5,166 results
All reviews viva cafe animation staff nightly shows lasagna nachos star resort dance lessons kids club a la carte restaurants ping pong water shoes paddle boards either direction negative reviews banana bay plenty of chairs a lot of fun
Reviewed 23 August 2011

My boyfriend and I booked an all inclusive vacation at the Viva Wyndham in Freeport on Grand Bahama Island, to say the least we were disappointed. We arrived at the resort 15 minutes prior to our check in time. When we gave them our information they were unable to locate any of our paper work in the baskets that they had the arriving guests information. One of the people from the front desk staff went to the back room and came back out with our information. Then they said we had to wait the 15 minutes until 3pm to check in. This resort does not serve any welcome drinks that I had experienced in other all inclusive resorts which are much appreciated when you are made to wait for a room that should have been ready for you, especially when check out is at 11am and that gives the cleaning staff 4 hours to clean the rooms and prepare them for the next guest. (which might I add, with the room condition it should not take more than 10 minutes to prepare a room) So at 3pm, I went back up to the front desk to see if we can have our room key now and check in, they said no, our room was not ready yet and we will have to wait. So at 3:10pm I went back up to the desk and was told that the room is still not ready, it should be done shortly. When I walked back over to my boyfriend I see that he is filling out paperwork because one of the workers is saying he should sit through a 90 minute presentation so he can get free gifts and she can get a commission. At about 3:20 my boyfriend was aggravated and went to the front desk himself and was finally given the room key. We did not even get so much as an apology for our wait.
Much to our surprise, this "all-inclusive" resort does not have bag service. So we had to carry our own luggage to the room. So we had to walk to the back of the resort and up to the second floor with our own bags, no help whatsoever. However, on our walk to the room we were able to see how much of a dump this resort really was. Not one of the pictures of the Viva Wyndham that I viewed online matched up to anything I saw at this place. The grounds are far from taken care of. The grass is dead and spotted, the flowers were scarce, the walkways were old, cracked and broken and the view from our "Superior Garden View Room" looked out at some trees, a giant dirt spot and a chain fence. The pictures showed beautiful green grass, colorful flowers and beautiful areas around the resort, none of which we saw. We make it into our room, what a joke! The bed is terrible, the sheets are old and worn, the pillows are flat and uncomfortable and for 2 people you only get 3 pillows. The floor had a slimy coating over it. The air conditioner was awful, we had it on high the entire time we were there and it never got cold enough to stop us from sweating. The bathroom is very dated and small and the shower is dangerous. You can set the water temperature in the shower to whatever temperature you would like but every other minute it would make a strange noise and then spew out scalding hot water! During every shower you had to pay attention to the noises it makes in order to get out of the way of the boiling water that was about to spray on you. The towels are rough and very small and scratch your skin. The water in the sink never gets cold, it is either warm or hot. The television was small and it was an old style TV (apparently you do not get an updated flat screen, larger TV unless you buy the members only 30 year contract in the 90 minute presentation). The TV was set up on a crooked entertainment unit. Our drink area that is set up with water and soda when you arrive never had any of its water replenished. One of the days we were there it was pouring out (no one can control the weather, that is understandable) so we thought it would be nice to order in and have room service. Unfortunately this all inclusive resort does not have room service. So while it was pouring rain and thundering we had to run out to the buffet to go eat. This buffet area at times, DID NOT have enough seats for everyone. My boyfriend and I walked around with our plates of "food" for 15 minutes one day waiting for a table to free up. The food is terrible, the meat is dead, anything that should be kept cold is not, it is warm. I wanted to have salad, fruit and cereal and it was all warm. Trying to eat warm watermelon or warm milk in your cereal is pretty disgusting. The same foods are served in the buffet for lunch and dinner, almost as if they just recycle the left overs. The only good food there was the french fries. The buffet area is also extremely hot, they do not air condition it at all. If you arrive at the buffet in the later time span you probably will not be able to eat, anything semi-decent is already taken and it does not seem as though the make more and replace, first come first serve. We did not have much cash on us so we decided to use the ATM so that we can tip the bartenders. The resort does not have an ATM on its grounds. We were told that we would have to take a taxi 5 miles into town to use an ATM that gives US currency. So we had to spend $30 on a taxi to take us to an ATM and back. The days that weather permitted us to use the beach was nice, the water was warm the sand is nice. However, the beach is dirty, they had no one cleaning the area of the beach. Seaweed was piled up along the shore line and trash was mixed in with it (take a look at the beach in the photos and it is a clean beach). No areas of the resort live up to the photos, not even remotely. In fact, I don't even think that the pictures were taken at the Viva Wyndham in Freeport. I did not see any spa service there, I did not see that decorated bar that is shows and the other areas such as the lobby and the disco were not anything like the photographs. We even knew going into the vacation that this would be a 3 star resort yet it did not even live up to that. This is a negative star resort. Another damper on the time we spent there were the guests. Never in my life have I been on vacation in a hotel or resort and encountered guests that are so extremely rude. They would stare with dirty looks and cut you off in line. I was standing behind one girl at the drink machine waiting for her to finish getting her drink and as soon as she was done and I was to get my drink a woman walked from right behind me to right in front of me and got her drink and walked away, as if I was invisible. And that was not the first instance of being cut off in lines. It is amazing how all of these guests have no regard whatsoever to anyone around them. We also noticed that majority of the guests were speaking Italian, so at first we were confused, we thought maybe there was some sort of retreat from Italy. I later found out that the Wyndham is an Italian owned chain so I guess that is why it is pretty much occupied with Italians. At first I thought it was pretty neat, being Italian myself, however, after experiencing the severity of the rudeness of these guests, that enjoyability quickly disappeared. This was just about the worst vacation my boyfriend and I experienced. All of these negative things made this a nightmare and left us unable to enjoy our vacation which was actually my birthday present. So you can also say this was the worst birthday I ever had as well. We may as well have taken the $1700 he spent on my birthday vacation and thrown it in the trash. We came home $1700 poorer, a little more tan, with a lot more bug bites and an immense amount of aggravation, frustration and sadness.

Room Tip: Go to a different resort
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
11  Thank chelezerbub
VivaWyndhamFortuna1, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach - An All-Inclusive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2011

Dear Guest

We would like to start with a thank you, for visiting Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach resort as your vacation destination.

We would like to apologize for not meeting up to your expectations during you stay with us, yet we would like you to understand how grateful we are to read your review.

We apologize for not meeting up to your standards and expectations. However, concerning our food and beverage departments, each guest is unique and has different expectations. Our cuisine offers a great variety of options every day in meats, pasta, fish, salads, desserts and appetizers. Although we truly regret you could not find something of your preference.

We regret not having an opportunity to meet with you while you were on property, not to mention systems in place to address each concern as they arise. More importantly, we believe that our invaluable clients are deserving of a worry-free vacation.

On behalf of the staff and management here at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, we would like to apologize once more for the uncomfortable experience you encountered with us, yet we would like to thank you for your hospitality and honest review.

Reviewed 23 August 2011

Because of the low package price, we didn't expect 5-star service and food, but we sure didn't expect 0-star, either. Best parts: the beautiful beach and water, the friendly Bahamians. Worst parts: sloppy maid service (no coffee most days, no new towels most days, sandy floors), no room phones working, and the food was practically inedible. The buffet food was actually gross at dinner and only poor-to-fair for lunch and breakfast. The Asian restaurant had 2 (unchangeable and uninteresting) items on the menu; the Italian one offered a better menu and somewhat better food BUT when we tried to order the $20 (extra cost for better wine), they only had the $40 bottles. All-in-all a regrettable vacation.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank juliecatSarasota

Dear Guest

We are glad that you enjoyed at least the beautiful beach right here at the resort and that the Bahamian people made you feel comfortable and welcomed..

Although we cannot change what has happened in the past, we will utilize your comments for improvement in the future. On behalf of the staff and management, we would like to apologize once more, yet thank you for your hospitality and honest review.

Reviewed 22 August 2011

Some of the reviews I had read was correct. Motel run down, needs lots of TLC and remodeling. If they put you in building C, ask to be moved right away. Terrible building.
However, we moved to building B right on the beach. All the buildings are a long walk from resturants and happenings. Our rooms was ok, 2 star motel I would say. The food was different but good. Had plenty to choose from. The PIZZA is awesome. The italian was good. Did not get in to the Japanese, booked solid while we were there. The bartender on the beach was awesome and helpful. All the bartenders did not skimp on the alcohol, they gave you plenty. Take a large cup so you do not have to make so many trips. Housekeeping very nice , did a great job in taking care of us. Thanks to them.
All in all, we had a blast, we are not sorry we went. Great experience, Everyone very accomadating. When you go, go with the thought that it is a 2 star hotel and the price was a good price. I probably will not return to that hotel until it is updated. They had some awesome shows and lots of activities for children of all ages.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank georgiagirl5333
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Hi, my family and I stayed here in July on the all inclusive vacation plan. We had a really great time. We checked out all the reviews before we went, we worry that when it sounds too good to be true it usually is. We called Rob at gobahama.com and he talked us through all the options we had available to us. He really did a great job of setting expectation of what this resort would be like that when we got here we knew what to expect.

The hotel staff was incredibly nice, the rooms are clean, the food is OK (it's not a 5 star hotel). My recommendation is that this is a resort outside the US, and you're booking a "cheap" vacation. don't expect the Ritz here. Have the right expectation going in. The beaches are clean, the water is fantastic, and true to form, the package is truly all inclusive as advertised. If you like activities, there's tons to do, water sports (consider bringing your own snorkeling equipment, even though the resort provides some, having your own is really nice!) - this really is a fun resort. The Viva Wyndam works hard to ensure you have a good time.

The rooms are OK, again, it's a cheap vacation, I equate the rooms to about a Holiday Inn, I will say the air conditioning in the rooms are amazing. You're not going to be hot in your room, that's for sure.

Rob at gobahama.com told us to get a rental car for a day, he told us there's tons to see on the island off the resort, and he was right. Gold Rock beach and the Our Lucaya National Park underwater caves, Both are definately worth seeing.

For the price we paid, this cheap all inclusive vacation is well worth the price, we'll be going back even if it's just for a quickie get away.

I hope this helps! Enjoy.

Room Tip: Contact a qualified travel expert, know the deals before you go
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Laurie P

Dear Guest

We would like to say thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach as your vacation destination.

We are thrilled to read how you enjoyed your experience here with us and all our staff.

We were pleased to read how you have enjoyed the food in our restaurants, as well as the activities and entertainment. It is always a pleasure to receive the recognition of the hard work our animation staff makes for all the shows we set up for our guests.

It is a pleasure to read that you loved our beach that stretches out of the resort and that you took the opportunity to try our watersport activities.

We are glad that you discovered as well our beautiful island and that you liked it. We would love to welcome you again here in our resort.

On behalf of the staff and management, we would like to say thank you once more for your honest review and for your generous hospitality.

Reviewed 21 August 2011

We stayed at this resort for 2 weeks and a had a great time. The hotel rooms were clean and the ocean view was worth it. I would ask for the newly remodeled rooms as they are nicer. Some of the rooms do not have dressers which could be a problem if you do not like living out of a suit case.

The food was good. However, if you are staying for 2 weeks you do see the same food. We like the buffet the best. I felt the Asian restaurant was good but no variety. My children loved the midnight pizza!!

The staff was very friendly and helpful. Anytime we had a question or a problem they were quick to help us and resolve it.

The snorkeling is wonderful. Yes you should bring water shoes. It can be rocky in the first 5 feet. When the ocean is flat (which it was most of the time) it was like swimming in a bathtub full of fish.

The entertainment was fun. Very typical for a all inclusive resort. However, the trapeze show was amazing.

The only issue I had is with the Cab drivers- extremely expensive for a family of 4- even a 5 minute cab ride can cost you $40 one way.

Improvements:
The bikes on the resort are in need repair. I can share with you that the employee in charge of this puts minimal effort. However, we used them anyway and rode down the beach and had a great time.

The games at the pool were for adults. I have a 12 year son who would participate and even won a few but the gifts were adult only gifts. i would like to see Wyndham to have more activities for the pre-teen and teen children.

However, there are plenty of things for the teens to do- snorkeling, sailing, etc. But my children love to play in the group activities at the pool.

This is a 3 star resort- if you expect more- you will be disappointed. Go in with a great attitude and enjoy the beautiful beach.

The only real complaint I have- we signed up for Wyndham rewards points. We made sure that are stay was recognized prior to our trip, during our trip, and after our trip. 6 weeks later of arguing with Wyndham we were told this this stay does not count. Due to this matter, we probably would not stay at Wyndham resort as they did not honor their loyalty program. This is a a loss for us as we have stayed at Wyndham establishments in the past.

Room Tip: Not a lot of storage space in the room- some rooms you will have to live out of a suitcase
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank luv2travelwithkids

Dear Guest

We were pleased to read how you have enjoyed the food in our restaurants, as well as your room and of course the beautiful beach.

We are more than glad that you enjoyed the service offered by our staff and of course that this was already your second stay in one year! We couldn't get a better recognition from you than that!

We hope that you will revisit us again! If we can do anything for you for your next visit please do not hesitate to contact our Guest Service Department.