is. Once we returned home, I followed up with both [----] AND the Wyndham and learned that although they carry the Wyndham name and logo, Viva Fortuna Beach is independantly owned and operated. As the saying goes, buyer beware!

Stayed: February 2007
5  Thank onthebeachNHSeacoast
Reviewed 15 March 2007

The property is nice...there is a nice size pool and easy access to the beach...But the rooms were NOT that great! It felt like a low budget motel room... The bathroom was old and our toilet kept running water...

ALSO, the food was terrible..i think that if you are staying at an all Inclusive Resort..you need to enjoy the food...Unfortunately, you won't get it at Viva Fortuna...There is a main restaurant that serves Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner (Buffet style) and the food was horrible. Overcooked and salty and overall did not taste good. Viva Fortuna offers two restaurants which you need to make reservations. I was expecting something nice since reservations were necessary. Boy was I disappointed. There is a Chinese Restaurant on the property and they should really get rid of it...The cook does not know how to prepare Chinese Food...ABSOLUTELY Yuck! There is an Italian Restaurant on site as well...and that wasn't great either...Overall my eating experience at Viva was horrible...

I would not recommend this place!!! Don't be deceived by the photos that are online!!!

Stayed: March 2007
3  Thank ECNJ07
Reviewed 14 March 2007

My wife and I did our Honeymoon at this resort. The trip was given to us as a gift from her parents. The only bad thing was courtesy of the U.S. Government. They went and changed the passport requirements just 3 days before we left so we couldnt fly directly there. It was ok though, we took a cruise ship from Ft Lauderdale and it was very nice. However, because of the change in travel plans, we got to the resort 2 days late, staying for a week total.

When we got to check in, the staff was wonderful. Due to the change in our plans, they even cut our price in almost half. Once we checked in, and got to the room, another pleasant surprise. The room was clean and well maintained. Beds were large and comfortable. Much more than we expected.

The food was absolutely amazing. Normally I have a hard time getting my wife to eat much of anything. She is not only picky, but weighs only 110 pounds so she doesnt eat much. However, she just couldnt get enough of the food here. Their BBQ Ribs were amazing!! They also serve Burgers, Hotdogs and sandwiches in the bar on the beach during the day and Pizza at the Italian place after hours. We never got around to trying the Chinese place :(

The beach was clean and beautiful. Nice, soft sand, gentle breezes. Plenty of places to sit and relax. My wife was even able to go topless on the beach to tan. This is allowed, you just have to cover up if you go up to the bar or back to the resort area. We found all kinds of neat sea life, though the Sea Gulls were annoying at times.

The entertainment was amazing. Those people are terrific. You MUST see their show each night. The other guests were all extremely friendly and fun. Since we were Honeymooning, we were even given some Rum and Champaigne and a fruit basket and such. Overall, I dont know how our honeymoon could have been any better. Don't listen to the negative reviews on this resort. Those people are expecting $5,000 service for a $1,000 price tag.

P.S. When going to the bars, look for Alexander. He makes the BEST drinks! Ask him for the "Big Al" drink. You'll love it. Oh, and tip your bartenders. They deserve it.

Stayed: January 2007
10  Thank skywize
Reviewed 13 March 2007

We had the greatest time at Viva Wyndham Resort in Freeport, on Grand Bahama Island. The reviews we read before going were mixed, but we found that the resort was highly under-rated. The staff was fabulous, the meals were plentiful and quite good. There was something to do there all the time... It was the most enjoyable trip! Without hesitation, we will go back!!

5  Thank PBMAC
Reviewed 12 March 2007

Oh, where do I start? I booked this trip through RCI. I've used RCI numerous times and have never stayed at a bad place. After booking the trip I started reading the reviews and noticed the large number of bad ones. Knowing that people can complain about anything and can be overly picky I ignored them. I mean what can be so bad, you're in The Bahamas right??? Wrong!!
We pulled up to the hotel and noticed right away that it was extremely run down. After check in we went to our room and it was horrible. Yes, it's dated, but that's not a big deal to me. However, cleanliness is important to me. The floor was dirty, the beds horrible and the bathroom was nasty. Let's just say that we both wore flip flops in the shower. After dealing with the room we decided to make the best of it. Unfortunately, the spring breakers made this difficult. I knew it would be spring break, but I didn't know they'd be so rude or out of control. These kids were rude to the staff, yelling constant profanity in front of children, overtaking the hot tub by loading it up with fifty people and doing belly flops, and so on. The next day we went right into town and booked a room at Pelican Bay for the second half of the week since that was all we could afford. Thankfully we got the unused portion back because we payed at check in. And I knew it was worth moving when the night before we left some young man threw a plastic cup right at our table as we were trying to enjoy a drink. I know some may say that the spring breakers are not the hotel's fault, but I saw no effort on the part of the hotel to try to control these kids, even at 5am when they were having parties on the balconies of their rooms and blaring music. Unacceptable.
By the way, Pelican Bay is a lovely place and highly recommended.
Feel free to email me with questions.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with friends