All reviews hayward forbes grand bahama scuba taxi driver the activities desk hot tub washer and dryer on site restaurant granite countertops rental car downtown freeport sales people full kitchen dive shop lucaya market resort staff the resort offers scuba diving
Reviewed 24 November 2015

It's a small resort for sure, but cozy. The best part was arriving to our 2 bedroom condo with private balcony. It was big and spacious, lots of amenities, bright, very friendly staff (Beatrice and Nellie particularly) and had a very calm and relaxed atmosphere. The on site restaurant had some good options - I particularly enjoyed the conch strips! We had a couple issues with our room (light and safe) and the maintenance staff were able to assist us promptly. Grocery shuttle was handy!

Weather was gorgeous (32C everyday). The beach was a 10 minute walk away (there was a shuttle as well, but didn't get a chance to use it), and worth the walk.

Yes, of course they try to sell timeshares, but what resort doesn't? The timeshare presentation meal was delicious by the way!

Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 10 November 2015

Stunning place to relax and have a great Holiday. Congrats to all the charming Staff of the hotel. Wish we could have Stayed longer. Crecent wings Suites are just beautiful. Food is excelent, and the cleaing of the Resort overwhelm any body.

Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2015

The room was nice beside the ants constantly coming in through the balcony and going through the kitchen. If you are able to overlook that then the accommodations were excellent. The pool was nice and you could even rent a kayak to take around the marina except the kayak paddles are broken. All the staff members were friendly but Beatrice will try everything to try to get you to go to her timeshare talk. She will even tell you that is the only way she gets paid. We were approached by her on three of our five days there and wouldn't take no for an answer. It would have been all five days I'm sure but we were off diving on two of the days.

Room tip: Ask for a updated room when you book.
Date of stay: October 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 5 October 2015

I just got back from freeport and it is apparently clear that Ocean Reef has overwelmed port Lucaya. Every where you go there is someone trying to get you to tour Ocean Reef. They resort to begging once you tell then no thanks. Every w2here I went I was being harrassed by someone trying to get me to visit Ocean reef. As a former member of that resort I knew that they were trying to rip off their current members by charging them an additional $500.00 assessment above and beyond the annual maintence fee in order to renovate the owners dive of a resort. They constanly try to recruit new members to replace the old members that are quiting and walking away form there memberships. This resort is nothing more that a money grab. They appear to fish for tourists to keep teir heads above water, while not caring about the current membership that they currently have. Their biggest priority is to try to get new members which equal new money for them. Dontr fall into this trap. They go so far as to offer you $70.00 dollare just to visit them you will encounter a high pressure sales pitch and they try not to let you leave until you purchase or just walk away so that they dont have to pay you the $70.00. Buyer Beware...... You will not benefit from this experience.....

Room tip: Stay away you will not regret this advice.
Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
7  Thank DMAN0431
Reviewed 17 September 2015

This was my very first stay on Grand Bahamas and I stayed at the ORYC for one week through a timeshare opportunity and had a one-bedroom unit, which was very clean and spotless.
My stay at this resort was wonderful. Although it was the hurricane season which everyone is afraid of, it only rained once during one night and into the next morning - that was it. I saw dark clouds during the day on one side of the island, and heard the thunder, ..but that was about it. Within 30-40 mins the clouds cleared up.
The temps were in the upper 80 to mid 90's. It's extremely humid and the sun is very intense, so make sure to bring sunblock along.
At the resort they have two pools to chose from, they were clean and well maintained, and due to the time I was there, it was very quiet and I would always find a chair in the shade. If you travel by boat - you can dock your vessel about 30 - 40 ft from your room - very cool.
I saw that resort employees were working on remodeling some of the other units, and I have no clue what other units looked like, but I can't complain about the unit I was in. It was perfect! Of course, due to the fact that this place is a time share resort, the "Ocean Blue-Timeshare Salespeople" will contact you and make sure to invite you to one of those presentations while you are there... it is what it is. Some people feel like it is a very pushy sales pitch and get upset about it, others have a more relaxed attitude about it. If you don't want to do it, don't go.
The resort offers fun nights for entertainment and a bus shuttle twice a week (Sat and Mon) to one of the local grocery stores, so the vacationers can get their groceries - but just to let you know, the prices are almost triple the price of what you'd pay for buying groceries at home.
The people at the resort were very friendly and helpful. Especially Hayward, the cab driver tops it - he helps wherever he can, gets people where ever they need to go and gives advice if you need it. I would certainly stay here again!
By the way: if you are looking for a "party" resort, this should not be your choice. The ORYC is a nice quiet and relaxing resort - perfect to "recharge your batteries" and just what I needed during my stay - thank you, ORYC staff!

Date of stay: September 2015