Pelican Bay at Lucaya is a terrific place to stay at Freeport! This was our first time in Freeport, and the hotel was perfectly located a short taxi ride from the airport, with lovely and helpful staff, including Marissa-- she was friendly and welcoming and went out of her way to ensure that we had a spacious room for our family of four. Highlights:
1. Right next to UNEXSO, if you are coming for any of the amazing dolphin swims or other experiences with this highly reputable diving co.
2. Close to marketplace, with terrific casual restaurants just a 5 minute walk away, including our favourite "Zorba the Greek," where we tried their delicious breakfast, lunch, and dinner throughout and trip and found something for everyone in the family.
3. Room was tidy, spacious, and had a home-like feel like an air bnb, but with service :)
One double bed and one single in the bedroom, and a pull-out sofa in the living room but we found it more comfortable to keep the pull-out closed and just have one of the kids sleep on the sofa. No complaints.
4. The local vendors in the Marketplace are friendly, polite, and helpful. They are there if you need something or have a question, but not pushy or in your face...very respectful and well-mannered people in general.
5. Great variety in visitors-- we met families from Sweden, the US, Canada...everyone was so relaxed and happy to be there.
Keep in mind that August, Sep, and Oct are hurricane season-- lots of rain but sunny times and comfortable cloudy days that allowed us to be outdoors all day without worrying about sunblock and shade. Also, the water temperatures are great! Even the ocean is warmer than our local pools, and the kids LOVED that.
If you want sun, go in January through July. Freeport is definitely much more quiet and peaceful than other Caribbean destinations, such as Nassau. However, the relaxed atmosphere helps you decompress and it means that you can enjoy the amenities without line-ups or crowds-- Pelican Bay had privileges another hotel's beachfront and pool, and we had a huge pool and water slide to ourselves, with the occasional other guest nearby, but so much time & space to relax and enjoy on our own!!!
Pelican Bay at Lucaya is not a flashy resort-- don't except posh, but they take pride in their hotel and have a personal touch and responsiveness that makes it easy to make the most of your holiday-- especially if you are looking for the space to relax and get away from the hustle an bustle!
We loved our stay here, and would come back in a heartbeat!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As Grand Bahama Island's most hospitable hotel, the Pelican Bay is a joyful mix of colorful Bahamian architecture and the finest guest service in the Caribbean. Unique waterside rooms and waterside state rooms enfold you in comfort, while offering special guest touches. Renowned standards of hospitality and attention to guest happiness assure you of a memorable stay in the Bahamas.Part of the Pelican Bay experience is located within steps of your room. In addition to our waterfront Sabor Restaurant and Bar, more than 30 restaurants, bars, shops, live entertainment, the Dolphin Experience, scuba diving, snorkeling, and deep-sea fishing trips are a short stroll away.Immediately across the street are two miles of white sand beach, a full service spa, four "Grand Slam" surface tennis courts and a casino. All this is the happy Pelican Bay experience, one you will remember with fondness. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Pelican Bay at Lucaya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pelican Bay At Lucaya Hotel Freeport
- Pelican Bay At Lucaya Freeport
- Pelican Bay Lucaya
- Pelican Bay At Lucaya Bahamas/Freeport, Grand Bahama Island