My wife and I are from CT and we wanted to have a destination wedding that would also be affordable for our guests to attend. If that is also what you are looking for this is the place for you! We were married on April 20, 2012. From the time we contacted the wedding planner Marva Munroe to let her know we were interested in having our wedding at Pelican Bay to the wedding itself we never had to worry about anything at all. Marva was an absolute gem to work with. She also seems to be well known and respected in Freeport. (Just as a side note, I came down with an terrible eye problem the morning the day we left for the Bahamas and Marva got me in to see an optometrist the same day. They were very friendly and sympathetic and helped me greatly) Everything about the wedding was perfect (including the weather). The gazebo that we were married at has the bright blue bahamian water right behind it. The patio we had our reception on was right on the bay also. Everyone at the reception raved about the food. We picked the sirloin salad for an appetizer and grilled chicken/grouper for the entree so there was something for everyone and there was nary a crumb left on most plates. The passed hors d'oeuvres were excellent also (have to get conch fritters). The booze was plentiful and they had bahamian beers and coronas rather than the usual boring US domestics you would find at weddings. We didn't meet the DJ "Jose the Partymaker" until our reception but he did an awesome job. We had about 30 people there of varying musical interests and everyone was dancing the entire night. He maybe played one slow song after our intitial mother/son etc. dances. The waiters and bartender were great also and they even ended up dancing with all of us by the end. People in the balconies above us seemed to be having a great time too. All in all it was an absolutely perfect night.
The night before the wedding we had everyone go on the water taxi that the hotel has to go to a bonfire dinner as our "rehearsal dinner". This dinner is open to anyone so there were people there besides us and we all had a great time. They had some fun with me and my wife b/c they knew we were getting married. It was all you could eat (good food) and there were endless bahama mamas and just a wild party.
The hotel itself is wonderful and the staff was super friendly. It is also very affordable for your guests to attend. The rooms are big enough where you can comfortably fit 4 people in a room if people are looking to save some money by sharing rooms. They are eclecticly appointed and each room we saw seemed to be a little different but they were wonderful. They bring pastries and a piece of fruit to your door every morning but we also had hot breakfast included with our rooms (in a different building). The hot breakfast was pretty standard with bacon, eggs, cereal, pancakes, etc but it was prepared well enough. There are a few pools on the property and nobody seemed to mind if you were drinking your own booze by the pool as long as it wasn't obvious. We pretty much had the run of the place because we had a large group of people. There is also the water taxi that runs hourly that can take you to a beach. It's only a relaxing 10 minute ride. At the beach there is a pool and waterslide and a cave bar under the waterslide. The cave bar was great when it was open but there didn't seem to be any set hours of business. The Lucayan marketplace was a short walk away (2 minutes) and you could get your beers and alcohol there and bring them back to stock your fridge in your room. There were lots of different restaurants and the food was pretty good (including Domino's after a night of drinking). There was a lot of good energy between the hotel and the marketplace. Marva and the Pelican Bay staff made this an unforgettable wedding and vacation!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As Grand Bahama Island's most hospitable hotel, the Pelican Bay is a joyful mix of colorful Bahamian architecture and the finest guest service in the Caribbean. Unique waterside rooms and waterside state rooms enfold you in comfort, while offering special guest touches. Renowned standards of hospitality and attention to guest happiness assure you of a memorable stay in the Bahamas.Part of the Pelican Bay experience is located within steps of your room. In addition to our waterfront Sabor Restaurant and Bar, more than 30 restaurants, bars, shops, live entertainment, the Dolphin Experience, scuba diving, snorkeling, and deep-sea fishing trips are a short stroll away.Immediately across the street are two miles of white sand beach, a full service spa, four "Grand Slam" surface tennis courts and a casino. All this is the happy Pelican Bay experience, one you will remember with fondness. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Pelican Bay at Lucaya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pelican Bay At Lucaya Hotel Freeport
- Pelican Bay At Lucaya Freeport
- Pelican Bay Lucaya
- Pelican Bay At Lucaya Bahamas/Freeport, Grand Bahama Island